Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Past Exam Papers The Key To Success?

• 06-03-2011 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

I've heard some amazing stories about how people have achieved huge points just from practising exam papers again and again. Do you feel this system works?. Do you know any people who agree with this?. How do you feel is the best way(s) to study and boost your grade and potential points?. Just looking for a general discussion on all things study!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

for sciences certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Sunny!! wrote: »
    for sciences certainly.
    I don't do any science subjects, apart from the core 3 and language I do Business, Geography, Music, Economics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

This strategy works brilliantly. Similar style questions in the LC do seem to have a habit of repeating themselves.

But do go back to at least 8 years of papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

I think this is true. I did Economics too and if you go through those papers in detail and make sure you can answer everything you'll fly through Econs. It's good for hons Maths too and Accounting

For Economics is this good? I'm doing it myself and would to get a high grade.. I think the papers I have go from 2010-1999 would that be enough if I got them right to secure an A?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Michelle Diver

for math it's esencal.
    doing past exam paper gives you a feel for the style of the questions which is inportant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

For Economics is this good? I'm doing it myself and would to get a high grade.. I think the papers I have go from 2010-1999 would that be enough if I got them right to secure an A?

It would be enough to get a good B at least. A's are tough to get in Economics. Only 2.5% get an A1 every year, which is the lowest rate of any honours subject! You need a combination of flair and luck to get into the A bracket. 1999-2010 should sort you out. If you can get 1998 do because there's a very tough elasticity part (c) that year.

i think its really hard to do for business personally

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

for math it's esencal.
    doing past exam paper gives you a feel for the style of the questions which is inportant

yes very true, it not only gives you a feel of the style, but it also shows you the different ways in which they can ask the question which allows you to be better prepared on the actual day

also, i am doing both physics and biology and i find that doing past exam questions is the best way to study for them, especially physics

It would be enough to get a good B at least. A's are tough to get in Economics. Only 2.5% get an A1 every year, which is the lowest rate of any honours subject! You need a combination of flair and luck to get into the A bracket. 1999-2010 should sort you out. If you can get 1998 do because there's a very tough elasticity part (c) that year.
    Thanks so much! I'm looking for at least a B3 in Honours..

Sunny!!: Thanks for the reply what do you mean it's hard for Business?. Does the style of question vary hugely from year to year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does the style of question vary hugely from year to year?

In most papers, no, but you'd be rightly stuck if it did. So many of the Chief Examiners' Reports are mentioning the 'learned off' answers problem that it is only a matter of time before the questions start to change significantly.

The best way to prepare for exams is to learn what is on the syllabus. It is what the exam is based on. Past papers are a help, but I wouldn't rely on them as any indication of what could come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A mix of the two helps. It's good to revise past exam papers for subjects like Maths or Accounting where questions don't vary too much. But even so you still need to look over your text books and notes as there may be as of yet unexamined areas of the syllabus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plus check the syllabus for areas not covered in text books.

Thanks so much! I'm looking for at least a B3 in Honours..

Sunny!!: Thanks for the reply what do you mean it's hard for Business?. Does the style of question vary hugely from year to year?

I find business difficult so it might be just me, like i learned off loads of exam questions for the mocks and still got a poor result.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭TigerIsa

for sciences certainly.

In previous years yes, but I sat my leaving cert last year and had done lots of practice of previous exam papers for chemistry and using the marking scheme I seemed to be doing well and thought this was a good way to study. But the 2010 chem exam was different to other years and the questions were asked in different ways and we all felt really under-prepared for it as we were expecting similarities to other years!

It is a great way to study just be careful you don't forget anything or leave anything out, just because it hasn't been asked in the last 5 years doesn't mean you won't be caught out, i know this from experience trust me :)

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

For all subjects really except English Paper 1 (articles will never be the same and all that jazz!)

For business they are really important. More so for getting to know the marking and how much to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I find business difficult so it might be just me, like i learned off loads of exam questions for the mocks and still got a poor result.

I'm not sure you understand what to do. I don't think many people learn off full answers, as what came up last year won't come up this year (for most subjects anyway). We're talking about learning how to answer the questions. Like in Maths, the way the questions in the books are similar to exam Q's but you couldn't go into the LC without knowing what to expect from past years and how the questions are laid out. Of course it depends on what subjects you are taking but knowing how the marking scheme breaks down and how many points to give for each question can greatly increase your chances of a higher grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

TigerIsa wrote: »
    In previous years yes, but I sat my leaving cert last year and had done lots of practice of previous exam papers for chemistry and using the marking scheme I seemed to be doing well and thought this was a good way to study. But the 2010 chem exam was different to other years and the questions were asked in different ways and we all felt really under-prepared for it as we were expecting similarities to other years!
    If you don't mind me asking,how did you get on in Chemistry?

Advertisement