Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wondering why ( Housing list?RA)

• 06-03-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering why you have to be on the Housing List to get RA?

The house here is fine; we like it, but we are on a very low income and need RA.

No way do we want to move again and the Housing Officer and CWO know this. With old age and disability moving is a dreadful stress.

So why?

I was told that the rules have changed again; now if you refuse two offers UNLESS THERE ARE REASONABLE GROUNDS for doing so) you lose the RA for two years. This was this week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

The reason why you have to go on the housing list is because it costs the state alot of money paying private rents to landlords, its cheaper if they put you into a house.
    I have known people that have had to wait a very long time to get a council house. I think the average waiting time is about 5 years. We had to apply for council housing as like yourself we need help with the rent, we are still waiting to be interviewed by the council to even be put on the list and I dont see us getting a house offer within the next 3 years and hope to have a job by then and not need the RA or the council house,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Trish2007 wrote: »
    The reason why you have to go on the housing list is because it costs the state alot of money paying private rents to landlords, its cheaper if they put you into a house.
    I have known people that have had to wait a very long time to get a council house. I think the average waiting time is about 5 years. We had to apply for council housing as like yourself we need help with the rent, we are still waiting to be interviewed by the council to even be put on the list and I dont see us getting a house offer within the next 3 years and hope to have a job by then and not need the RA or the council house,

For this, thank you. Always money and control; the Housing Officer said they want to get everyone into council housing....

Wondering how it works out cheaper when they have all the upkeep etc...

The previous tenants here had kids and it took I think three years to house them so , please God, it will be a very long time. I am too old for any more moves, frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Graces7 wrote: »
    For this, thank you. Always money and control; the Housing Officer said they want to get everyone into council housing....

Wondering how it works out cheaper when they have all the upkeep etc...

The previous tenants here had kids and it took I think three years to house them so , please God, it will be a very long time. I am too old for any more moves, frankly.

To be fair, the country is broke. If it is cheaper to house people in council housing, so be it. It is one of the few areas of social welfare spending where savings can be made with the main suffering being the requirement to move.

Alternatively, the Govt. could cut the rates of social welfare instead and that would have a worse effect.

Advertisement