Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Megadrive arcade stick conversion?

• 06-03-2011 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I have one of these sticks. It never gets used because once you've played games with decent arcade stick and buttons, these feel like junk -

ArcadeStick.JPG

I'd love to mod this with arcade parts. Anyone out there with the know how reckon it's possible? Finding parts to fit would probably be an issue...I'm sure a lot of hacking would need to be done to get the bigger buttons through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well I have one of these bad boys and would also love to change it into an arcade stick that I could use on XBOX.
    I've wanted to so this for a good while now but I really don't have a clue what to do about it. Even if I had all the parts I'd still be stumped about what to do .

joy038.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Crack it open o1s1n & throw up a few pics of the innards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here we go, some pictures. God this stick is a lot dirtier than I remembered :D

joystick1.jpg

I found a thread where someone was thinking about doing the same. He reckons a seimitsu may fit, but went with a mini Hori one from a tekken stick so there's no 100% clarification on that. But anyway, he got the Hori one working..reckons the stick change is a much easier project than the bottons -

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1283

It's back from 2005, so unfortunately the images with it are long gone.

Okay, took the bottom plate off to take some quick photos. Suprisingly enough, the plate is steel. Good heft to it.

joystickinside3.jpg

joystickinside1.jpg

joystickinside2.jpg

Unscrewed the stick base...no wonder it's so crap, not a micro switch to be seen.

joystickunscrewed.jpg

It works on the same rubber pad principle as the standard Megadrive pad! Sega, you cheap bastards!

joystickunscrewed2.jpg

The stick basically has a concaved dome shape that corresponds to a dome on the little board I screwed off. -

joystickunscrewed3.jpg

The next step would be the 'screw off the main PCB and have all the buttons fly everywhere' one..so I'll leave it at that for the moment. I am guessing the stick could be modded anyway without going near the main pcb and just using those 5 wires going to the joystick board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Having known someone who modded one of these into a six-button Playstation stick, I can confirm that it is indeed possible. She had to use 24mm buttons (instead of the standard 30mm buttons) though, and even then it was a bit of a tight squeeze.

I'll try and find a pic or two soon.

Master of the Universe

You serious? Wow, that's great to hear! Pics would be fantastic. Thanks a million :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well I can't see the button mechanisms, but the d-pad just looks like it's pcb based as opposed to microswitches. It would indeed be possible to mod it, but some pcb hackery would be required & if the buttons are the same, it wouldn't be just a matter of dropping in proper ones.

You'd need to find the circuit on the pcb that the existing button presses, break the circuit, & connect either side of the break to an arcade microswitch to activate it...though all that depends on it being pcb activated in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Finally found a pic:

Picture3420.jpg

Master of the Universe

:eek:

Thanks for that! Really interesting mod. That's pretty much what I was looking to see.

So I take it the whole original button/stick casing was removed under where the overlay is? I never thought of doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Holly is probably top modder up North IIRC
    I've seen that stick; it's tiny!

At a glance, I'm guessing that the art is under a piece of plexi, which provides the plate necessary for mounting the buttons too.
    The stick is likely Seimitsu LS-33 or Sanwa JLF (smallest possible sticks).

@pdbhp:
    Bring that stick to a Saturday XGC session & I'll give it an appraisal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    @pdbhp:
    Bring that stick to a Saturday XGC session & I'll give it an appraisal.

Thanks Kiki I'll bring it with me nest time I'm about:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement