Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square Foot garden

Options
  • 06-03-2011 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting back into growing my own but this time at home rather than an allotment. I bought 6 * 6' scaffold planks for a 6'*12' bed which I'll be assembling tomorrow. This evening I was doing a little research and came across the square foot method which looks ideal for this. Gardeners.com has an excellent little tool for planning it out too.

I'm not looking at anything exotic here. I've bought a strawberry planter for herbs and a hanging planter for tomatoes.

In the bed I plan on spuds (I've bought 1st, 2nd and mains - 1*6' row of each). After that the usual stuff: carrots, broccoli, turnips (Rubins - nyom nyom even raw), peas (can't remember variety but they grow to 2'), maybe beans, salads (mixed leaves, rocket), sprouts for xmas, garlic for next year, onions, beetroot, parsnips (must keep the loo roll), leeks, corn.

Sounds like a lot but when laid out in a square foot layout it's not really.

Has anyone here tried this method and got any tips or or things to watch out for? I haven't tried this form of intensive farming before so any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well I'm going ahead with this anyway :p

The bed is made, topsoil in and fertiliser added. I've marked out 55 square foot sections with string. Starting to put together my planting plan now.

If anyone's interested in how this works (I'm very curious myself) I'll let you know how I get on. It'll be an interesting experiment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I started SFG last year, found this book extremely useful.

Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Built the first of 2 raised beds today to try out this method too. Please keep us updated on how you're getting on. Tried the library for the book, they tried the whole system, no sign of it :( Did you find it anywhere?

Advertisement