Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a baby get too attached?

Options
  • 06-03-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Aisling is 11 weeks old and totally and completely attached to yours truly

In a room full of people including her dad & big sister her eyes will follow me everywhere ignoring all others!

If she cries and daddy can't settle her he hands her to me and 90% of the time she stops crying instantly!
    She won't sleep unless I put her down
    She won't take a feed from anyone else if she hears my voice in a room she wants me and me alone!

Am i over-reacting?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

No you arent over reacting but its certainly a habit you really need to break. Theres nothing as bad as feeling you cant leave your child because they are too attached to you and wont stay with anyone else.

You will just have to keep giving her to other people to hold and try get her used to other people. I know its hard watching them cry but you really don;t want her so dependent on you.

Maybe start taking short breaks away from her on a daily basis. Leave her with your husband for a few minutes and first and gradually start increasing the time you are away from her. Hopefully she will start getting used to being cared for by other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

She's 11 weeks old. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. Sorry lolli - but I don't agree that it's certainly a habit you need to break. If we were talking about a toddler now I might be more inclined to agree with you, but at 11 weeks, she's just a little beyond newborn. She'll change so much in the next few months that you might actually end up looking back nostalgically at this stage.;)
    Certainly I would encourage her daddy to try more regularly to settle her so that she gets just as used to him, but it's not like it's something that has to be fixed overnight. You can take a gradual approach to it, building her up to getting used to new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I should clarify that by day when daddy is off work she is fine with him on his own its only when she realises i'm around (sees me or hears my voice) she goes mental to get my attention!
    She will take a bottle from him and snooze afterwards but as soon as she hears me in the room she wakes up wailing!

I bring her up to my mother's nearly every day and again she's generally ok when i'm out of the room but if i'm within 20 feet and she knows i'm around she wants me INSTANTLY

Advertisement