Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for first time renters

Options
  • 06-03-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

We are a family of 3 returning to Ireland shortly. We will be renting when we arrive but are new to the renting market (in Ireland) and are unsure of what prospective landlords/letting agencies will require.

What kind of info will they be looking for? We pretty much know where we are headed and what kind of property we want etc, its just the kind of thing like do they require reference from previous landlord etc that we are fuzzy on!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you or your husband working or have a job arranged when you get here?
    I've never had to give a landlord reference, sure it could be anyone on the mobile phone number I give

So landlords usually ask for a landline to your boss or HR.
    They shouldn't ask anything more that you're working full time or part time. They don't need any other info and a good HR officer would not say anything more

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi,

We are a family of 3 returning to Ireland shortly. We will be renting when we arrive but are new to the renting market (in Ireland) and are unsure of what prospective landlords/letting agencies will require.

What kind of info will they be looking for? We pretty much know where we are headed and what kind of property we want etc, its just the kind of thing like do they require reference from previous landlord etc that we are fuzzy on!

Thanks in advance :)

Have a look at daft ie to get some ideas re houses.

I have never been asked for references; but I am a pensioner so maybe that is different.

There would be more concern over what YOU ask the landlord/agent, frankly. And please, do not rent before arriving unless you have someone very reliable to inspect etc.

Advertisement