Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallon's Minecraft Server BIG CHANGES? Please read

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't particularly want to get into the middle of this, but I think people are misinterpreting things to be insults when they aren't really.

Firstly, Tallon, look over your posts here and see how many times you have used the words "My" and "Mine". The server isn't yours. I mean, technically it is, but it's everyone who took part in it's creation that made it what it is. With out them it'd be empty. If you move the server and no one follows you, then it'll just be a monument graveyard.

I fully understand the desire to move though. I'd feel the same. I never like feeling beholden to others, and much prefer to be self sufficient. And I'd wager having the server attached to Boards does kind of make you feel like you're not in control. Well, when you start going on about how the server is yours, you make all the users feel like that. It's a community. Everyone knows who's in charge, but you're going to end up alienating people if keep on about how it's yours. As Dev said, you're sounding a bit like Gollum.

I don't know what the PM's between Tallon and Dev were, but it kind of sounds a bit like Dev may be taking it a bit too personally that Tallon wants to move the server. As I said above, it does kind of seem more a case of not wanting to be beholden to someone, rather than wanting to stamp his name on it. I think whatever way you were discussing things, you used the wrong words and phrases and both took everything the wrong way.

I think the point of my rambling is to say, seriously, it's just a game. If the server and it's backups were destroyed today, we'd all just happily start again tomorrow. It's not what was built that made the server great, it was the people you were building it with (except the f*ckers who kept burying me when I was AFK!).

Where the server is doesn't matter a jot. Think about what's best for everyone who's part of the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Tallon wrote: »
    Why is what suddenly a problem?

Why can't you answer my questions?

Why do you want the separations so that people's action on the server don't have repercussions on this site?

What is the code of conduct which you have mentioned several times which will protect users of the server?

I think given the history there has been between this site and lolocoust entering discussions with them and thinking of moving the server and discussion to there is pretty disrespectful and I can see how Dev may felt that was a right kick in the teeth considering he was/is hosting the server for the community. So that I would view as disrespectful.

Also which mod was abusive?
    Instead of Mods demanding things be removed without consulting either of the 3 owners and being abusive about it at the same time
    I don't want to take the community...

No you just want to take what that community built and have it on your sever and no doubt show it off on you tube. Good luck with that.

One thing I learned from when the server was reset after the grieving causes by jealous tards who came from youtube were let on, that I can rebuild and had prolly more fun rebuilding and was able to do so faster.

I could have chosen to play on any server but I chose this one, cos it was the one with the boards community on it and people I know so that I could hang out with those who I consider mates and build cools stuff.
    I still want to do this, and if that means starting over on a new server, I am ok with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

humanji wrote: »
    Think about what's best for everyone who's part of the community.

this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Minecraft.

Serious business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Kharn wrote: »
    I'm an admin on the server, you never mentioned any of this to me...

You stopped replying to PM's and we're taking actions into your own hands, demading things without consulting any of us and being abusive to people.
    Sorry Tallon, I'm very disappointed in your behaviour and your attitude that something a community of people built is somehow yours to decide on. I have no interest in working with you any more. You appear to me to be completely uninterested in community only having your name on the top of everyone's work.

Not true, that's your own opinion.
    humanji wrote: »

Where the server is doesn't matter a jot. Think about what's best for everyone who's part of the community.

I've made that part bold as it's exactly what I'm trying to say here.
    Sharrow wrote: »
    Why can't you answer my questions?

I'm trying, but they're very vauge
    Why do you want the separations so that people's action on the server don't have repercussions on this site?

I don't but if DeV no longer loans me the server, and I'm not a mod here, it's impossible for me to enforce this
    What is the code of conduct which you have mentioned several times which will protect users of the server?

We are writing up a full list of rules at the moment. I will be getting input from all the Admins and owners. The rules are already in the OP of my thread.
    I think given the history there has been between this site and lolocoust entering discussions with them and thinking of moving the server and discussion to there is pretty disrespectful and I can see how Dev may felt that was a right kick in the teeth considering he was/is hosting the server for the community. So that I would view as disrespectful.

How is it disrespectfull? I was looking into all angles of hosting, and decided not to go to lolocaust for several reasons, one of which was that I didn't split the community
    Also which mod was abusive?

Kharn

No you just want to take what that community built and have it on your sever and no doubt show it off on you tube. Good luck with that.

It started on my server, moved to a temp one, and is now going back to mine. Whats the issue? And it's always been on youtube, it's also been on Sprrratt, Cherryghost, Kersmash and other peoples channels
    One thing I learned from when the server was reset after the grieving causes by jealous tards who came from youtube were let on, that I can rebuild and had prolly more fun rebuilding and was able to do so faster.

Then if you decide to not keep building on the server, you can just start again on Boards.ie exclusive server
    I could have chosen to play on any server but I chose this one, cos it was the one with the boards community on it and people I know so that I could hang out with those who I consider mates and build cools stuff.
    I still want to do this, and if that means starting over on a new server, I am ok with that.

It still will have boards.ie users on it, it still will be part of the community, everyone will still be welcome on. All thats changing is me recieving a free handout

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

No, sorry. if you want to build onto the village, feel free to join the server :)

Simple
    Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind not wanting a duplicate world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Why is this suddenly a problem?

If I may offer an opinion.

I don't like the idea that what you do off site can have repercussions on-site. There was a whole debacle some time ago concerning a certain fantasy league soccer site and one user's actions on that. I forget the result of it all but the fact that what someone did off site was subject to on-site censure (or at least, others called for it) didn't sit well with me.
    Okay, the server is hosted on boards' own servers but focusing on that would be missing my point. The rules of this site cover what you do on this site.

Basically my thoughts are thus: you should only receive bans/infractions on boards.ie for your actions on boards.ie.

EDIT: On the subject of the migration I really don't see the issue. Yes without the community the server wouldn't be what it is but without Tallon there wouldn't be a server in the first place.

It was very kind of DeV to offer a leg-up - so to speak - to Tallon but I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting to strike out on his own.
    Maybe it's just me but I honestly don't see how the community would just vanish overnight if the servers were to change. You'd still have a common place to meet and discuss issues with one another.
    I've read the thread and I just don't get what the problem is, I'm sorry.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind not wanting a duplicate world?
    A few reasons, one being It was build up by people who visited the server, and would like to leave it as theirs and not worry about seeing it on a random server or youtube video someday with people claiming they made it

• Advertisement

twinQuins wrote: »
    Okay, the server is hosted on boards' own servers

Just to clarify, No it's not!

I think I may have mis-spoke. I meant that DeV owns your server and boards.ie's servers so... I guess that was the point I was getting at.
    I didn't mean to say it's on the same physical server(s) as the site, sorry.

twinQuins wrote: »
    If I may offer an opinion.

I don't like the idea that what you do off site can have repercussions on-site. There was a whole debacle some time ago concerning a certain fantasy league soccer site and one user's actions on that. I forget the result of it all but the fact that what someone did off site was subject to on-site censure (or at least, others called for it) didn't sit well with me.
    Okay, the server is hosted on boards' own servers but focusing on that would be missing my point. The rules of this site cover what you do on this site.

Basically my thoughts are thus: you should only receive bans/infractions on boards.ie for your actions on boards.ie.

I can understand the need for the Boards.ie team to be careful about what the name gets used for and how if something is seen to be affiliated esp officially with the boards.ie brand/site it is going to have consequences.

Ah yes, I hadn't considered that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You stopped replying to PM's and we're taking actions into your own hands, demading things without consulting any of us and being abusive to people.
    What actions are you referring to and what PMs have I not answered? In case you didn't realise, Boards.ie has rules and it was agreed that the server would also follow those rules. The fact that we now had what I thought was a Boards.ie Server was one of the reasons I got this forum up and running. If anything carries the Boards.ie name on it, it's expected to follow the site rules - it's the condition we insist upon if we allow the site's name to be used. All this started because of the incident twinQuins mentioned where one of our mods was being harassed and abused on a fantasy football league that was made up of Boards members, promoted on Boards and was called the Boards.ie Fantasy League. So tell me where on this site can you post a picture of a penis and expect to remain unbanned or at least unchecked?

Could you also explain to me where I was abusive? You think me telling people who appear to have a penis fixation that they have what appears to be a penis fixation is abusive? Since we're here, was anyone genuinely offended by what I said? I got the feeling that there was more general amusement than outrage, but maybe I'm wrong? I'm more than willing to put my hand up and apologise if this is the case. My intention was to make a non-specific and non-personal case of the issue in such a manner as to point out how stupid it is and that we don't want to see it again.

But Tallon, you've a very selective memory when you want. Is there something wrong with me insisting that we have a server that everyone can use without being subjected to giant dicks on it or expecting women to be able to use the server without being asked about their vagina or to wear a naked skin for the boy's amusement? Is that the sort of puerile and childish nonsense you want to allow on your server? If so, you're welcome to it. Forgive me everyone, I'm 32 years old and grew out of that sort of nonsense 20 years ago.

What actions are you referring to and what PMs have I not answered? In case you didn't realise, Boards.ie has rules and it was agreed that the server would also follow those rules. The fact that we now had what I thought was a Boards.ie Server was one of the reasons I got this forum up and running. If anything carries the Boards.ie name on it, it's expected to follow the site rules - it's the condition we insist upon if we allow the site's name to be used. All this started because of the incident twinQuins mentioned where one of our mods was being harassed and abused on a fantasy football league that was made up of Boards members, promoted on Boards and was called the Boards.ie Fantasy League. So tell me where on this site can you post a picture of a penis and expect to remain unbanned or at least unchecked?

Could you also explain to me where I was abusive? You think me telling people who appear to have a penis fixation that they have what appears to be a penis fixation is abusive? Since we're here, was anyone genuinely offended by what I said? I got the feeling that there was more general amusement than outrage, but maybe I'm wrong? I'm more than willing to put my hand up and apologise if this is the case. My intention was to make a non-specific and non-personal case of the issue in such a manner as to point out how stupid it is and that we don't want to see it again.

But Tallon, you've a very selective memory when you want. Is there something wrong with me insisting that we have a server that everyone can use without being subjected to giant dicks on it or expecting women to be able to use the server without being asked about their vagina or to wear a naked skin for the boy's amusement? Is that the sort of puerile and childish nonsense you want to allow on your server? If so, you're welcome to it. Forgive me everyone, I'm 32 years old and grew out of that sort of nonsense 20 years ago.

The actions of demanding things be removed without asking anyone else

PM's about thread titles changes

You insisted on calling it 'boards.ie server' so I have never used the name in the wrong, or said that it's a boards server, I never asked to be represented by boards hence the reason I want it called "Tallon's Minecraft Server" so that I will be accountable to anything that is said

It wasn't a picture of a penis, it was a screenshot from a video game where someone made something that looked like a penis. I agree that it should have been removed, I even said I would remove it and so did Cherry, but demanding it be removed and then insulting the person that made it is not on.

You didn't just say "people who appear to have a penis fixation that they have what appears to be a penis fixation is abusive?" you said:
    attempts at humour from young men with penis fixation who probably can't come to terms with their latent homo-erotic fantasies

if I posted that on this site i would be banned!

Again, I agree with the removal, but the way you handled it was ridiculous

The server is for everyone, jokes were made, and rules were discussed to prevent these things from happening in the future. Even owners and admins are not immune to these rules. But noone was "asked about their vagina or to wear a naked skin for the boy's amusement?" You're wording it in such a way that it comes across, and that incdent has since been resolved and dealt with, and rules brought in to stop it happening in future.

The person that was at the recieving end even returning to build!

We don't allow nonsense on the server, yes some stuff has happened, but it's a learning curve. The exact same things would happen no matter who was hosting !

• Advertisement

If you had an issue with Kharn's post then you should have reported it, went to the cat mod and to the admins/feedback forum to have it out rather then now citing it as a reason you want to decouple the server.
    But noone was "asked about their vagina or to wear a naked skin for the boy's amusement?"

I was.
    I was asked by you if I had a vagina.
    So it did happen and yes there were assurances made that type of carry on would not happen again, esp as it was a boards.ie community.
    We don't allow nonsense on the server, yes some stuff has happened, but it's a learning curve. The exact same things would happen no matter who was hosting !

You don't now that you were called on it but it seems that you getting called on it and having to put those rules in place has you chaffing and wanting it to be your own place once again. Fair enough, but honestly I am having to think long and hard about if I want the minecraft art I made on the server to stay there.

Will you be taking requests and honouring them from those who won't move with the sever to have what they built removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So tell me where on this site can you post a picture of a penis and expect to remain unbanned or at least unchecked?
    I'll just say I don't know which penis you are on about: the gold one which was built when the server was on Tallons home machine, or another one?

As for the childish crap about someone asking someone about their vagina, meh. That sh|t shouldn't happen.

=-=

I agree with Tal, DeVore and Kharn.

Tal has a point whereby he created the server, put a lot of time into it, and generally made it nice. If he wants to move it, cool.

DeV and Kharns posts have a similar vibe to them, and I agree with Kharn that if the server is based on boards.ie server, it should follow boards.ie rules. At the same time, DeVore's point about the community also rings true.

Hrm. I don't know. I support all three points of view, see where they come from, but can't agree with only one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

This nonsense is taking the fun out of the game. Is there a need for this to be public?

the_syco wrote: »
    I'll just say I don't know which penis you are on about: the gold one which was built when the server was on Tallons home machine, or another one?

Another one.
    And looking at the thread Tallon didn't seem to have an issue with the thread, the request or the removal of it.

• Advertisement

Another one.
    And looking at the thread Tallon didn't seem to have an issue with the thread, the request or the removal of it.
    Really? maybe look at my frist reply in the thread!
    Will you be taking requests and honouring them from those who won't move with the sever to have what they built removed?

What do you mean? if you choose not to visit the server anymore, that's fine.

If you would like your artwork removed from the server, PM myself and I can remove it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sprrratt wrote: »
    This nonsense is taking the fun out of the game. Is there a need for this to be public?

To be fair I expected a bit of conflict and criticism, namely constructive criticism(not much of it going on at the moment :rolleyes:). The entire thing needs to be sorted between user and mods, dealing off thread would just be messy.

We're near a conclusion anyway, Tallon is going ahead with it regardless of some peoples opinions.

I was asked to make it public... As it is a community and people from boards are building on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i have to agree here.

i was fallowing this thread at work for awile, and i suggest to take it in private or in a pub, as the **** will hit the fan soon.

i know cherry gave his opinion about all this, but i would like to know what is he planing on doing next. as much ownership goes, you forget that there were ather people who were doing all the dirty job. ( atleast thats what i sow in last few weeks i play on server)

with all respect lads, bouth sides look like dogs, which are fighting for a bone, which was babysiteed, cleaned, fedd, nursed, loved, bottom cleaned by cherry.

all this **** storm started when it got popular on that youtube show, so it had a fame smell all over it. Suddenly the little server that was done and played by few people is needed to everyone.

bouth of you should take it privatly and sort it out there, then bring the news to all users. All this warrioring does not make good image to server.
    I bet quite a few people have stoped theyr projects, just becouse of this thread.

dont be droping even more dirt at each ather in front of all players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

absolutly. if a person isnt moving with the server and says nothing about their creation on the server it will stay where it is. if they then say a week/month/year on that they want to return then what the built will still be there. anyone griefing another persons construction whether or not that person is an active member will be taken very seriously and said person will be kicked/banned depending on the severity and if it was accidental or not. i myself will be enforcing this myself and will take everyting into consideration if and when it happens.

that said if you arent moving with the server and want your construction to be taken down or want to do it yourself then it will be done. i speak for myself here but if soemone asks for their building to be removed then we can not stop them.

If you would like your artwork removed from the server, PM myself and I can remove it

Cheers, nice to know it's an option.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Look this is pointless.

Tallon, I dunno why but if you want to leave then leave. I think demanding the game world only be available on your new server is disrepectful of everyone who has helped you.

To be clear, my suggestion is that you stay here. Accept that others have a say in the server's future, name, etc. And build a group of representatives to form a server council and decide its future that way.

If thats not acceptible to you then you go your way and we will restart here.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You insisted on calling it 'boards.ie server' so I have never used the name in the wrong, or said that it's a boards server, I never asked to be represented by boards hence the reason I want it called "Tallon's Minecraft Server" so that I will be accountable to anything that is said
    Because DeVore donated the server on the grounds that this is what he was donating it for. It was supposed to be the Boards.ie Minecraft Server. He has confirmed this with me several times - we talk a lot - he's my friend and also my boss. The fact that you had an established world with people already working on it that was in need of a new home was a fortunate and convenient coincidence. So the world from your home server was ported across because it was a better idea than simply starting a new one (which is what we're going to do now).
    But noone was "asked about their vagina or to wear a naked skin for the boy's amusement?"
    Now you're just flat out lying Tallon, I was there when you did it. You were insisting that the member in question answer you about whether they had a vagina or not and making a big deal about us having a girl on the server. When someone else said that they were a woman too you said they should get together and dance for you. So yes, we had to bring in rules for what amounts to basic civility and respect. Always a shame when you have to make rules for common sense.

As for my handling of the issue, believe it or not, I do happen to know a thing or two about online communities. You make an example out of something (not someone though) and come down like a ton of bricks on it, it doesn't happen again. I didn't name names (I still don't know who built it and don't care) nor did I seek to personalise the whole thing, but in what I think was a light-hearted manner made sure that we won't see something like that happening again. No one reported the post to my knowledge, no one found offence at the jibe. That doesn't necessarily mean it was ok I will accept, but certainly at the time, there were no objections.

However, since you feel so strongly about it Tallon, I offer a free and sincere apology to you and all of our Minecraft Forum members if I overstepped my boundaries and any of you felt offended by the manner in which I dealt with the issue. It won't happen again.

Finally, and most importantly, I don't need to run the decision to remove offensive content from the site (and by extension a server that follow's the site's rules), by anyone, Tallon, it's part of my job. That aside, Boards.ie entrusts *all* its moderators to do exactly the same thing, this is how the site works and shouldn't come as a shock to you. I had means of hopping into the world to delete it myself, however, I thought that whoever put it there might man up and take responsibility and apologise to all involved for such nonsense. Is it too much to expect that people act like grown ups?

[edit]
    I'm done with the tit-for-tat. No one else here is interested in any of this. The long and the short of it we're now going to have 2 servers where once there was 1 and that's no bad thing. Cherry I know will be helping Tallon and co to get their new server running but has most graciously agreed to continue helping out with the Boards.ie Server. Expect a new thread about that and its future tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DeVore wrote: »
    Look this is pointless.

Tallon, I dunno why but if you want to leave then leave. I think demanding the game world only be available on your new server is disrepectful of everyone who has helped you.

To be clear, my suggestion is that you stay here. Accept that others have a say in the server's future, name, etc. And build a group of representatives to form a server council and decide its future that way.

DeV.

I haven't agree with everything that DeV has said on this thread, and as shadowhearth has stated at this stage both look side like dogs, but the highlighted part above seems to me to be the most amicable resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Seems an awful pity to see the community split up like this.

I've only logged in a couple of times so I don't have any real investment in the current world, but surely the fairest way to split would be to simply copy the map so that people can keep their constructions on whichever server they choose to play on.

• Advertisement

Look this is pointless.

DeV.

I'm not demanding anything, I'm just saying the server files wont be released to everyone.

I am staying here

Others did, still do and will always have a say... thats not changing!

Also, there is a group of representitives. I've been saying that this whole time, have a re-read of the thread.

So all your points are a bit baffling :confused:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I may not have made this clear here, but I am not the one demanding the server is named after me, I dont care what its named.

I'm not leaving with the files for the world and insisting that no one else is allowed to host that world, nor am I asking for anything to be named after me or Boards.

What I DO want to be sure of is that if I put a chunk of time and effort into this server its not going anywhere else... its not, for example, going to be taken away and handed over to Lolocaust as it almost was yesterday.
    I think considering its hosted on my server, and contains at least some of my work, that those are not unreasonable requests.

DeV.

Because DeVore donated the server on the grounds that this is what he was donating it for. It was supposed to be the Boards.ie Minecraft Server. He has confirmed this with me several times - we talk a lot - he's my friend and also my boss. .

This was Never said to me... the server was loaned to me as a favour.

I'll reply to the rest of your post when I'm home later

I'm not demanding anything, I'm just saying the server files wont be released to everyone.

I am staying here

Others did, still do and will always have a say... thats not changing!

Also, there is a group of representitives. I've been saying that this whole time, have a re-read of the thread.

So all your points are a bit baffling :confused:
    So who WILL the server files be released to? Can Cherryghost continue to host it on my server then?

DeV.

I may not have made this clear here, but I am not the one demanding the server is named after me, I dont care what its named.

I'm not leaving with the files for the world and insisting that no one else is allowed to host that world, nor am I asking for anything to be named after me or Boards.

What I DO want to be sure of is that if I put a chunk of time and effort into this server its not going anywhere else... its not, for example, going to be taken away and handed over to Lolocaust as it almost was yesterday.
    I think considering its hosted on my server, and contains at least some of my work, that those are not unreasonable requests.

DeV.

The server started off being called 'Tallon's Minecraft Server' and it's only fair it should stay the same

The server will never be taken away from people! I told you already, I can't decide that on my own

I can assure you the time and effort you put into the server will never be taken away from you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm going to lock this. Its clear now that

- The server will be migrated regardless, probably within the next 24 hours. The current boards.ie hosted one will be taken offline and the new server will be on a new IP within a few hours.
    - People not wanting to join back in can get their items removed if they wish.
    - Tal will have the last say on every going on in the server.
    - A copy of the world is not permitted, subject to change.
    - Boards.ie will have a fresh new server with a different gameplay approach, sorted by the end of the week.
    - Any other issues that arise, please PM Tallon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement