Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Smurfit:Msc Marketing Practice

Options
  • 06-03-2011 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello there :D

I have an interview for this course in less then a fortnight and am wondering if some students or graduates from the course could give me some first hand info?

I'm required to give a 5 min presentation as to why I want to do the course. I'm assuming this will be straight forward enough like I'm hoping a verbal presentation is sufficient but if anyone has any tips , I would really appreciate it. I was told the interview is 45 mins so I have a feeling it's going to be a tough one and want to be fully prepared!

I'm aware the course is pretty expensive and am wondering if you think it's worth the money? I could do the marketing course in DCU or DIT for less so the course would need to be pretty outstanding for the sake of an extra 4-5 grand!

I'm aware there are other threads about the course but I'd like to get some up to date information and some student perspectives. If you know anything that might be of benefit to me, please do share!

Many Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rednblack

I am currently in the application process and also looking for information.

Lost arrow have you any feedback on how the interview went?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lost Arrow

No,not yet.The receptionist told me they'll notify people in early April.Apparently they had a lot of applicants.Then again they extended the deadline so I wonder why they did that if they had so many applicants in the first place.Interview was tough enough,I'm not too hopeful.Would be amazing to get it though:rolleyes:

Yea its strange that the deadline was put back.
    I havent heard anything back yet so still hoping to get called for the interview process.
    Have you completed the individual and group interviews?
    Any tips for the interview? they would be greatly appreciated, in a similar situation to yourself

It's a tough enough interview,about 45 mins.I didn't have a group interview for it.I think if u do research into the marketing industry at the moment it will help.Also be well able to relate your undergrad to the masters.My undergrad was very different to marketing so I got a grilling and my interview became more about that.It all happens very quickly,do loads of research on the course and try and shape the direction of the interview yourself.They take in everything you say and pick their questions based on what your saying so it can go well enough providing your clear and firm on what your talking about.;)

Thats great lost arrow thanks.
    Did you have to do the 5 min presentation in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Lost Arrow wrote: »
    No,not yet.The receptionist told me they'll notify people in early April.Apparently they had a lot of applicants.Then again they extended the deadline so I wonder why they did that if they had so many applicants in the first place.Interview was tough enough,I'm not too hopeful.Would be amazing to get it though:rolleyes:

More people=more money for UCD. They were probably getting regular applications so put back the deadline. That particular course is always well subscribed.

rednblack wrote: »
    Thats great lost arrow thanks.
    Did you have to do the 5 min presentation in the end?

You do it at the beginning,its kinda funny cause ur sitting for like 5 seconds and then they ask you for the presentation,think it's best to stand up for it then.That's what I did anyway...:D

More people=more money for UCD. They were probably getting regular applications so put back the deadline. That particular course is always well subscribed.

Damn,that can't be good!You wouldn't imagine ppl would hav the 12,500 for it at the mo!:confused: I know that almost put me off applying.Ah well what happens happens...Gona apply for DCU and maybe DIT as well to be safe!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 crammer123

your sitting down when they ask you to make the presentation? eek that sounds a little awkward! think they would ask you to do it the min you come in!

Have mine in the morning, bet ill fall over the chair or something when I go to stand up again!!!:rolleyes:

Any really tricky questions? they must really grill you if the interview lasts 45 minutes. How long would you say you were there for in total, like interview + waiting time? and did you get seen on time?

Thanks!:)

crammer123 wrote: »
    your sitting down when they ask you to make the presentation? eek that sounds a little awkward! think they would ask you to do it the min you come in!

Have mine in the morning, bet ill fall over the chair or something when I go to stand up again!!!:rolleyes:

Any really tricky questions? they must really grill you if the interview lasts 45 minutes. How long would you say you were there for in total, like interview + waiting time? and did you get seen on time?

Thanks!:)

Wow this is a popular course:eek: No tricky questions as such.Just some stuff about the marketing industry,like scenario type questions etc but they may have just done this with me because of my not so relevant undergrad...:rolleyes:If you're from a business background u'll be more than fine!It was 40-45 mins in total.The min you go to reception your seen to by someone so not that much waiting around! The presentation is the best bit cause you're just talking about yourself like it's not nerve wrecking at all.U will be grand,best of luck :)

Lost Arrow wrote: »
    Wow this is a popular course:eek: No tricky questions as such.Just some stuff about the marketing industry,like scenario type questions etc but they may have just done this with me because of my not so relevant undergrad...:rolleyes:If you're from a business background u'll be more than fine!It was 40-45 mins in total.The min you go to reception your seen to by someone so not that much waiting around! The presentation is the best bit cause you're just talking about yourself like it's not nerve wrecking at all.U will be grand,best of luck :)

Oh thats great..thanks so much..you have really put my mind at rest!hopefully ill be very calm going in now!:)

yea seems very popular, theres almost 100% employment coming out of it so I think even though its over priced its def worth the money!

Thanks again and best of luck with the rest of the process!:D

• Advertisement

Oh thats great..thanks so much..you have really put my mind at rest!hopefully ill be very calm going in now!:)

yea seems very popular, theres almost 100% employment coming out of it so I think even though its over priced its def worth the money!

Thanks again and best of luck with the rest of the process!:D

No problemo,it does seem like a great course,fingers crossed:D

crammer123 how'd your interview go? any useful tips?

rednblack wrote: »
    crammer123 how'd your interview go? any useful tips?

Shocking...toughest interview I have ever been through!not expecting too get called back.. if you want any specific info pm me :o

Shocking...toughest interview I have ever been through!not expecting too get called back.. if you want any specific info pm me :o
    Don't worry about it,we're all prob in the same boat,guess they have to be that tough on purpose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsMess

Has anyone heard back from them yet? I had my interview about a month ago and havent heard anything yet.

Nope,nothing.It's really strange,we should have heard back by now.It's a joke.I got an email from the Aspire scholarship saying I didn't get it and then a few days later,they emailed me again with a form that I have to fill out in order to move on to the next stage.I'm really confused.I don't see the point in putting effort into getting the scholarship when I don't think I'll get the course.:(

The wait is awful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Angela166

Hi there!

I am having the interview next wednesday.. Could you maybe give me some more information about specific questions they asked? And are they really going in depth about the current marketing scene?
    All information is more than welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsMess

Hey. Do you have your first interview next wednesday?? Thats so late, I thought they were all finished!

What they did for me was related everything I had on my CV to marketing. So for example I said I had a part time job in a bar so they asked how I would market the bar. I also said I did promotions so they asked have any of the promotions ever gone wrong and what did I do to fix it. Then they asked my loads of general questions on print media, social media etc. It was a tough interview but its the only interview I've ever done so if you've had a few already you will be fine!

Oh and when you go in first you have to fill out a form and they ask for your referees and their contact numbers. Luckily I decided to bring a copy of my CV at the last minute but otherwise I wouldn't have had them cos I left my phone in the car!! So bring your referees numbers!!

Best of luck!!

I got through to the second round interviews. Have mine next friday. Has anyone else done the group interview yet? Whats it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Angela166

Yes, my first interview! I just applied on the day of the deadline, thats why! My interview will be through skype, since i am in brazil right now. So i wonder how different it will be! I have no idea if i can even do a group interview, since i wont be back untill august. but thank you for your advise! And good luck with your group interview!

I have a group interview this Friday.It's 3 hours long.I'd say it will be tough,I'm not from a business background so best start digging out a few marketing books from the ole library.Guaranteed they'll put us in a fake scenario thing.:confused: Anyone applying for marketing masters elsewhere?I've an interview for the DCU one in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement