Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newborn kitten emergency please help quickly

• 06-03-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

My cat literally just had five kittens the fourth one to be born isn't doing well at all is very limp not moving much and sounds like its drowning the cat just isn't interested it it at all. I feel like crying im panicing big time all of the others are fine. i cant decide if i should take the sick one away and try to keep her warm and dry the fluid off her. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

sounds like this is natures way of saying there is something wrong with the little kittty. apparently mammy can sence this. i would take her away for awhile, maybe dryier her up abit and try to see if u can make the kitty suckle on mammy. Have u any replacement milk that u can give kitty? though its very important if u can try and get her some of mammys milk.
    id say chances are poor baby wont survive but there is no harm trying. Good luck.

Is mammy showing any interest at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

No she isn't interested at all the poor thing is exhausted and my three year old wont leave her alone I have had t lock him out of the room ill go in an check her and if she hasn't cleaned the sick one il take it away and try my best to clean and feed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hold the kittens head and body firmly and throw down (but don't let go) to try and clear mucas in kittens throat and lungs.

I've saved several newborn puppies this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Most vets have emergency numbers that you can ring on sundays. The least they can do is advice over the phone.

Hi all

All seems to be well after clearing the mucus by rubbing the throat and turning her upside down i dried her with a warm towel stuck her in beside mammy and all of the others mammy nuzzled her and the kitten let out a squeak so i let them get acquainted then i helped kitten find a nipple and latch on, ive been checking them every few minutes and it looks like all systems are go and feeding is taking place.

Thanks for your help everyone i really appreciate it i was so stressed out i couldn't think straight!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Hi Ladypip,

I was following your story and am wondering how your little kitties are getting on?

Hi Amberjack

The kitten is doing great she is eating and if i didnt know the markings on her face i wouldn't be able to tell her apart from the other four. She is the only one that doesn't squeak when i pick her up so my boyfriend reckons she thinks im her mammy. We were going to keep one of the litter anyway so our choice has been made for us i guess we are keeping her.

Thanks to everyone here for the advice in a crisis it was really appreciated im sure the kitten would thank you if she could:D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Thats great. Pics please:D

Advertisement