Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi driver refused fare - "Not going that way"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Spook_ie wrote: »
    @OP Yes it happens, I wouldn't get worked up over it like some posters, you did the right thing just take another taxi

Thanks Spook. I wouldn't get worked up over something as silly as this. Started an interesting discussion though. Are you a driver in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Happened to me once, worst thing about it was that he took me on board and then pulled into the Topaz at the Bohermore roundabout and said that he wouldn't bring me any further (it was about 6 miles from there) unless he received cash upfront. I showed him that I had plenty of cash to pay but would hand it over when the journey was complete. He wouldn't accept this so I got out. He wasn't local and I think he didn't realise where he was going until I had got in and probably didn't fancy doing a fare out to the suburbs. He would have been back in town in less than 15 minutes though.

I avoid using taxis whenever possible. Too many bad experiences. A lot of guys are out to rip you off, especially if they think you're intoxicated. Galway is the worst city for this by far, probably due to saturation in the market. Never had a problem in Dublin, Limerick or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

BESman wrote: »
    Happened to me once, worst thing about it was that he took me on board and then pulled into the Topaz at the Bohermore roundabout and said that he wouldn't bring me any further (it was about 6 miles from there) unless he received cash upfront. I showed him that I had plenty of cash to pay but would hand it over when the journey was complete. He wouldn't accept this so I got out. He wasn't local and I think he didn't realise where he was going until I had got in and probably didn't fancy doing a fare out to the suburbs. He would have been back in town in less than 15 minutes though.

I avoid using taxis whenever possible. Too many bad experiences. A lot of guys are out to rip you off, especially if they think you're intoxicated. Galway is the worst city for this by far, probably due to saturation in the market. Never had a problem in Dublin, Limerick or Cork.

A driver is entitled to request payment upfront ( based on an estimate, the difference being settled at the end of the journey ) showing you have cash does not mean you won't do a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Tbh he probably has a day job! I doubt full time taxi drivers are so choosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Got taxi from Monaghans garage to Clybaun Hotel knocknacarra,
    Fare = 17euro ,:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fair Price ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Got taxi from Monaghans garage to Clybaun Hotel knocknacarra,
    Fare = 17euro ,:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fair Price ?

It's a fair old trek alright. I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Columc wrote: »
    Is there much compition in Ennis for taxis?
    Not usually no, but on weekends after the night club there is a demand for taxis and they sometimes refuse long journeys.

Advertisement