Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why all the U2 hate???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Dudess wrote: »
    Bar teenagers, people dislike a band because they simply don't enjoy their musical output, not to be cool.

Of course it's a factor.Posts 16 & 31 prove the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Never really got into them. Some of their songs are good. That Bono is a bleeding headwrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Johnny Whelan

I'm not concerned with the cult of personality. When talking about a band, I ask one question - Are they any good? - Well I'm afraid U2 is a one trick pony. Look at Bowie for example, every album is completely different. But, if you've heard one U2 song, you've heard them all. Brian Eno showed U2 how to be different and they've been the same ever since. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

karaokeman wrote: »
    Sure Bono needs to be told he's not a politician or a big cool guy, but no bands are perfect.

Other than that, U2 are a fantastic band. They've written amazing songs, The Edge is one hell of a skilled guitarist and they have era-defining albums under their belts (The Joshua Tree).

I just think its pure jealousy. Jealousy on part of anyone who would love to be in a band that sold 170 million records worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

I'm not concerned with the cult of personality. When talking about a band, I ask one question - Are they any good? - Well I'm afraid U2 is a one trick pony. Look at Bowie for example, every album is completely different. But, if you've heard one U2 song, you've heard them all. Brian Eno showed U2 how to be different and they've been the same ever since. Sad but true.

+

= You're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yup pop is exactly the same as war thats the same as the joshua tree :rolleyes: Every Queen album sounds basically the same - must be a sh1te band then.

It is partly irish begrudgery imo and a lot of hipster views - "So many people like them; they must not be cool!!" or "I only like their early stuff"

i can understand hating bono but their music is very good compared to most of the main stream stuff out there and they are amazing live.

why isnt there this much hate for the Stones if its about 'floggin a dead horse' as most people claim?

and one more edit: edge is one of the best guitarists in the world at creating sounds - he's like a producer for the guitar (and the bands tone) and while most guitarists would say he is technically limited, he puts a lot of guitarists to shame through the way he uses the guitar as an instrument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Whatever about people not liking Bono, he doesn't bother me in anyway, I think to equate the fact that some people might not like something Irish is down to begrudgery or jealousy is beyond retarded. Why does music criticism cease to be a factor if I'm talking about U2? Because I criticize their music it is not because I'm trying to cut them down to size or because I'm jealous of their success, it's because I don't like what I hear. Understand?

I've said I liked a couple of their albums and would agree with most that there last few albums have been pretty much paint by numbers and not exhibiting the same spirit or quality of the earlier albums. To have liked a band and some of their albums while not liking some of their later output does not in itself represent a hipster view - ffs I don't think you'd have a hipster commenting on a U2 thread do you? They're too busy trying to do something vaguely creative…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Whatever about people not liking Bono, he doesn't bother me in anyway, I think to equate the fact that some people might not like something Irish is down to begrudgery or jealousy is beyond retarded. Why does music criticism cease to be a factor if I'm talking about U2? Because I criticize their music it is not because I'm trying to cut them down to size or because I'm jealous of their success, it's because I don't like what I hear. Understand?

I've said I liked a couple of their albums and would agree with most that there last few albums have been pretty much paint by numbers and not exhibiting the same spirit or quality of the earlier albums. To have liked a band and some of their albums while not liking some of their later output does not in itself represent a hipster view - ffs I don't think you'd have a hipster commenting on a U2 thread do you? They're too busy trying to do something vaguely creative…

yes but there is a lot of hate and vitriol spouted about for U2 - not indifference, which most sane people have about the music they dont like, it's like Bono has walked up to these people and kicked them square in the balls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I don't like them due to their music and me not thinking it's very good. To me they are in that safety, middle of the road zone along with the Script. To be fair I don't know many people that do like U2, and those that do also think Michael Buble is a 'lovely singer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

U2 are legends and Bono I have to say is great for using his celebrity status for doing good unlike the majority of celebrities out their so I have to say he and U2 have deserved their success,And fingers crossed they'll come to Ireland to play in concert soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

yes but there is a lot of hate and vitriol spouted about for U2 - not indifference, which most sane people have about the music they dont like, it's like Bono has walked up to these people and kicked them square in the balls...

In fairness, if I'm slagging off something I don't like, my language and my description of my dislike of that thing is generally going to be greatly exaggerated.

The problem I have, and it was on the Beady Eye thread, is this whole use of the word 'haters'. It's as if people can't handle criticism or take it too personally. Come on, people, it's a bunch of randomers typing away on their computers - don't take it so personally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I find U2 as interesting as take that or the script to be honest. And I dont like either take that or the script.

even though its a piss take, I still think this is a damn funny video. More entertaining that *actually* listening to U2

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

The final nail in the coffin for me was when Bono started dressing up as a pint sized demon and speaking with an English accent. Stupid little Bo!!ox

MajorMax wrote: »
    The final nail in the coffin for me was when Bono started dressing up as a pint sized demon and speaking with an English accent. Stupid little Bo!!ox

he always sang with one, even in the earlier days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Their finest work IMO, and yet wasnt released under the U2 name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭RayCon

why isnt there this much hate for the Stones if its about 'floggin a dead horse' as most people claim?

Couldn't agree more - they plateaued with Exile on Main St and that was nearly 40yrs ago ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't hate U2, I just don't think they're very good.

And yes The Edge is quite possibly the most overrated guitarist in history, next to Kirk Hammett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I don't like them due to their music and me not thinking it's very good. To me they are in that safety, middle of the road zone along with the Script. To be fair I don't know many people that do like U2, and those that do also think Michael Buble is a 'lovely singer'.

That about sums it up in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

U2's music might be a lot better these days if Bono didn't want to be heard all the time on the World stage (an ordinary stage like last year's Spider/Crab just isn't big enough for Bono any more) he has no power whatsoever when it come to World politics, sure he may have had the ear of Dubya and Blair but they probably didn't listen to him. Bono had nothing of any relevance to say to Pope JPII when he met him, except to "honour" the Pontiff with a pair of His sunglasses...Bono was later quoteds in the Phoenix magazine "it was really cool meeting the old man from Poland"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I don't think I've ever met a real U2 fan who likes Michael Buble. My mum hates U2 and loves Michael Buble, quite the contary.

U2 fans are into all the other stuff that has been influenced by U2, eg Coldplay, Snow Patrol, The Script, The Fray, Oasis etc.

If you want to call U2 pop just say it, I've heard it hundreds of times over. This was discussed to death in the "unpopular music opinions" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Cole wrote: »
    Just to add to the reverenddave link. Truth is stranger than fiction.

He's uses effects, why is that a big deal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

smokedeels wrote: »
    He's uses effects, why is that a big deal :confused:

That video is totally out of context, he's explaining how he comes with sounds and effects in the 'It Might Get Loud' film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

karaokeman wrote: »
    I just think its pure jealousy. Jealousy on part of anyone who would love to be in a band that sold 170 million records worldwide.

I hate listening to this crap, i'm never going to make billions, i'd need my head checked if I was jealous of someone who managed it.
    I don't like them because -

1. Bono is an insufferable arsehole
    2. Bono is a total hypocrite
    3. The vast majority of what they've released in the past 20 years is pure ****e
    4. Off the top of my head I can only think of the Beatles that I consider more over hyped

Advertisement