Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Decking

• 06-03-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi, just need some advice/help thanks.

We have quite a large area of decking in our garden. Problem is cleaning it. Year in, year out, i scrub with those specially designed decking cleaners to try to remove all of the green staining that is left from months of rain, moss and leaves that fall from our shoots. We don't get a huge amount of sun on the decking, so I presume that is why it gets so bad, it never fully dries out. In the end I find washing up liquid tends to be better at doing the job, but it never really fully works. Every year i end up sanding it and varnishing it. One year we power hosed it, but it ended up damaging the wood.

Just wondering if anyone has advice as to how to clean the decking so I could avoid having to do these huge jobs every year. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The commercial stuff in woodies works great. Which reminds me, I need to do mine. Damn you OP !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

iMax wrote: »
    The commercial stuff in woodies works great. Which reminds me, I need to do mine. Damn you OP !!
    I know i kind of hate being myself this time of year too!
    Thanks for that suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

Commercial cleaner is great ok but make sure you also use a good powerwasher, brings it up like new!, paint job and it looks great again!, bring on the BBQ's:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kitchens decks

i always say to ppl buy washing up liquid 17 euro for deck reviver and same result,,, i wouldnt often recommend this in case ppl go to town with the stuff but >>bleech<< try a drop in a bucket of warm water and dip deck brush in and scrub scrub scrub ,icon4.gif dont put bleech directly on to deck always mix wit water and keep hose handy rinse well as you go u will see the green in the water u wash away do section at a time otherwise bleech will stain if not rinsed off well , i use power washer but dont aim it down coz u will jus leave horrible lines aim more across at an angle decks look ready for a skip this time of year but good wash in april decking oil in may and its like new
    hope this helps

Advertisement