Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quietbuild for around €550

Options
  • 06-03-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi I am getting my first custom PC and i would like some advice on what to get after looking at some of the other posts here and seeing your recommendations this is what i have come up with .
    AMD Athlon II X4 645 Box AM3(maybe 955)
    ASRock 880G Extreme3, AM3, ATX
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - Pro PWM Rev.2
    4GB-Kit G-Skill Ripjaws PC3-10667U CL9
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz
    Xigmatek GO GREEN Series PSU 80plus -500 Watt
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 5450 OC, 512MB DDR3, PCI-Express
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/( just for win since i have a 2tb)
    Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7260S, SATA, Schwarz, bulk
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Total is around 540 with shipping

Dont know much about PSUs but this one had good reviews i want something quiet with no leds:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is this a gaming rig or something else?
    why do you need a 500gb HDD just for windows? also, if you're set on a 500gb, get a samsung spinpoint F3.

the graphics card is pants for gaming, and definitely needs an upgrade if thats the use. what resolution is your screen?

you should ask for your thread to be moved to the stickied "Budget gaming builds" and read through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fluffypants

No this is not a gaming build thats why i did not think to put it in the Budget gaming builds its just a Quiet everyday pc most intensive thing that i will be doing with it is movie editing or my little bro playing Roblox . Graphics are not really a proirity at the moment but i will probibly upgrade when i can afford it:o

I,ll be switch the samsung for the WD after reading some of the coments about the two but what i really need advice about is the PSU and how quiet this set up would be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Scrap the GPU altogether, IMO. The onboard 4250 should do you, depending on how much editing you do, but it's good enough for playing HD videos.

Where are you buying this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Total is around 540 with shipping

Dont know much about PSUs but this one had good reviews i want something quiet with no leds:p

get a very medicore review here.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=158

The Seasonic S12 430W unit is only 6 quid more.

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30017&agid=1627

I take it the Amazon superflower range is a bit too blingy for your taste? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i dont know much about your Case.

Conventional wisdom would be less fans = less noise but I found the oppossite to be true when I built my Antec 900. After reading the reviews and building it it dawned on me of course that more fans = more at a lower RPMs; Lower RPMs = lower noise. The case itself is whisper quiet, with 3 120mm fans and 1 200mm fan, all of which can operate at the lowest setting and still push more air than most conventional cases with only 1 or 2 fans, which have to operate at higher speeds. Its drawback to you would be the LEDs. On the noise it's the quietest computer I've worked on in a long time.

If you cant afford a GPU properly right now do not bother. Instead, take the savings and put it back into the motherboard or CPU. The MB you picked out is fairly decent already with future-spec USB3 and SAA 6gbps but it might be worth having a look for the next step up, maybe something with the 890GX north bridge in it. Or you could max out the AM3 socket with a Phenom II X6 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Get rid of the NEC DVD drive - I just replaced mine with a samsung and the noise difference is incredible. The NEC was hideously noisy, both in terms of rattles, spin noise and drive mechanism.

The WD Blue with a 6Gb interface is the definition of pointless - it'll never saturate the interface and you're only using it for Windows. Get a 60gb Sandforce SSD for about €100. By FAR the best thing to buy. Ditch the shoddy extra graphics card.

Thanks for all the advice everyoneits very much appreciated :)

I managed to get my hands on a 5770 my uncle is switching his for a 6870 and said i could have his old one :cool: so thats the graphics card sorted

I,ll be getting the pc from Hardwareversand since they have a ton of recommendations here

Thanks for the advice about the PSU marco_polo looks like i wont be getting the Xigmatek but after looking up the Seasonic S12II 430W all the reviews i looked up say that the new bronze ver gets very noisy at higher loads . I might just get the Amazon superflower since everyone looks to be recommending it if i find the leds too annoying i can always switch it out later

Will also replace The NEC with the samsung thanks for the info wish i could afford a SSD or one of the X6 at the moment but i don't think they are in my budget at the moment but i will replace the WD with a spinpoint F3

If guys you have any more advice it wold be helpfull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Get rid of the NEC DVD drive - I just replaced mine with a samsung and the noise difference is incredible. The NEC was hideously noisy, both in terms of rattles, spin noise and drive mechanism.

I got a samsung drive recently and found it to be very noisy. The Liteon drive I had before that was practically silent in comparison.

Monotype wrote: »
    I got a samsung drive recently and found it to be very noisy. The Liteon drive I had before that was practically silent in comparison.

lol and i have a liteon which makes a very annoying noise sooo switch to an LG or ASUS ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have a Seagate drive in mine and its silent even on full tilt. I have another WD Caviar in there and you can hear every little head movement.

Still would double-think your PC case choice to something that at least advertises quiet. More ventilation and more fans equals fewer RPMs and less noise. You could also buy rubber accessories for your HDDs, too.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks ill have a look around at a few PC cases and see if i can find one that i like not much point in looking up things on HVS since some of there product descriptions are not really that great . I swear to god if i ever met the guy writing these things in person and asked him a question he would just stand there with a blank expression on his face shrug his shoulders and say it does stuff....... good stuff...... maybe ;)

But seriously thanks for all the help :D

Advertisement