Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 10D

• 05-03-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I just cleaned up my Canon 10D and I'm trying to get out using it a bit more. I know it's a digital dinosaur at this stage but does anybody still use one?

Has there been a massive improvement in picture quality and features with all the newer models, or at the end of the day is a camera still just a box and it's the photographer that makes the photo?

I won't be able to afford anything new for a good while but just curious to hear peoples thoughts on it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

there are people still using ancient film cameras! Of course things have come a long way, but the Image quality from a 10D now, will be the same as the image quality from a 10D when they first came out. Nobody complained then did they? :) Shoot away and have fun. Absolutely nothing wrong with that camera.

What glass have you got to stick on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Cheers for the reply!

Yeah, since I cleaned the sensor to me it seems unbelievable sharp again, I went at the camera a couple years ago with some cheap cleaning fluid and I had streaks and marks left on the sensor that destroyed my enjoyment of it.

Only recently I got around to cleaning it properly and it's like getting a new camera...

I've a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Lens.. both nice lenses, I used to do a lot of music photography and found them both brilliant in low light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Those are some great lenses. Most people will tell you it's all about the glass. Sure, there are better sensors, and better AF and more AF points and faster speeds on newer cameras. But how it handles noise at higher ISO is what I'd want to know? I'm a Nikon user, so not familiar with the 10D, I know at least one member here, Zoegh, uses it though, and her pictures are fine :)

I'm looking forward to taking it out more now and giving it a real test again. Until I get some extra 'pocket money', I won't be getting anything new anyway for a while so hopefully it'll keep me snapping away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

@StrangeGravy, I'd say you have a fine camera there, and a couple of great lenses. I love the 50 f/1.4 myself.(And, I love your shot in the 'doorways' thread)

I have a 40D myself & the ultrasonic sensor cleaning majig really makes very little difference, IMO.

I plan to keep the 40D till it dies, & hopefully invest a bit in lenses & lighting in the meantime, because I think they are more important for general-purpose shooting.

Best of luck,

FoxT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Pic quality is as good as the rest of the xxd range (20d-50d, havent used the 60d) The newer models have features such as video, weather sealing and bigger screens but at the end of the day none of them equal better photos and you have 2 fine lenses there sokepe with the 10d until it gives out on ya :)

Cool, thanks for that guys... I knew that it wouldn't automatically turn into a bad camera once a newer version came out, but I was wondering if the newer ones were a massive improvement over it, I know the pixel count isn't the best compared to todays DSLR's but as ye've pointed out, I never noticed a problem before and I've always had a lot of joy out of the lenses too... just need to make time now to bring it out in the field again to re-test it.

Looking forward to sharing my results for some constructive criticism... :D

Advertisement