Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Crash @ Blakescross

Options
  • 06-03-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Anyone see or hear any news of this? The gf's little sister passed it and said she saw a car on its side. The Mother just told me she was stopped right beside it and could see a car and van on their side with the paramedics preparing to cut someone from a car.

I sincerely hope everyone is ok and recovering well.

Maybe now the fúckin RSA or whoever is in charge of it will put some bleedin traffic lights there..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Maybe now the fúckin RSA or whoever is in charge of it will put some bleedin traffic lights there..

Do you drive? The junction functions well enough once drivers actually know what they are doing,the yield lane towards Swords has claimed a few who automatically think its a stop lane so get rear ended. Traffic lights will only cause delays and build up traffic more dangerously back towards Swords.. Better to correctly train and enforce driving standards than molly coddle poor drivers with speed ramps and lights just for the sake of it.

Anyway stange that on the quietest day of the week there is a serious crash at the junction, hope everyone involved is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i also think lights would be a disaster at this junction, it could be a bit better marked on the road itself, especally as the ghost islands for the turn for the garage and the turn for blakes cross are so close to one another. ive had ppl come up the outside of me on the island for the garage thinking its the one for the right turn to lusk. imo there should not be a right turn into the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

traffic lights would be a night. and then would push people out the turn before the crossing. where no traffic lights.

that yield lane works great if

a) people use it properly.
    b) people dont try to get into the outside lane the second they pull onto the r132.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've got to say that for cyclists heading southbound on the R132 that is one of the worst junctions I have ever come across.

Having said that, we don't know the cause of this accident, so there's not much point in trying to come up with a "solution".

Let's hope everyone is OK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    I've got to say that for cyclists heading southbound on the R132 that is one of the worst junctions I have ever come across.

Having said that, we don't know the cause of this accident, so there's not much point in trying to come up with a "solution".

+ 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Really dont understand why north bound traffic isnt told to turn right at the turn before that junction where teagasc and then educate together used to be.

Traffic is much lighter once you pass Blakes Cross going north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

SeaSide wrote: »
    Really dont understand why north bound traffic isnt told to turn right at the turn before that junction where teagasc and then educate together used to be.

Traffic is much lighter once you pass Blakes Cross going north

Hanna's Avenue you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

So we've all decided to debate the pros and cons of traffic lights at this particular junction, yeah? Lets not do that.

Any news on the crash at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

So we've all decided to debate the pros and cons of traffic lights at this particular junction, yeah? Lets not do that.

Any news on the crash at all?

In fairness TZ you brought it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

True. It was a throwaway comment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

My wife was on the scene not too long after the accident and she's confused as to what actually happened given where the cars had ended up

+1 for voting no to traffic lights, would be a true disaster and back traffic up massively in the mornings for feck all gain to the junction as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The biggest problem with this junction is people dont know how to use it coming from Lusk and its also very badly marked in both directions.

Coming from Lusk why do people just think they need to be in outside lane? The outside lane is for overtaking? Both lanes heading South (towards Swords) go through to Dual carrage way then M1 so people should not go straight out to outside lane and then crawl along.

Possibly more signage would help and definatley better road markings

Hope everyone is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Maybe a silly question, a duel carrigway is when you can use both lanes, where a moter way the right hand lane is the over taking lane.I could be wrong, but thats what Im told.I dont go there ofton, but had to find my way in the dark as my daughter had a birthday party to attend.I really think , road markings could be better.I just crawled along till I figured out where I was.Its not so bad if your familure with the place.I hope they are ok, cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Always keep left, overtake on the right and move back into the left hand lane. Obviously if you're turning right you have to keep right.

A motorway is basically a dual carriageway designed to a higher standard, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Beasty wrote: »

Can you tell me as a cyclist what's the story with the junction? I'm getting a little nervous about the idea of approaching/passing this junction on the way into town. I've not seen it yet but a neighbour here in Balbriggan mentioned it when I told him I might cycle into town.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can you tell me as a cyclist what's the story with the junction? I'm getting a little nervous about the idea of approaching/passing this junction on the way into town. I've not seen it yet but a neighbour here in Balbriggan mentioned it when I told him I might cycle into town.
    The issue is clearly the fact that you proceed on the inside of the lane but past the junction you are joined by a new (non-filter) lane on the inside. Especially during the morning rush hour you face two particualr problems:
    1. You need to get across to the inside of the extra lane - however there tends to be a steady stream of traffic coming off the Lusk road - ideally someone should let you across, but it must get pretty hairy on occasions given the amount of traffic joining there and the speed they tend to be travelling at
    2. As already highlighted above, there is a tendency for some vehicles to move straight across to the outside lane. Now it's fairly easy for motorists to spot other motor vehicles already on the R132, but given everything they are looking out for at that junction, spotting a cyclist coming down that road is not so easy. Hence there is a risk that someone sweeps out into the lane the cyclist is already in. I guess the key is trying to anticipate driver behaviour

I don't want to overplay this, and am not aware of any accidents involving cyslists there, but in my opinion that is a dreadfully designed junction and a disaster waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

if it were me coming from that direction, as i get to the junction id stop at the concrete island and wait for a break in the traffic comming from lusk and then join the inside nearside lane and procede on from there.
    i would no like to be in a position where im in the nearside of the right lane with the traffic from lusk merging from my nearside.
    also like to point out ive not heard of or come across any incidents with cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

sorry just noticed this post now,
    I was three cars back the night the crash happened, just missed the actual crash but was out of the car helping the family in the Land Rover get out, had to climb out the boot as the jeep was on its side and the doors would not open. Everyone in that was fine and walked away with no injuries.
    Blue mazda was a husband, wife pregnant 7 months, and daugher
    Husband was fine but in shock, daughter had cuts to her face and the wife was cut out of the car as she was suffering from back pain.

Was talking to the husband the next day they were released from hospital everyone including unborn was fine.

Carlos
    Its a nasty corner the road could be widened and another roundabout could be put in as lights there would not be practical

Advertisement