Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship for child

Options
  • 06-03-2011 11:51am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm Irish. My wife is Czech. We have lived and worked in Australia since January 2010 (~14 months) and expecting our first child in early May. We are planning to be in Australia long term i.e. forever.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help with:
    1. Will the child be entitled to Australian citizenship? (from what I've read I don't think so)
    2. If not entitled to Australian citizenship is the child entitled to Irish or Czech citizenship?
    3. Does Ireland allow dual citizenship so that the child can have both an Irish and Czech passport?
    4. What about when the child eventually gets Australian citizenship? Is dual citizenship with Ireland and Australia possible?

Any constructive input appreciated. I'm off to search the answers to these, but would like to hear from parents who have been in a similar situation. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

BossArky wrote: »
    :
    1. Will the child be entitled to Australian citizenship? (from what I've read I don't think so)
    Are you in Oz on PR I cant recall .

Most children born in Australia before 20 August 1986 are Australian citizens by birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer of another country.
    Children born after that date are only Australian citizens if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/
    :
    [*]If not entitled to Australian citizenship is the child entitled to Irish or Czech citizenship?
    Yes parent/s are Irish
    :
    [*]Does Ireland allow dual citizenship so that the child can have both an Irish and Czech passport?
    Yes
    :
    [*]What about when the child eventually gets Australian citizenship? Is dual citizenship with Ireland and Australia possible?
    Yes
    http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/pascitzn.htm

Any constructive input appreciated. I'm off to search the answers to these, but would like to hear from parents who have been in a similar situation. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Congrats Again Boss

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Zambia - Thanks for the info and congrats :)

I forgot to mention that both my wife and I are in Australia on a 457 visa.

Your info ties in with my expectations. There is a slight chance that I could get PR sorted out with my job in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Congrats ? What did I do ?? :confused:

Advertisement