Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardware synths

Options
  • 06-03-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

going to be buying myself some hardware over the next few months, bought a drum machine last week and im looking at synths at the moment,, id be looking for something for 450 euros or under, the microkorg seems to stand out at this price range from what ive read on the net, anyone have any recommendations/reviews/experience on hardware synths? nice one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

brianc27 wrote: »
    going to be buying myself some hardware over the next few months, bought a drum machine last week and im looking at synths at the moment,, id be looking for something for 450 euros or under, the microkorg seems to stand out at this price range from what ive read on the net, anyone have any recommendations/reviews/experience on hardware synths? nice one
    Jp8000
    Had the micrkorg and it,JP8000 is far better,plus its great for using as a midi keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Do you absolutely have to buy new?
    If so, look into the Akai Miniak or Alesis Micron instead,
    they offer far, far more in comparison to the MicroKorg.

The Miniak and Micron are pretty much identical, but the Miniak is built better and is actually cheaper than the Micron.

I recently bought an Alesis Ion which is practically the same also but has far more controls, and i have fallen head over heels in love with it.

It has the most sonic capabilities of any VA i've seen, Arturia's Origin, and the Nord Modulars are the only ones i can think off that are more versatile.
    You can get some cracking full sized keyboard synths for under 450, especially if you're willing to buy second hand.

Try and get to hear lots of demos of each, and let your ears decide which sounds better.

Also try and figure out if you want a synth that has lots of features,

or a simpler synth that has less features but is easier to program, and more instant to use.

The JP8000 would be an example of the latter, i dont personally like its sound, but its meant to give very instant results due to its simplicity. The Nord Leads would be another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

cheers for the reply, i went with the microkorg in the end last week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

brianc27 wrote: »
    cheers for the reply, i went with the microkorg in the end last week

Didnt spot the time of your post, hope you have lots of fun with it.

Advertisement