Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouTube becoming a nightmare for anyone else?

• 06-03-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

for the past few weeks youtube has been getting worse and worse for me. its not buffering anymore at all. all i get is the first 4 seconds of the clip and then the dredded circle, which lasts far longer than my pacience, so i reload the page/skip forward a bit/everything and nothing works anymore. odd thing is that some videos work fine, and load almost instintaniously, well enough that i dont have to wait for a buffer. 720p and 1080p never load properly.

anyone else getting this problem?

im on UPC's 20mb package, and noone else is on the internet currently. (im using wireless. this problem affects all laptops and a macbook pro in the house, but it has no effect on eg imdb.com trailers and vimeo etc.

ive also tested with safari/opera/IE/firefox/chrome and nothing changes.

is there a VPN provider that lets you test it, even for a few minutes, to see if im not being throttled at my end?
    DL speeds and torrents work fine.

1187122844.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

i feel your pain.

i notised lately that when you full sceen a youtube, it drops the existing cache and starts loading video again, that pisses me all the way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

yeah thats because it ups the resolution to 480p from 360/240. annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You can change that in your playback settings. Also if you start playing the video first before fullscreening it I don't think it ups to 480.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Same with me. Some youtube videos just refuse to load and I have to refresh the page a couple of times to get them to start buffering :mad:. I can watch videos on other sites fine though so it must be a problem with youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

On Smart here and getting the same thing.
    Everything else is fast, but Youtube is always buffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

same problem here, its a complete nightmare even on iphone, I watched the liverpool vs utd game today on xbox and not a single bit of biuffering it was excellent. I'm also on 20mbs upc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 frostfrosty

yes Im also having problems in the last week or two. I thought it might be Firefox but I found a way round it.

If you go to the Poster's channel and watch the video from there , that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SWK

Is your Adobe Flash Player up to date, I'm not a techie but that's my attempt at being helpful. Don't get me started on Broadband providers, have been on O2 for around a year. Does anyone else find the 15GB download limit impossible to stay within. Especially when it's being used by more than one person. Have had bills in and around the 100 euro mark because the 2c per MB penalty is so harsh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

And heres me thinking it was just my laptop or IPS that was the problem. It just seems to be youtube when i thinjt about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Same problems here, I've tested it in Cork, on UPC, across the country with 3 mobile and in Amsterdam (Vodafone mobile and XS4ALL DSL). All on different PC and Laptops and even different OSs (win7, Debian, Ubuntu, win XP) It's definetly a Youtube problem.
    I just noticed they do HTML5 now which seem a bit faster, you can opt-in for that at http://www.youtube.com/html5
    Make sure you use Firefox or chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Same problems here, used to be able to stream full hd videos no problem, isnt a bandwidth problem either, very frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I dont understand what you mean.. do you mean across ALL providers or just on your provider? My youtube (on 3 mobile broadband) has slowed down a lot all the same though..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have issues on eircom if I go full screen, I suspect eircom have a misconfigured transparent cache somewhere on their network :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

same issue here youtube is yousless atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

I dont understand what you mean.. do you mean across ALL providers or just on your provider? My youtube (on 3 mobile broadband) has slowed down a lot all the same though..

For me , it's across a load of different providers and not just in Ireland. Thus it's some routing problem exclusive to Europe, or more likely somethings up with Youtube.

(Wonder ifs it been attacked at all, something to do with the whole Egypt, Libya & China close-down of their countries networks? )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I have issues on eircom if I go full screen, I suspect eircom have a misconfigured transparent cache somewhere on their network :)

what kind of issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I have noticed issues too in the past 2 days and we get our connectivity via e-net.
    It starts to load, plays then stops and doesnt come back most of the time.

It starts to load, plays then stops and doesnt come back most of the time.

Precisely those issues. It could well be Youtube themselves making a balls of propogating to service provider caches or simply making a balls of everything:)

Anyway, no full screen for me nowadays. Seems Ok in small screen mode.

• Advertisement

I dont even change the screen size and I still have the same issue.
    Maybe they have gone over their DL limit with their providers and have been throttled back!! :)

Test with this classic starring our Taoiseach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJ_7SqKxGI

If you go full screen you need to scroll back and press play, hmmmmm.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Test with this classic starring our Taoiseach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJ_7SqKxGI

If you go full screen you need to scroll back and press play, hmmmmm.

Ye seen that last night, it works fine for me, by the time I had clicked on the full screen the damn thing was fully loaded up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

Same problem for me on Youtube using UPC.
    Am tempted to fire a letter off to Youtube but not sure who or where would be the correct contact in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

For folks what has the problem when they goes fullscreen, if you's with chromium try this extension:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kaielpkecabnggniojjhghggjedkecfj
    You can set what resolution it auto-loads with if you use flash, that should stop it needing to start caching again.
    It also does more.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

may have found a temp fix and it does seem to work

http://www.youtube.com/html5

scroll to the bottom of the page and join ...as i say works for me and a friend i sent it to said the same ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Issues here as well on Vodafone 3Mbit broadband, most videos take an age to load in even on the lowest settings, that's if they even load at all. No problems with any other video streaming service, just youtube.

Also, I tried opting in to the html5 version prioryc but haven't noticed and difference, thanks anyway for the suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

I have Eircom landline wireless broadband and youtube plays all the time with no interuptions

Advertisement