Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why you driving up my a**?

• 06-03-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm a learner rider, still fairly inexperienced and perhaps not as confident on the bike as I would like to be.

I took the bike out ride this morning, roads quiet and was making good progress. However, for a section of 10 miles on a main country road, a driver in a people carrier, drove so close behind me, I was seriously getting concerned, that should I have to stop suddenly, the driver would be right over the top of me.

I was keeping a good distance behind the car infront of me, so if the car behind me had the opportunity to pass, they're was plenty of room for them to do so. But they kept tight up my exhaust.

So what I'm asking here, is whats the best advice or procedure to let tail-gaters know to back off when riding a motorbike?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

you'll learn to ignore them after a while, i've 20+ years of biking and did once get upset about it but eventually learn to ignore them and give them plenty of brake to let them know youre annoyed with them, an appropriate hand signal is also advised, dont forget, youre wearing a helmet and gloves:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Honestly, you'll have the same tail-gaters whether your on a bike or in a car. Worst thing about a bike is that you're more exposed to a risk.

Ideally, the driver behind should leave sufficient room, but when this doesn't happen you're supposed to leave extra breaking distance between you and the vehicle in front. Thus, if you have to stop you can do so and control the traffic behind you.

TBH if you really feel uncomfortable with it and not confident with it, pull-over safely and let the offender off. Some people take exception to this protocol, but generally you'll have to take the defensive action when on a bike. Don't let this get to you though or shake your confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Show your brake light, back brake pedal only needs a slight bit of pressure to show brake light without braking. if the vehicle behind insists on tailgating, put your indicator on and pull in an a safe place to allow them to pass you.
    (I am assuming you are riding a slowish lower cc bike)

There are other ways, but they would be considered illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

These people are the most dangerous people on the roads yet when was the last time someone was actually done for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If you have the power at your disposal wind her on and put some space between you and the idiot.

If not hop off at the next junction and have a few choice words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Show your brake light, back brake pedal only needs a slight bit of pressure to show brake light without braking. if the vehicle behind insists on tailgating, put your indicator on and pull in an a safe place to allow them to pass you.
    (I am assuming you are riding a slowish lower cc bike)

There are other ways, but they would be considered illegal.

As LookBehindYou says touch your back brake and then role on the throttle at the same time, wrecks their heads don't know what your doing and tend to fall back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

KamiKazi wrote: »
    If you have the power at your disposal wind her on and put some space between you and the idiot.

If not hop off at the next junction and have a few choice words.
    break check them and hope for the best lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 POCKET.ROCKET.

Cheers for the replies.

Riding a 125cc so pulling away off on the horizon ain't an option. Think i'll just pull over when the option allows, and let the tailgater pass on through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cheers for the replies.

Riding a 125cc so pulling away off on the horizon ain't an option. Think i'll just pull over when the option allows, and let the tailgater pass on through.
    your better off. Happy riding hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

You pay road tax F*** them. You have every right to drive a bit slower when the conditions are bad, ignore them, this will come with time. you can't win, in the summer your the mad man passing in the corners, in the frost and snow your holding things up. never be bullied, when a car looses it they skid, when it's a bike you hit the deck and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just pull over asap and wait for 30seconds before continuing your ride without being interfered with. No point in risking your skin by trying to gun it but also if the car is behind you for ten minutes then you should get out of it's way as you're obviously holding it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I always felt it was an education thing rather than any kind of maliciousness.

Car drivers often drive too close to the car in front (2 second rule etc). Probably most of the time it's because they're following the rear bumper of the car in front and are only dropping back if they feel they need to see past the car in front so as to be able to anticipate hazards better.

When you put the same mentality behind a biker, they never get as far as the "ooh, I'd better drop back to increase the amount I can see", because they can happily see past the bike.

It's an error of judgement imho that can only be corrected by education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Ahhh..the People carrier driver...A strange breed..If its a man he'll be a browbeaten shadow of his former self, beaten into submission by his trouser wearing wife.." (i want) we need a mpv because i said so.."she insists...he gives in eventually , even though he'd rather have a single-seater M5, no wife and no brats to bring to soccer/rugby practice ...
    He drives in a daze, not noticing that his world is slowly creeping by him ,listening to Lyric FM and remembering the good old days when he was free of the shackles of the 3 M's (marriage, mortgage and mmm..kids).
    He's also rembering how his mammy would'nt let him have a motorbike "they're too dangerous"...and now hates them because of this...the freedom he never had...and never will..now....:(

If its a woman driver ,she's just a c**t....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

@Sids Not - very perceptive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Sids Not wrote: »
    Ahhh..the People carrier driver...A strange breed..If its a man he'll be a browbeaten shadow of his former self, beaten into submission by his trouser wearing wife.." (i want) we need a mpv because i said so.."she insists...he gives in eventually , even though he'd rather have a single-seater M5, no wife and no brats to bring to soccer/rugby practice ...
    He drives in a daze, not noticing that his world is slowly creeping by him ,listening to Lyric FM and remembering the good old days when he was free of the shackles of the 3 M's (marriage, mortgage and mmm..kids).
    He's also rembering how his mammy would'nt let him have a motorbike "they're too dangerous"...and now hates them because of this...the freedom he never had...and never will..now....:(

Ecxellent post.:D

Had it happen to me yonks ago on 250cc honda rebel with GF on back. Another bike twelve inches from my back wheel for about two miles @ 60mph. Thought it was a mate messing but couldn't go any faster as they seemed to want.
    Turns out it was a Garda Bike.........
    Wanted to shoot the f****r for endangering our lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tailgaters are bad news, I lead them through the biggest potholes I can find.
    Got rid of two this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ryan_G

Sids Not wrote: »

GO ON BOYYYYYY!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Ultimately the more experience you gain the less you will be bothered by idiots who tailgate. You will still be aware of them but not unduly distracted which is what will catch you out.

If you have a tailgater and you are spending more time thinking about what's behind you than concentrating on what's in front then pull over take a deep breath and let the muppet past.

I know you didn't mention this in your post and not presuming you are doing this but I see a lot of learners riding in or close to the the gutter like they are on a bicycle this can lead car drivers, etc. to get too close and try to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If you would get insured on something bigger than the 125 I'd look into upgrading as soon as you can, having started on a 125 I can tell you it doesn't get much better until you upgrade. Not only does the extra power give you the option to twist it off and get some breathing room when you need it, they also seem to generally give bigger bikes more room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

As a learner driver, there's nothing more intimidating! Like SeanyBiker said...brake-check him.

Personally, I slow RIGHT down, almost stopped and see if he goes round. If not, then stop and go back and have a "word"....works like a charm for me. I get apologies and they back right off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Do what I do (when I have time).

Gradually slow down...right down to about 10 mph. They either get the message or overtake you.

Otherwise, wait until you get to traffic lights (ok, not many on country roads), stop, get off the bike and nicely ask them to keep their distance. If they refuse....stay at the lights until they agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Antiquo wrote: »
    Ultimately the more experience you gain the less you will be bothered by idiots who tailgate. You will still be aware of them but not unduly distracted which is what will catch you out.

If you have a tailgater and you are spending more time thinking about what's behind you than concentrating on what's in front then pull over take a deep breath and let the muppet past.

I know you didn't mention this in your post and not presuming you are doing this but I see a lot of learners riding in or close to the the gutter like they are on a bicycle this can lead car drivers, etc. to get too close and try to pass.

I'll second this. I go through a particular stretch to and from work and there's a wide, slow turn and I've had people (mostly women drivers), try to overtake in the same lane. First time freaked me out enough because her side mirror moved my head. I almost pissed myself.

Advertisement