Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a foreign Blackberry work?

Options
  • 06-03-2011 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I have a friend coming to visit from Indonesia and am tempted to ask them to bring a Blackberry Bold with them. I wonder if Im wasting my time. Is it possible it is compatible with any current networks or would it be locked out of action. Im currently O2 and have been for 10 years plus but Id be happy to change if it meant a decent upgrade on my battered old nokia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

To use blackberry internet services and blackberry messenger you'll need a blackberry licence, check out the cost on all the networks first, I know 3 is €10 + vat pm o2 could be up around €30pm. If your upgrading or moving networks you can probably pick one up for less here on contract rather than paying full price for one abroad.

If your not already a blackberry user there's loads of other smart phone's to choose from that don't attract an extra premium every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

To use blackberry internet services and blackberry messenger you'll need a blackberry licence, check out the cost on all the networks first, I know 3 is €10 + vat pm o2 could be up around €30pm. If your upgrading or moving networks you can probably pick one up for less here on contract rather than paying full price for one abroad.

If your not already a blackberry user there's loads of other smart phone's to choose from that don't attract an extra premium every month.

Cheers for that, didnt have a notion about the license before. So when I pay for the licence it covers all my browsing costs for the month...thats pretty nifty for the €10 + vat. On the otherhand O2 seems far too much but Im not very surprised. As a pay as you go customer I find their internet charges have always been much too stiff.
    Im not Blackberry user yet and Im not in a situation that I want to join any sort of longterm contract. A lot of them seem to be 18-24 months and Im considering that I might be heading off in a 6-12months time.

Advertisement