Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staffordshire bull terrier pup wanted

• 06-03-2011 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I'm looking to buy puppy of Staffordshire bull terier.
    i was reading so many articles about people selling bull terier calling them SBT. I wan't to be sure that what i'm getting is really what i want.

Does anyone know some recommended breader who is IKC registered?

thank you for all ur help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rescue, rescue, rescue - PLEASE!.

Honestly the pounds & shelters are bursting at the seem's with fantastic Staffies looking for good homes.

Honestly my heart breaks when I look through the various sites looking to re-home Staffies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 0210ania

I understand your point and respect opnion. But I'm expecting this same back.
    i wan't puppy to train him from the beginning, not scraching back from not responsible previous owners.

and if thinkign about kids around dog - u can't take a risk, rescue a dog and after bring him back because of bad behaviour or he just won't accept kids around.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

The rescues sometimes have litters of pups available too ;)

I think there were a few staffie pups in the DSPCA recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

0210ania wrote: »
    i wan't puppy to train him from the beginning, not scraching back from not responsible previous owners.

and if thinkign about kids around dog - u can't take a risk, rescue a dog and after bring him back because of bad behaviour or he just won't accept kids around.

Unfortunately most dogs in rescues are there through no fault of their own. Not because they show bad behaviour or because they wont accept kids. The horrible fact is, not only "bad" dogs end up in the pound. This is a very common misconception and one which causes many dogs to be destroyed.

If you think of the sweetest, or most intelligent, or cutest or most loving dog, I promise you there is one in rescue just as sweet, intelligent, cute and loving, who fell victim to an irresponsible owner, and ill owner or just bad circumstances.

Granted, depending on their background, some take a time and patience to come around, which you obviously don't want to take on with kids in the house etc, but the good (sad?) news is, you would be very likely to find a young litter, or even a bitch in pup in rescue, if you would like to go down that route. Or a dog in foster, who would have lived with a family for a while, may be an option you'd like to consider.

Further to this, just because a breeder sells registered pups does not mean he or she is a good breeder. Take the little fella I have in foster for example. Registered parents, registered siblings - this poor dote dumped due to a perfectly treatable skin condition (one staffies are prone to).

It's great you are researching your breeders instead of going to donedeal or something, and good luck whatever you decide to do. You've picked a fantastic breed. The only staffie breeder I personally know has a long waiting list for his pups, but if you want his details, let me know and I'll PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

0210ania wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy puppy of Staffordshire bull terier.
    i was reading so many articles about people selling bull terier calling them SBT. I wan't to be sure that what i'm getting is really what i want.

Does anyone know some recommended breader who is IKC registered?

thank you for all ur help :)

People refer to them as SBT because its the initials of the breed Staffordshire Bull Terrier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I'm sorry but I think you are nuts to pay hundreds of euro for a pup when there are loads of lovely staffies in rescue :confused: There a few fab ones in the DSPCA at the moment - absolutely nothing wrong with them, a lot have been surrendered through no fault of their own, owners are emigrating etc.

You have to watch any dog with kids and staffies are very family orientated as a breed anyway and just because they come from a rescue situation does not mean they will be dangerous around children :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I totally agree with the other posters here ,,get your self to a rescue centre,,there they will be able to match the right dog to you ie. ones that are good with small kids or with cats or other dogs as they will have assesed them first.Please dont waste your money on a breeder when there are so many beautiful puppies and dogs just sitting waiting for you to call..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

http://inistiogepuppyrescue.com/current_dogs.php Theres two adorable staffie pups on here, Emmet and Scrappy :):):):D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

To be fair to the OP, spending money with an ethical breeder is not a waste of money.

If the OP does the proper research and goes on a waiitng list to purchase an ethically bred puppy raised at home and under foot and sired by vet-checked, healthy parents, then the OP sustains the economic need for such puppies and that's part of what will encourage an ethical breeder to continue breeding. It may also inspire someone else to get into ethical breeding.

When you buy a pup from an ethical breeder you're paying for lots of things. The pup. The pup's bloodline. The fact that someone who knew what they were doing was with the bitch as she whelped (ethical breeder, remember? It's all about best practice). You're paying towards the vet testing. You're paying towards someone else's passion and enabling them to continue that passion to the benefit of the breed, which is what ethical breeding is all about. You're paying for the assurance that the number of siblings and half siblings your pup has won't ever reach triple figures, because the bitch will have two to three litters at most and then be spayed and retired into a loving home, instead of one litter every season until she dies.

If the OP is considering buying a SBT from a dondeal.ie advertisement, then absolutely head to a rescue instead because with a decent rescue you have the opportunity to do a personality assessment on a pup yourself before you leave with them. if they want a pup from an ethical breeder, they need to start with the IKC and hit the phones from there, and be prepared to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

OP, I've PMed you a good Staffie breeder. This is a good breeder with excellent examples of the breed thusly his dogs aren't cheap and he is strict about who he sells to plus he doesn't breed too often and when he does the pups are usually booked but it would be no harm dropping him a mail if you are serious about getting a Staff.
    Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement