Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why all the U2 hate???

Options
  • 06-03-2011 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Sure Bono needs to be told he's not a politician or a big cool guy, but no bands are perfect.

Other than that, U2 are a fantastic band. They've written amazing songs, The Edge is one hell of a skilled guitarist and they have era-defining albums under their belts (The Joshua Tree).

I just think its pure jealousy. Jealousy on part of anyone who would love to be in a band that sold 170 million records worldwide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I don't hate them. I don't really like them either. I'm ambivalent to them.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

not a major fan of U2 or anything but I appreciate their music even if Bono is extremely annoying

I think it down to good auld Irish begrudgery*

*A peculiar disease of the Irish which seemingly renders them unable to to feel good about the success of their fellows.

Two big reasons spring to mind very quickly, and I suppose they're two among many:

-Most people who still follow rock and pop music are far too young to remember the last time U2 wrote and recorded a quality body of work. The vast majority of their output since the early '90s has been a lazy churn of paint-by-numbers U2-lite, with Bono's increasingly lame lyrics described by one critic as a "meaningless word salad".

-By their shameless hypocrisy, they are causing great damage to those who live in poverty, and to those who campaign to eradicate poverty - the very people U2 claim to champion. It is deeply cynical to monopolise the airwaves in regular, righteous displays of moral indignation, and then when the cameras are turned off do one's best to pay as little tax as possible, and amass as much wealth as their bank accounts can hold.

Few would argue that they should take a vow of poverty, but they should at least pay their tax, sell their shares in dodgy companies, stop talking about climate change when they stage the most environmentally-damaging tour of all time, and agree not to pal up with war criminals ever again. They talk like a charity and a band, but act like a business and a particularly snide religion. This inflicts harm on those who deserve better, and is immoral.

It's difficult to understand how a band can still talk with reverence for the values of Joe Strummer while the business pages report the workings of billion-dollar "investment vehicle" Elevation Partners, or of solidarity with the people of Tibet and Burma while the papers report on the aquisition of another mansion. But that's hypocrites for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

karaokeman wrote: »

I just think its pure jealousy. Jealousy on part of anyone who would love to be in a band that sold 170 million records worldwide.

Maybe just maybe, most people who don't like them think their music is rubbish ???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A) They claimed to be from ballymun to earn themselves some sort of working class kudos

B) Bono

C) They've always been media whores, everything is a stunt for PR. They've never had a vision or purpose like the really great bands, it's always a pose.

D)Bono

E) they really aren't much cop musically, they just try to ride the zeitgeist of the era, like their embarrassing discovery of dance music.

F) F***ing Bono

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Auvers wrote: »
    not a major fan of U2 or anything but I appreciate their music even if Bono is extremely annoying

I think it down to good auld Irish begrudgery*

*A peculiar disease of the Irish which seemingly renders them unable to to feel good about the success of their fellows.

bono-begrudgery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

The Edge is one hell of a skilled guitarist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Go2DK9VtQ

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why so much hate/dislike? well there's various reasons really....
    • first and foremost > without doubt irish begrudgery (less so nowadays but its still there)
    • Bono's preaching rubs some people up the wrong way esp in the early days when he would never shut his cake hole
    • Bono's speaking out against the IRA's bombing of enniskillen in the rattle & hum movie did not endear him to republicans
    • and also the fact that they're proddys (except Larry he's a mick*) > don't mean to stir up anything here but lets face it proddys are always looked upon as "outsiders" and "west brits" in southern irish society
    *irish catholic
    think Bono comes from a mixed marriage

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Because they are hypocritical ****es that have been doing the Jackson Browne thing for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I have to agree with the previous post's on this thread, the reason why U2 are not liked is BONO. Such an annoying person

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭RayCon

To be honest its very hard to see past Bono ... jaysus he's an annoying twat., but apart from that Ive never liked them .... nothing to do with begrudery , just DONT LIKE THEIR SONGS.

The one thing I do like that they released was The Unforgettable Fire ... everything else is forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I don't particularly dislike them. Some of their older stuff was ok. I just find that whenever one of their songs are on the radio, I tend to switch over to something else. I just find them boring more than anything else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think Irish Begrudgery only kicks in when the people in question start acting like they're mega famous world wide rock stars.

Bono has always been a bit of a twat, but I thought it was just him, until I saw The Edge being interviewed at Glastonbury last year and he actually referred to himself in the 3rd person as "The Edge".

I'm always happy to see Irish people do well for themselves but when they start acting like that I can't be bothered with them.

Look at Colin Farrell, everyone loved him when he first broke into Hollywood, then he started acting like a complete dick and suddenly he wasn't so popular.

I think Irish Begrudgery is basically that we like Irish people to do well, but not to act like they're doing well. :) We're a strange bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

In school they were the band the lads who weren't into music much liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

The Edge is one hell of a skilled guitarist
    Just to add to the reverenddave link. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Cole wrote: »
    Just to add to the reverenddave link. Truth is stranger than fiction.

didn't work ???

EDIT: now it worked in the quote :D

stupid git just shoots himself in the foot
    admitting how crap he is
    yet people still buy there albums and go to their gigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

and he's a Brit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I like U2 - well, up to 1993. Since then, their stuff has been very bland bar the odd exceptional song. I think Bono's a knob but he doesn't irritate me anywhere near as much as he does others. However I hate when accusations of jealousy get thrown out - that if you don't share the same taste as many others, you're obviously jealous. Proof? Some people just don't like U2's music - the fact they're popular doesn't make that an impossibility. A band's brilliance is subjective. Even if there are objective elements - Bono does have a good voice, The Edge is a good guitarist - they STILL might not be a person's thing.

And the only thing "typical" about "Irish begrudgery" is that it's always being lazily thrown out - I have yet to see such a pattern in real life. This just in: it's not exclusively an Irish thing! :eek:
    And it can't be that commonplace when so many hordes of Irish people decry it (they're obviously not begrudgers themselves). "Typical Irish disgust at non respect of one's 'betters'" might be more apt... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Dudess wrote: »
    I like U2 - well, up to 1993. Since then, their stuff has been very bland bar the odd exceptional song. I think Bono's a knob but he doesn't irritate me anywhere near as much as he does others. However I hate when accusations of jealousy get thrown out - that if you don't share the same taste as many others, you're obviously jealous. Proof? Some people just don't like U2's music - the fact they're popular doesn't make that an impossibility. A band's brilliance is subjective. Even if there are objective elements - Bono does have a good voice, The Edge is a good guitarist - they STILL might not be a person's thing.

And the only thing "typical" about "Irish begrudgery" is that it's always being lazily thrown out - I have yet to see such a pattern in real life. This just in: it's not exclusively an Irish thing! :eek:
    And it can't be that commonplace when so many hordes of Irish people decry it (they're obviously not begrudgers themselves). "Typical Irish disgust at non respect of one's 'betters'" might be more apt... :)

100% agree with you on the begrudgery thing. Annoys the bejasus out of me that you can't criticise anything Irish without the begrudgery thing being thrown out at you. Unbelievably stupid...

• Advertisement

It's either begrudgery or music snobbery - heaven forbid it's just not liking the act in question. Everyone has at least one "credible" act they personally dislike, including those who lash out the begrudgery/jealousy/snobbery accusations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

It's cool to hate U2 these days but I love them.

The last two records were a little patchy but they still feature some of their best songs.

Bar teenagers, people dislike a band because they simply don't enjoy their musical output, not to be cool. What's best by them is all a matter of opinion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

RayCon wrote: »
    To be honest its very hard to see past Bono ... jaysus he's an annoying twat., but apart from that Ive never liked them .... nothing to do with begrudery , just DONT LIKE THEIR SONGS.

This about sums it up for me. Quite apart from the personal issues, or begrudgery etc, their music just does not do anything for me and never has done from the very start. Also, someone mentioned the Edge being an excellent and gifted guitarist. That's a matter of opinion, and one I most definitely do not share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Dudess wrote: »
    Bar teenagers, people dislike a band because they simply don't enjoy their musical output, not to be cool. What's best by them is all a matter of opinion too.

this,

I'm not going to discuss the personalties of the band members, just that I don't and never have enjoyed the music they make - I don't "hate" U2 - they don't enter my thoughts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Begrudgery has nothing to do with it, thank you. Musically they have been flogging a dead horse for 10 years+. By this stage its just brand and product. The bottom line with any branded product is the money.

Music aside, my own personal peeve is their stance on file sharing. Any band that is willing to criminalise their fans is beneath my contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Actung Baby and Zooropa I liked also some of the stuff on Pop was pretty good. After that, I've found most of their stuff pretty bland. Over the years they've had some great songs, though I wouldn't bother listening to much of it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

boidey wrote: »
    Musically they have been flogging a dead horse for 10 years+.

I still did not like them, even when that horse was a foal ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Nolanger wrote: »
    and he's a Brit!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

i like U2's early stuff thb

its actually the people who like u2 that make me dislike them. they usually have no other taste in music and listen to U2 because "their the biggest band in the world".

i'm think total muck savages from the mid-lands

Advertisement