Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wolves central defender Richard Stearman declaring for Ireland

• 06-03-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

.....according to Kevin Doyle. A bit out of the blue, that. Never seen him mentioned in lists of eligible players before. A pleasant surprise, nonetheless. He also mentioned that O'Hara still hasn't decided.

Hopefully that's the final nail in McShane's international career.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

he will be a decent addition to the squad but i don't think he is a huge step up from what we already have in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Better than St Ledger IMO. Welcome aboard Richard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

yabadabado wrote: »
    he will be a decent addition to the squad but i don't think he is a huge step up from what we already have in defence.

He's playing regular Premier League football and is still only 23, in fairness. Stearman and Clark could be our central defence for years to come.

Anyone know how St Ledger is performing at Preston? The fact that he is 26 and playing in the worst defence in the Championship at, for a team more nailed on than Christ for relegation looks worrying on paper.

A welcome addition. Now i hope James Mccarthy and Jamie o'Hara will follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He's a good player and has done very well for Wolves, definitely a welcome addition!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

can operate at right full and central mid if things ever get that bad.

I'd have him as a nailed on starter beside Dunne with O'Shea at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

O'Hara, I heard, will not be declaring until the start of next season, that's if he declares at all. He's really dragging the arse out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Play O'Shea LB with Stearman and Dunne in the centre and Coleman RB, wouldn't be a bad defence then.

Actually if you started McCarthy and Fahey in CM we'd have a decent team going forward.

Given

Coleman--Dunne--Stearman--O'Shea

McGeady--McCarthy--Fahey--Duff

Keane
    Doyle

I'd <3 that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

O'Hara, I heard, will not be declaring until the start of next season, that's if he declares at all. He's really dragging the arse out of it.

Dont want him. end of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

In fairness nothing wrong with him weighing up his opportunities.

cson wrote: »

Given

Keane
    Doyle

I'd <3 that.

What about Ciaran Clark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What about Ciaran Clark?

You can only put 11 on the pitch, that is by far our best 11

OPENROAD wrote: »
    In fairness nothing wrong with him weighing up his opportunities.

True, but he has been weighing up his options for the last 2 years now. He surely knows what he wants at this stage.

PS. I do want him to play for us.

True, but he has been weighing up his options for the last 2 years now. He surely knows what he wants at this stage.

PS. I do want him to play for us.

Didn't know it was that long, still he is English so probably would like to play for them and now that he is getting a good run an opportunity may arise over the coming months, if not he might go down the Ireland route.

to be honest he is probably still annoyed about being called up, getting on a plane to dublin only to be told to go home because he wasn't actually eligible back when he just broke into the spurs team.

Or has everyone forgotten that monumental cockup by the FAI-lures already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Seaneh wrote: »
    to be honest he is probably still annoyed about being called up, getting on a plane to dublin only to be told to go home because he wasn't actually eligible back when he just broke into the spurs team.

Or has everyone forgotten that monumental cockup by the FAI-lures already?

so what has changed that makes him eligible now?

FIFA changed the rules in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

dont understand this at all.. O'hara.. he is either irish or hes not. I hate all this he might declare for us. such bull****e.. he can go and jump in a lake... we dont want him. we want fully committed irish players in an irish jersey. same with macarthy ... tremendous player.. but this " trap pissed me off.. wont pick me.. im off back to scotland.. im scottish again" ... makes me sick

before ye start ..ya i know mick is from barnsley and houghton is scottish.. but they did declare for us from the start and wore the jersey with pride..

cremeegg wrote: »
    dont understand this at all.. O'hara.. he is either irish or hes not. I hate all this he might declare for us. such bull****e.. he can go and jump in a lake... we dont want him. we want fully committed irish players in an irish jersey. same with macarthy ... tremendous player.. but this " trap pissed me off.. wont pick me.. im off back to scotland.. im scottish again" ... makes me sick

before ye start ..ya i know mick is from barnsley and houghton is scottish.. but they did declare for us from the start and wore the jersey with pride..

What if Scotland had capped Houghton first? as far as I know, Big Jack just happened to get in pretty quickly, what if O'hara declares for Ireland and gives 100%? imo if you can play for a country on the back of a grandparent, having only been to that country a few times and not living in that country you should just be able to play for whatever country you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

thats the stuff Richard, and your goal should have been allowed today, that baxtard ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Im sure Mick McCarthy had a hand in his decision too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paully D wrote: »
    Better than St Ledger IMO. Welcome aboard Richard!

St Ledger has been superb for Ireland though. I wouldn't break up the St Ledger/Dunne partnership!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

How does Stearman qualify for Ireland I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

http://greenscene.me/2011/02/jamie-ohara-interested-in-ireland-call/

According to this O'Hara is interested in playing for Ireland and I think he would give his best so I'd take him because we are not blessed with quality central midfielders.

Also think Richard Stearman would be an excellent addition to the lineup.

In response to a previous poster's defence line up I think Coleman is better in right midfield so I would switch O'Shea to RB and Clark at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

monkey9 wrote: »
    St Ledger has been superb for Ireland though. I wouldn't break up the St Ledger/Dunne partnership!

Stearman has more quality as a footballer but as you say St. Ledger has been ok there with Dunne. I think it is good to give ourselves options though and eliminate any need for McShane to be required again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Pretty soon I'll be supporting the same team just with different managers.

flahavaj wrote: »
    How does Stearman qualify for Ireland I wonder?

Grandmother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Interesting that our ex International manager seems to be doing more to recruit and develop players for the national team than the current one.:pac:

If this keeps us we can give the job back to Mick and save a few bob on wages.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

What about Ciaran Clark?
    cson wrote: »
    Play O'Shea LB with Stearman and Dunne in the centre and Coleman RB, wouldn't be a bad defence then.

Actually if you started McCarthy and Fahey in CM we'd have a decent team going forward.

Given

Keane
    Doyle

I'd <3 that.

Hmmmm, don't like that team at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

flahavaj wrote: »
    Interesting that our ex International manager seems to be doing more to recruit and develop players for the national team than the current one.:pac:

If this keeps us we can give the job back to Mick and save a few bob on wages.:pac:

I'd take McCarthy back in a heartbeat tbh.

The best manager we've had in modern times AINEC. If it wasn't for the bust up with Roy Keane - regardless of the right and wrong of it - he'd be remembered in a vastly more favourable light for his Ireland time.

He's only improved his reputation since leaving as well, the more I think about it the more I'd love him back in charge of Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agreed Keane, i'd take him back aswell but i think it may be a long time before big mick comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Stearman seems capable enough and hopefully he will come on board.With Ciaran Clark joining up with us due to the chats with R Dunne got me thinking about our scouting network over in the UK.

Do we have a lot of scouts or how does it work with finding guys??? Just through current Internationals chatting to team mates etc....Anybody have any links or articles on FAI scouts in Uk??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Honestly don't know much about him , is he any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

keane2097 wrote: »
    Seriously doubt he'd ever come back after the way he was kind of hounded out of the job back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

keane2097 wrote: »

The best manager we've had in modern times AINEC. If it wasn't for the bust up with Roy Keane - regardless of the right and wrong of it - he'd be remembered in a vastly more favourable light for his Ireland time.

He's only improved his reputation since leaving as well, the more I think about it the more I'd love him back in charge of Ireland.

McCarthy will be the next Irish manager.... someone I know who's close to the Irish set up told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

flanzer wrote: »
    McCarthy will be the next Irish manager.... someone I know who's close to the Irish set up told me

Did they tell Mick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Dont know if Coleman is a good enough rb to play at international level i have only really seen him play rw. Clark seems versatile and can play lb. If Stearman qualifies he would be a great addition.

GK: Given/Westwood

RB:O Shea, Stearman, Coleman, McShane, Kelly

CB: O Shea, Dunne, ST Ledger, Clark, Stearman, Duffy, McShane

LB: O Shea, Clark, Cunningham

Wingers: Duff, Mcgeady, Walters, Lawerence, Coleman, McGeady possibly Pennant

CM: Gibson, Whelan, Andrews, Green, McCarthy?, O Hara? Clark

Strikers: Keane, Long, Best, Doyle, Hunt, Stokes

Im probably after forgetting a few players.

Given

O Shea Dunne Stearman Clark

Coleman McCarthy Andrews Duff

Keane Doyle

I dont think Trap will start with Coleman ahead of McGeady through. If we are going to play Coleman or McGeady rw then would like to see O Shea behind either of them to allow them to be adventorous. Clark surely has to be lb with Kilbane seemingly phased out. If Stearman doesnt declare ST Ledger should get the nod.

McCarthy is a box to box type player and Andrews defensive work would let him operate and open teams up, god knows we need a midfielder that can create chances. Duff is coming back into some form and Coleman really deserves a chance.

Long is in great form at the moment and their could be a case made for him to start ahead of Keane. But i still think if Keane gets his confidence back up he would be a very important player.

Over all the squad looks to have good depth with a few promising youngsters coming through. Oh and would love Mccarthy back as manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Im probably after forgetting a few players.

Given

O Shea Dunne Stearman Clark

Coleman McCarthy Andrews Duff

Keane Doyle
    David Meyler probably the biggest omission. He'd walk into our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Nuts102 I'd put Meyler in your starting line up when he is properly fit, otherwise it's pretty decent.

Was thinking the other day about how injuries have screwed up the Irish midfield. Colin Healy, Joey O'Brien, Steven Reid etc. It just seems to keep happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes i agree another great talent, but thought he's out injured for awhile, really really hope he comes back the player he was. Could be the making of a very exciting midfield for the future. Coleman Meyler Mccarthy 22 or under and Premiership regulars well until Meylers injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

AgileMyth wrote: »
    David Meyler probably the biggest omission. He'd walk into our team.

Kevin Foley deserves a mention aswell

My Ireland XI

Shay Given

John O'Shea
    Richard Dunne
    Ciaran Clark
    Greg Cunningham

Seamus Coleman
    David Meyler
    James McCarthy
    Damien Duff/Aiden McGeady

Kevin Doyle
    Robbie Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I wonder...

Given
    Josh--Dunne--Stearman
    Seamie
    Clarke
    Gibson
    Meyler
    McCarthy
    ----Keane/Long----Doyle

532 Formation with Wingbacks. Swap Gibson for Clifford in a year or two if he keeps progressing.
    Bit harsh on Duff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Another 2 English-born players have declared for Ireland after been selected in the Ireland U-21 squad

Adam Barton (Presten NE) - has an NI friendly cap already but seems to have switch allegience
    Michael Quirke (Coventry)

Advertisement