Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallon's Minecraft Server BIG CHANGES? Please read

• 06-03-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

First off, I wanna thank every single one of you guys who are on the server, who have built on the server or have just come on to see the place. If it wasn't for you guys, the server wouldn't be as big as it was now :)

Ok, first things first, the server has way outgrown me ability to run it at home, so DeV kindly gave me a loan of one of his personal server to run it from (A massive thank you to him for this) and it has been ideal, the thing is, I don't want to keep using his server for free and want to start paying for it from my own pocket.

What I would like to do is to start getting my own hosting and keep the server running 24/7 like it has been

Nothing will change, the world will be the same, the users will be the same, the threads in this forum will all be the same.

The only thing that will change is the IP

Now, I really want the opnion of all you guys that use the server....

Two questions:

1) Are you's ok with the change of IP address
    2) Are you ok with the name to stay with 'Tallon's Minecraft Server'

Just to clarify, the idea is that the server won't be hosted by DeV and won't be subject to boards.ie rules but will have it's own rules in place to protect users

The server was never 'owned' by boards, it was just kindly hosted by DeV's personal server

I also want to say a massive thanks to Cherryghost, if it wasn't for him the server would probably be on fire, and we wouldn't have all teh cool mods we do now :)

Anyway guys, thanks for reading and please let me know your honest opinion below

Tallon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I don't see why the name should change, especially if you are to continue paying for it.

Change of IP is fine though it will result in having to go through an arduos copy/paste routine :p

If you are moving towards a dedicated server perhaps a method of donation could be used so we could all chip in now and then to keep it fueled (though I realise this could come with it's own complications).

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

i am fine with the change of ip.Its your server and its your choice but most people will be fine with it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Right, well given the facts that I have from all this, of course I have no problem with migrating the server to a dedicated VPS financed by yourself. However, the boards.ie server box is still open for discussion, as DeV has kindly allowed me to continue running a server there.

So, what are people's opinion on the boards.ie server? Same world? PvP? RPG mods? Feedback for both servers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Name should stay the same, theres no hassle changing the ip for the sake of moving forward. Why not? Fair juice to ya. Why dont you make a donation fund for the server. I'd throw ya some.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

im fine with both of those things.
    one thing though, i used the ip u have in ur main server thread and it says its incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

the IP for this server is in the social group. you also have to be whitelisted to be able to access the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

I'm fine with bought, the server name should stay same, and I don't mind if the IP address changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Just to clarify, the idea is that the server won't be hosted by DeV and won't be subject to boards.ie rules but will have it's own rules in place to protect users

I've updated the OP to reflect this

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

the IP for this server is in the social group. you also have to be whitelisted to be able to access the server.
    I am whitelisted. I was on an hour ago. I just went to another server for a second then came back and it said IP was incorect

I'm new to the server, but without boards.ie I wouldn't have found it probably. I like the fact it's brought the communities together. Whatever happens I'll of course roll with it, because I don't have any sway in the matter since I'm so minor. But is there a specific benefit to this change? Most of the contributers and mods are from boards aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm cool with this, both ip and name wise.

Everyones opinion matters... Doesnt matter how long your on the server

Mods and users of boards will still use the server, as I said, it was never a boards.ie server, it's always been my server.

All boardsies are still welcome, and anyone registered before Feb 2011 will automatically get access just by asking :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What about having a DNS name? I assume Minecraft can do DNS lookups (I can't check right now)? minecraft.tallon.com or similar is a bit easier to remember :)

feylya wrote: »
    What about having a DNS name? I assume Minecraft can do DNS lookups (I can't check right now)? minecraft.tallon.com or similar is a bit easier to remember :)
    Yeah, I will have a DNS when the server moves. Thats a differnent issue though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Cool, just making sure it was out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Set up a Paypal account so we can donate to help with the cost of this please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FunkyTowner

I haven't been on the server for long, but the short time I have been I've had loads of fun. I care not for the name or the IP of the server, as long as the liberty and quality stays the same with this move.

And if there's a need for donations, I'm up for helping as many others probably are.

-DEUUEAUGH

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tallon, I think you are being disingenuous about the reasons for your move. You were asked to name the server something that was less "your property" and more communal ownership as befits something built by everyone.

I have no problem with you running your own server, we'll even list it here on our Minecraft forum list along with anyone elses but no one owns this community and I'm sorry to see you take this route.

As I have said to you in PM. If you love something set it free. Its your call man, there is no doubting your role in the creation of this server but you were far from the only ingredient in the recipe. I think you are badly wrong here.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Kersmash wrote: »
    Set up a Paypal account so we can donate to help with the cost of this please.

+1 on that. No opinion really on the other stuff.

Don't think it would really impose/infringe on gameplay that much/at all or am I missing something?

Change of IP is fine though it will result in having to go through an arduos copy/paste routine :p
    Yi Harr wrote: »
    Don't think it would really impose/infringe on gameplay that much/at all or am I missing something?

what Antar said will be about the only thing that is going to change for players.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Tallon, I think you are being disingenuous about the reasons for your move. You were asked to name the server something that was less "your property" and more communal ownership as befits something built by everyone.

I have no problem with you running your own server, we'll even list it here on our Minecraft forum list along with anyone elses but no one owns this community and I'm sorry to see you take this route.

As I have said to you in PM. If you love something set it free. Its your call man, there is no doubting your role in the creation of this server but you were far from the only ingredient in the recipe. I think you are badly wrong here.

DeV.

I don't want to take the community...

Where are poeple getting this idea from?

All I want, is the same server, the same users, the same fun but of my own financial support. I don't want to depend on someone else to host it for me. Simple.

I started the server on my own, needed a hand with the load, which you very kindly helped out with, and now I would like to continue on the way up to making the server larger capacity by financing it myself.

Why are you so reluctant to letting me moving my world to a different host? It will not affect boards in any way

None of the threads or interaction here on boards will change, nothing

The only thing that will be different is the IP address and Admins will vote as a council on all things related to the server like bannings, access, rights and what is and is not allowed be built (Instead of Mods demanding things be removed without consulting either of the 3 owners and being abusive about it at the same time)

Also, the sillyness of changing the thread title before checking with the onwers and then not even meeting me halfway when I suggested it be called Tallon's Minecraft Server (Hosted by DeV) Which is 100% Technically correct.

It is not a boards.ie server, you said that yourself, it is your own personal server to which you did me a massive favour, and I have said several times that I truely truely am grateful.

Thanks

Tal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

However, the boards.ie server box is still open for discussion, as DeV has kindly allowed me to continue running a server there.

Cool

So, what are people's opinion on the boards.ie server? Same world? PvP? RPG mods? Feedback for both servers please.

Mobs on would make it intresting.

I really think there is a possible compromise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sacramento wrote: »
    I really think there is a possible compromise.

Well don't keep it to yourself and share your thoughts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, I'll stay away from thus. As fir simple 2 things tal is asking, it's good with me, name and io can be whatever it needs. As long as it's not : "teletubes with friends".

As long as I understand the situation, we got a free space for server, boards.ie server. I presume cherry will be looking after it, and I really have no doubt it will be in good hands. As for suggestion.... Pure survival server? With everyone respecting athers property? Or that infamous pvp server idea we had.

I don't know what is the exact situation with all this migration, but if tal wants to do it, then I don't see why. Tal and boards.ie have to sort it out themselfs.

This all thing might be way more less complicated them it looks lads ;)

Well don't keep it to yourself and share your thoughts :pac:

Lol :)

I'm not trying to overstep my boundaries here. I'm just a fan of the server as it is, reliability wise and such.

I see both sides arguments and to be honest, I see points in both.

As far as I know (I could be wrong) but Tallon started the server, with MichaelPower.

It's hosted on Dev's personal server.

The name of the server is Boards.ie minecraft server (with your host, Tallon).
    I think the name is incorrect, and while people might say, "it's just a name", changing the name to help the situation out could go along way to the beginnings of a solution. It's a meaningful gesture. I mean the more correct way to name it, as Tallon suggests is Tallons minecraft server (hosted by boards.ie, or hosted by DEV).

There have been suggestions of people asking for things they are not entitled too, or being demanding, because they assume they are entitled to power. I'm not so sure it's as drastic as has been suggested, but it's the little things that build up together to cause the big problems. So discussions on ground rules could take place, it's shouldn't be a huge deal, just see it as creases that need ironing out. We're all here to have fun afterall, and for the most part, we really are.

The stability of the server thus far and the smooth running of it is a combination of many people, Tallon, Dev, Cherry and others that I have yet to get to know better I'm sure. It is this combination of people I would like to see bring it forward, I'm sure that can be made happen.

Again, I probably don't have all the facts, but we're here to have fun, so lets keep having it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

I'm fine with a change of IP, nothing to it at all :P

So long as it's still hosted in Ireland than I have no qualms with this at all! American servers = Horrible latency...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Why change it if it isn't broken? There's no need to change it around, and, from my experience of game servers, isn't there a chane it could shut down eventually because of lack of funds?

And on the boards.is bit, I like the way the server is associated with boards. I know it's not a boards server, but it is (de facto) a server for boardsies. I don't want that to change. At all

Tallon wrote: »

Well what will the rules be and how will they differ from what they have been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Speaking personally I'd like to see an alt server, one with PVP PVE and no spawning of items turned on :p hard-core survival :D
    Other then that I'm fine with any and all changes, if it leads to lag free play :)

This is exactly what I was afraid of. 2 months into building a quality server, one of the best I've ever been on and reputed by others, the community will break apart.

I had reservations, particularly over this, because as you all know the forum and server had built a solid community between us. Now where will it go? Some people will stay, some will go. I don't mind multiple servers of course, its great that there is a possibility of choice, but the entire thing has left a sour taste in my mouth, and some other users feel exactly the same. Whatever decision is made in the next few days will surely affect how closely knit our community is now.

I mean, we all have to bear in mind that without DeV's donation of the server, the community of the boards.ie forum would'nt have reached its dizzying heights that it has now, Tallon's home connection would have crippled long long ago. But on the other hand without the foundation of Tallon's server, we wouldn't have reached this point either.

And might I add, I've done a lot of work on the server. Its been a pain the ass sometimes but its a learning process and its enjoyable to see what does and doesn't work. I'd like to thank DeV, Kharn, mp and Tal for giving me the opportunity to help build a fantastic server, but I don't care what its called in the end. I play to have fun, the name of the server never comes into my mind (until lately with all these shenanigans). I'd rather have us all share the server and what we can acheive, users and admins, rather than things turn dark behind the scenes.

For a new forum and a relatively new server to be at this situation so early is just pure frustration too. I don't 'own' the server, nor do I 'own property' of the server files, I just help in anyway I can to build the Minecraft community. And now I'm stuck between two walls that I can't get over.

I might be rambling a bit and perhaps its the different points of views I've had from everyone today, but I just want it sorted. Tal I've already told you exactly what I think and what I feared, you reassured me everything isn't being relocated off to lolocaust and that you don't claim to own the entire server (some people are annoyed that you said it, probably taken out of context tbh), but can yourself and DeV please have a nice quiet chat together instead of going off on this tangent. You two have different views of where to take it, a clash of personalities as you will. As sacramento said, there is a level playing field there. Even if 2 servers are still brought forward, at least bring them forward in a positive fashion instead of this farce that's been created.

Ok done. I'm going to bed!

Thats excellent input Cherry, exactly what I was looking for

When I said I own the server, I meant the world so to speak. The server could be anywhere and hosted by anyone, but the 'Tallon's Minecraft Server' would remain my baby :)

Now, the reason I want to move, and I have already touched on this several times, is that I don't like holding onto something thats not mine

The server that DeV loaned me, is just that, a loan... it was never meant to be permanent and was always until I could afford my own hosting, which I now can :)

It's the equivelant of getting a loan of a game off a friend, and even though he insists he doesnt need the game back, you want to return it to it's original owner.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Well what will the rules be and how will they differ from what they have been?

They will be the exact same as they are now, and as the world progresses, the rules will be reviewed by all the admins and owners (Im not going to be sitting in my room, banning people for fun and making up stupid rules of no girls allowed.... everything will be down to discussiong by the server admins

Any rules you want to see introduced or modified, feel free to PM myself, Cherryghost or Dirtybollox :)

You said the rules would be different, so I am asking how they'd be different, you seem to want a different set of rules but won't say how/why?

Also Lolcoust? WTF?

You said the rules would be different, so I am asking how they'd be different, you seem to want a different set of rules but won't say how/why?

Also Lolcoust? WTF?
    When did I say the rules would be different? I've just explained above what way the rules will work

Also, lolocaust was another site who was going to offer their hosting services, But again, as above, I will be paying for a dedicated server myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

What are the disadvantages with staying on the boards.ie server?

My opinion, I'm worried that if we change to another server the up-keep won't be as good. I'm based in Australia and I have no problems with the lag on the current server. But when I log onto other Irish servers, the game becomes practically unplayable because of the lag.

My other big concern would be the possibility that the community gets broken up. I'm really enjoying getting to know the members of boards.ie through various build projects etc. and don't want that to change.

They're just my two cents.

• Advertisement

When did I say the rules would be different? I've just explained above what way the rules will work

Here.

So what boards.ie rules are you looking to get rid of and what will be the code of conduct to protect users?
    Also, lolocaust was another site who was going to offer their hosting services, But again, as above, I will be paying for a dedicated server myself

Right.

Teg Veece wrote: »
    What are the disadvantages with staying on the boards.ie server?

My opinion, I'm worried that if we change to another server the up-keep won't be as good. I'm based in Australia and I have no problems with the lag on the current server. But when I log onto other Irish servers, the game becomes practically unplayable because of the lag.

My other big concern would be the possibility that the community gets broken up. I'm really enjoying getting to know the members of boards.ie through various build projects etc. and don't want that to change.

They're just my two cents.

The server we're moving to is actually better, and we have the option to upgrade at a later stage
    So what boards.ie rules are you looking to get rid of and what will be the code of conduct to protect users?

Apologies, atm, the rules stand that if you misbehave on the server, a boards ban / infraction could apply

That won't be the case on the new server as boards won't be claiming ownership of it

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And if someone doesnt want to follow you to the land of milk and honey, what will become of the work they have put into the server?

DeV.

And if someone doesnt want to follow you to the land of milk and honey, what will become of the work they have put into the server?

DeV.
    Land of milk and honey? Why are you lowering yourself to childish insults like that? honestly.

The world will be moving to the new server, if people don't want to come that is entirely their choice, I have no problems with that. They can still visit both servers... it's not like people have to choose one or the other here!

The 'boards.ie' server can start with a fresh new world.

DeV.

Land of milk and honey? Why are you lowering yourself to childish insults like that? honestly.

The world will be moving to the new server, if people don't want to come that is entirely their choice, I have no problems with that. They can still visit both servers... it's not like people have to choose one or the other here!

The 'boards.ie' server can start with a fresh new world.

would it be too outrageous to ask for people to place signs at their works of art so we know 1) who made what and 2) who made what so if they dont move with the server we can know they wont be back and still be able to accredit them with their work.

just a though as the rule of "nothing will be destroyed no matter what" except for special circumstances Kharn pointed ou in another thread . so al structures in developement atm or already completed will always be there.

• Advertisement

I've put a lot of work into the mines I was digging, on a server I provided, which Cherryghost ran. I appreciate you had a lot to do with the start of the server etc, but where do you get off just claiming ownership of that work?

And as for Lolocaust :rolleyes:

I dunno, I'm just saying my piece as someone who got involved. I think the whole thing stinks and I wont be putting any more time into something you clearly see as your property.

DeV.

Apologies, atm, the rules stand that if you misbehave on the server, a boards ban / infraction could apply

Why is this suddenly a problem?

I've put a lot of work into the mines I was digging, on a server I provided, which Cherryghost ran. I appreciate you had a lot to do with the start of the server etc, but where do you get off just claiming ownership of that work?

And as for Lolocaust :rolleyes:

I dunno, I'm just saying my piece as someone who got involved. I think the whole thing stinks and I wont be putting any more time into something you clearly see as your property.

DeV.

And? Your mines are still there... You can still work on them. They won't be touched and the only reason your not going to finish them is because they're not on 'your' server?

If I'm being perfectly honest, thats a bit childish

I don't 'get off' claiming ownership. The files are mine, the world is mine. everyone is still free to build on it and visit.

What about my posts here on boards, they're owned by you, If I asked for them to be deleted, you would say no.

And as for lolocaust... what about it? I'm not getting hosting with them so whats the issue?

You seen how big my world has got and you want to have the same, i get it, but you can't just take it from me.

Start your own and I would love help build on it and make it epic.

Why is this suddenly a problem?
    Why is what suddenly a problem?

*sigh* I dont want anything from you Tallon, I'm not stopping you taking anything. I was trying to get you to see sense but you are beginning to sound like Gollem.

What I want is for you to treat the people who have helped you build this server with some respect and stop treating it like your ball you can take home whenever you like.

Look, do as you will.... I'm not getting into a protracted argument with you. I have said what I think.

DeV.

*sigh* I dont want anything from you Tallon, I'm not stopping you taking anything. I was trying to get you to see sense but you are beginning to sound like Gollem.

What I want is for you to treat the people who have helped you build this server with some respect and stop treating it like your ball you can take home whenever you like.

Look, do as you will.... I'm not getting into a protracted argument with you. I have said what I think.

DeV.

I have Never ever treated anyone with disrespect. Ever.

I'm actually annoyed you said that.

The only thing thats changing here is your hand in it. Thats all.

It's not some 'ball' that I'm going to take off people. It's a joint venture with Michaelpower and cherryghost (If he comes) and all the admins and I can't make that decision without talking with them

Just the same that you can't turn off boards.ie just because your píssed off, you would need to discuss it with the other owners and Admins.

I have been upfront with everything and everyone at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Would it be too much to ask for a copy of the world files so that if people so desire, they can continue working on their projects but on a (semi-)official boards.ie setting?

I haven't had an opportunity to build anything on the server yet (busy in work and exploring Turkey) - but surely this is a simple enough compromise?

Kazuma wrote: »
    Would it be too much to ask for a copy of the world files so that if people so desire, they can continue working on their projects but on a (semi-)official boards.ie setting?

I haven't had an opportunity to build anything on the server yet (busy in work and exploring Turkey) - but surely this is a simple enough compromise?
    No, sorry. if you want to build onto the village, feel free to join the server :)

Simple

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm an admin on the server, you never mentioned any of this to me...

Sorry Tallon, I'm very disappointed in your behaviour and your attitude that something a community of people built is somehow yours to decide on. I have no interest in working with you any more. You appear to me to be completely uninterested in community only having your name on the top of everyone's work.

For what it's worth, I think the Boards server should start afresh on a new world (so that no one can claim "ownership") with whatever community of players wish to work on it and I say good luck to everyone who moves on to Tallon's new server. We'll welcome your input on the forum here, this is for all Minecraft discussion, not just a single server :) It's a place a lot of us have put a lot of time into, I'm sure we'd all like to keep tabs on it as it grows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

feylya wrote: »

craft.timbyr.com

current dns name that i use for the server...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement