Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to watch next......?

Options
  • 06-03-2011 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I'm finally setting aside time to catch up on anime that i've been missing out on. I've got a couple series at my disposal, which one do you think i should watch?

Code Geass
    Full Metal Panic
    Claymore
    Wolf's Rain
    Tokko
    [Wildcard]Transformers original series ;)

This will be the first bit of anime i've watched since i arrived in Dublin 5 months ago, so if i'm disappointed it will forever be printed in my mind that my first foray into anime in Ireland was terrible :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

I've only watched Claymore and Code Geuss fully, have seen some of the others.

Claymore is very good, the ending is a bit meh though and you'll probably pick up the manga afterwards to see what happens next. Cutting out the middle man and just starting with the manga like I did with Gantz and Berserk might be a good idea.

Code Geuss is entertaining, but very little else. Tries too hard to be Death Note with robots and the narrative is all over the place. HORRIBLY overrated, about as believable as a theory that Evangelion was all a plot to sell Rice Krispies, but there's a few nice twists and interesting fights in there so I wouldn't call it a waste of time, just disappointing.

I watched the first few episodes of Wolf's Rain, didn't impress me too much. And as for the Transformers series, I tried to watch it when it aired on Anime Centrel years ago. If you like filler it might be your thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't bother watching Claymore; read the far superior manga (which is still on-going!).

Of the series OP mentioned, only FMP looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Don't listen to them two, Code Geass is awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I've never seen Wolf's Rain, but I'm told it's pretty good.

Also, the soundtrack was by Yoko Kanno. This is a good reason to watch anything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Full Metal Panic is great. In order, I'd watch

Code Geass R1
    Claymore
    Full Metal Panic
    Code Geass R2
    Wolf's Rain
    Tokko

All great series. Watching the entirety of Code Geass without a break is a bit too much for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I've never seen Wolf's Rain, but I'm told it's pretty good.

Also, the soundtrack was by Yoko Kanno. This is a good reason to watch anything.

It's been years since I've watched it, but I remember it being an ..OK.. show, certainly not the best thing that Bones have done. One unfortunate thing that stood out was the amount of time they devoted to recaps, episodes 15-18 are completely pointless recaps stuffed right in the middle of the series - I can see no other reason for them to be there other than to pad the series out to 30 episodes. In fact, anidb only lists it as a 26 episode show ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ChnGamer

Gonna give it till this weekend to fully decide, no one anime seems to have the overwhelming vote, was always gonna be the way! :rolleyes:

As for the mangas, i've never been much of reader, although i was seriously tempted to do so after watching Berserk series. Then i found out at the time there were over a hundred volumes, god knows what it is at now?

The cost is just way outside my budget. I know you can "acquire" them online but i have this weird hate of reading books/manga on my computer. Guess i'm gonna need to get past that to find out what happens to Guts, unless some legend has a massive collection of Berserk mangas ready to lend out. :D

Wish they would do some sort of anime library over here, remember seeing a few when i was in Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Hecate wrote: »
    It's been years since I've watched it, but I remember it being an ..OK.. show, certainly not the best thing that Bones have done. One unfortunate thing that stood out was the amount of time they devoted to recaps, episodes 15-18 are completely pointless recaps stuffed right in the middle of the series - I can see no other reason for them to be there other than to pad the series out to 30 episodes. In fact, anidb only lists it as a 26 episode show ;)
    The original series was only 26 episodes, but apparently their budget ran out; they had to resort to clip shows and couldn't finished the story, so a few months after they released four OVAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Faylum

ChnGamer wrote: »
    I'm finally setting aside time to catch up on anime that i've been missing out on. I've got a couple series at my disposal, which one do you think i should watch?

Code Geass
    Full Metal Panic
    Claymore
    Wolf's Rain
    Tokko

This will be the first bit of anime i've watched since i arrived in Dublin 5 months ago, so if i'm disappointed it will forever be printed in my mind that my first foray into anime in Ireland was terrible :D

Code Geass is brilliant, its not zomg-awesome but the ending will slay your heart. Claymore is visually amazing but very boring at times. Transformers although old skewl is so outdated it would ruin what you remember by watching it now. If you are interested in old skewl animation try:

Shadow Raiders
    Starship Troopers Animated series

Heres a link to the intro of SSTA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eAafpheKU

Most people who did watch this growing up will tell you that it was a brilliant series. However i am not sure if it gets classed as Anime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SeanOConnor

ChnGamer wrote: »

Code Geass
    Full Metal Panic
    Claymore
    Wolf's Rain
    Tokko

Code Geass and Claymore. Without a doubt.
    Code Geass in particular, very clever anime, looks fantastic and is just really enjoyable.
    Would only hit on Claymore if your into action really but I guess the same can be said for Code Geass... However, be warned. The ending to Claymore will make you rage... ALOT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ChnGamer

Taking a look at Code Geass right now. Watched a couple of episodes and feels a bit generic but i'm enjoying it :D Hope for some crazy battles sometime soon!

Advertisement