Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Higher Diploma in Computer Science: your opinion

• 06-03-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am interested in doing Higher Diploma in Computer Science in UCC (hopefully followed my Masters in Computer Science afterwards).
    Could you advise me on Higher Diploma? Do you think it gives lots of practical experience in order to get into I.T.?
    I am worried one year with Higher Diploma and one year doing Masters will not be sufficient to get a good job in I.T.?
    (My bachelors degree is not computer related)

Appreciate your opinion on the course!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

I've not heard good things about the course, 2 friends of mine did it because they thought it would fast-track them into I.T but unfortunately it was not worth much to them. The CS degree itself is very tough and employers recognise that... if I were you, just go back and start the degree from scratch!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭simona

rememberthis, thanks so much for your opinion! I think I am crossing out this course from my list :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Actually I found it quiet useful and provided a range of skill sets for employment, though I went on to do an MSc after that course.
    However, that said the poster rememberthis is right about the BSc CS being now the minimum level for most IT jobs in the current economic climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi, maybe this thread be useful for you. I did a Higher Diploma course in Applied Computing Technology in UCC. It be worthwhile looking into the other computer science threads here. I'd suggest you do a FAS pre-prep course in IT or a Masters rather than starting from scratch into a degree in CS but that's just my view on it, it be handy to have the H dip in computing, it may or may not fast track you into an IT job depending on your background and work experience, it be interesting if you can compliment the two areas if possible. If you are starting from scratch and have little or no experience in IT then you need to start off small and work your way up, doing short courses and then maybe doing a third level course.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932072&highlight=applied+computing+technology

Good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kalipix

Hello I am in a dilemma regarding this course. I started in October and badly badly need advice from someone who has done this course. I hope you don't mind my asking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Hi Kalipix, What problem are you having with the course?

Advertisement