Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paint bubbling

• 06-03-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi
    I have paint on different internal walls which is bubbling to varying degrees. The latest occurrence of this started last week on the wall on the landing. It just appeared over about a week. It is now on both sides of an internal wall (chimney down the middle) the walls don’t feel damp and I have searched for dampness but found nothing. The walls have not been painted for approx 2 years.
    I am not sure what it is coming from. It just seems to appear randomly on the walls. It seems to dry out (or whatever) after a while and not get any bigger.
    Suggestions on what it is and how I get it fixed greatly appreciated.

06032011136.jpg

06032011135.jpg

06032011134.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

can you try scratching off a bit and see if it is chalky behind it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Pretty definite that water is getting in somehow.

Check the flashing on the chimney you mentioned. Water could be blowing up under it when the wind is from a certain direction and reaches a certain speed so the "leak" might be intermittent.

It is also possible that the ingress is into the plaster. Are there any cracks on the plaster on the chimney. Also if you have the white sand plaster, it can be very porous particulary if sponge finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thats definitely a leak, but if this is a chimney wall, then I'd be willing to bet there is a leak at the flashing on the top of the roof somewhere.

Tried to explain that to someone before who had the same bubbles on the wall as you had, but they wouldn't listen... Typical.:rolleyes:

Back OT, its a leak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

It could be the flashing around the chimney but this usually wets the ceiling first, Check out the chimney in the attic. It will be blocks and if they are wet up to about 6 inches of the felt then you will know it is the flashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭ballydavid10

Hi
    Thanks for the replys, I was guessing it was water. while i have it on 2 walls either side of the chimney the latest patch is well away from the chimney on an internal wall at the landening (images 2 & 3). it appeared on the middle of the wall over the space of a week. The wall doesn’t feel cold or damp but I will tear some paint away to review. the only thing I can think of is the bathroom is above this latest patch and there may be a new leak in pipe or something.

I will investigate further.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I had the same problem in my last house many years ago and it was the chimney. The builder I got did a real good job and it was covered by my house insurance.

The reason you are finding the bubbling elsewhere is that the water is now travelling to another weak point.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It could be efflorescence: salts in the plaster migrating through the paint.
    How soon after plastering were the walls painted and where they given a proper mist coat?
    Nothing much you can do about it, but let it run it's course and then treat and repaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭ballydavid10

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It could be efflorescence: salts in the plaster migrating through the paint.
    How soon after plastering were the walls painted and where they given a proper mist coat?
    Nothing much you can do about it, but let it run it's course and then treat and repaint.

Hi
    Thanks very much for the help. i pulled some of the paint and it is a very dry white powder underneath. i have checked for dampness around the chimney and nothing.
    the walls were not painted for approximately a month or 2 adter they were plastered
    Happyman42 i think you may be on to something, what do you reccomend as the best way to treat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I would let it run its course, take off what is there at the moment and as it occurs...might take a while for it all to leach out.
    Wash with a vinegar solution. Then neutralise by washing down with a mild soapy solution and then let it dry out thoroughly before starting with a thin coat of paint and then two or three finishing coats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I would suggest touching up any chalky parts with bin primer or 123 primer before painting. if you paint straight over the chalky parts the paint will come off again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement