Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class numbers.. *tumble weed blows by *

Options
  • 05-03-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Just wondering what the average drop out rate for your class/year has been..
    Feel free to post things you think may have caused them within keeping with mr charter ;D.

Anyways yeah.. I think in first year we started off with 70 down to a 35 now with a solid 30 turing up in third year. Reasons? hmmm well big drop out rate in first year either due to people who didn't read the prospectus or good economy at the time so jobs were easy to get... so making sure you were doing good in college didn't matter to some I guess. 99% sure it wasn't due to anything the college threw at us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I graduated last November and out of a starting number of around 25-30 in electronic engineering, we finished with 5.

The dropout rates in engineering in ITB at the moment are so high that there will be no honours graduates this year (or most likely next).

Main reasons are that the points are low and attract people who are either not up to the course or just aren't bothered.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

For my course, people were just seriously pissed off at how badly it was run, top to bottom. Of course there were people who just didn't like it, didn't want to travel, it wasn't for them etc same as all other courses.

On the computing course last year BN002/BN013/BN104, There was I think 100+ students started and now its around 70. But if you go into the average lecture you will only see 35-50 people.

Like above I would say the high dropout was due to the fact that the course had very low points to attract people in, but when they got in they found they couldn't handle the work load or the just couldn't be bothered...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

On the computing course last year BN002/BN013/BN104, There was I think 100+ students started and now its around 70. But if you go into the average lecture you will only see 35-50 people.

Like above I would say the high dropout was due to the fact that the course had very low points to attract people in, but when they got in they found they couldn't handle the work load or the just couldn't be bothered...

Same experience here, I started BN104 in 2007, we started with about 40, ended up with about 20 at the end of first year. Second year we took intake from PLC people from Killester of about 15 or so, so back around 35 mark for second year. Since then numbers have been about the same, but mainly because we get input of Erasmus (at least 5). Also if you do year-by-year and graduate in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year (as some people in my class have/will) there was an ability to leave to employment until the economy turned.

I can't speak for engineering, but definitely for computing, people think "I can use a computer, sure am I not on Facebook 24/7!!!!" which is exactly the type of people who drop out, don't think you can blame the college for that.

The whole CAO system is flawed, people have to guess which course they want to do. I was lucky, I always knew I wanted to do computing, but for vast majority, they're never 100% sure, which the system needs to cater to (not just telling people, sure do arts, see how you get on).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FenJai

I think its somewhat natural for numbers to drop as the years progress. A combination of people going into the wrong subject, cant handle the work load, general maturity and a host of others causes people to drop the course.

Its a wake up call but an expensive one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Same story here. Computer Engineering.

Started with 40-50 and dropped exponentially from there untill the last year.

Only myself and 7 others graduated. Again I would say it was due to the low entry points and progressively difficult subjects.

There was an elderly man 50+ who had not done maths in 30 years was suddenly trying to get his head around Fourier and Laplace.

Also the campus is a ghost town after 4pm, I always hated that.

Great thread Brendan, or should I say "Ice"?

How is Assplugs btw?

Guess who :P

Advertisement