Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Biker nod dying off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

I only seem to get the nod as a reply these days, but while we are on it does anyone pop the front wheel any more. I have had more strange looks than anything else, was a time that if a bike on the other side seen you lift it was expected of you. maybe its the bikes, LC's DT's and Gama's couldn't help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I only nod at bikers not those on scooters or Bergmans (Sorry!). get a 90 to 95 % return on nods :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think this is more a symptom of the biker subculture and community diminishing than people not nodding. New people getting involved in biking, whether they know the ins-and-outs of the current practises or not, should be a good thing! New bikers should be welcomed and shown these practises, not ridiculed and resented for not inherintly knowing them.

You do realise you're saying they should be shown how to return a wave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

No1J wrote: »
    I only seem to get the nod as a reply these days, but while we are on it does anyone pop the front wheel any more. I have had more strange looks than anything else, was a time that if a bike on the other side seen you lift it was expected of you. maybe its the bikes, LC's DT's and Gama's couldn't help it.

only pop a wheelie for real on a dirtbike in a field usually, try to avoid ever doing it on the road.

I know that's boring but too much can go horribly wrong with traffic coming the other way in my crash shy opinion. youre right though, used to see it fairly regularly a couple of years back.

reckon some people have their traction control switched on permanently on newer bikes and it wont let them pop wheelies anyway.

know thats the case with bmw rr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You do realise you're saying they should be shown how to return a wave?

Its more than just a wave or a nod, its an acknowledgment of the biker sub-culture, which many people will only want to be part of if theyre welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

DiscoStu wrote: »
    Always do it out on national roads or a spin through the mountains. In Dublin city its a bit too chaotic to ignore the rest of the road food chain waiting for that opportune moment to kill you on the off chance of a nod in return.

Likewise when in the city and burbs I will nod but more interested in trying to figure out if the moron in the people carrier will stop at the red light or just think it's a suggestion and plough straight through the junction.
    No1J wrote: »

Yer talking about a few years ago with those bikes and (a) personally I would have but in my defence I was younger with less sense,
    now I'm older and have no sense at all but breakages heal a lot slower and hospitals are no longer somewhere to go for a possible romantic adventure and an invite to a good party :D (b) An awful lot more traffic on the roads kinda limits the opportunity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

RRaff wrote: »
    Living in Dublin now almost 3 years and no one seems to nod or wave except for this weekend at the IBS! Completely different in Cork (greatest city in Ireland) where everyone I cruise past gives or returns recognition.

I regularly go along the south link, through the Jack Lynch Tunnel into Tivoli and then Blackpool to get to work. When I start the 10:30AM shift, there's always this guy decked out in black on a cruiser who never nods, waves or anything back at me.

I tend to nod whenever I can or wave if I'm not going too fast. I know it's actually safer to wave at higher speeds (Ever take your hands slightly off the handle bars at high speed?).

Its more than just a wave or a nod, its an acknowledgment of the biker sub-culture, which many people will only want to be part of if theyre welcomed.
    I think you're reading to much into the ability to return a wave.
    I regularly go along the south link, through the Jack Lynch Tunnel into Tivoli and then Blackpool to get to work. When I start the 10:30AM shift, there's always this guy decked out in black on a cruiser who never nods, waves or anything back at me.

I tend to nod whenever I can or wave if I'm not going too fast. I know it's actually safer to wave at higher speeds (Ever take your hands slightly off the handle bars at high speed?).
    I always find harley riders to be the worst at returning waves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

amacca wrote: »
    reckon some people have their traction control switched on permanently on newer bikes and it wont let them pop wheelies anyway.

I've never rode a bike with traction control, so I can't comment.

But how would traction control stop a bike wheeling?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭emptyshed

Dublin city seems to be a no no for the nod, I'm guessin everyones too wrapped up in their own journey.
    The long spins into the countryside definitely get a better response.

Amazes me still how bikers will stop to comment on each others bikes etc.
    As a relative newbie, about 18 months on the road, still seems strange to have total strangers approach me to ask about the bike etc.

20 years of car driving ...including some very flashy motors, never got that reaction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think you're reading to much into the ability to return a wave.

I always find harley riders to be the worst at returning waves.

Hay! I nod at all bikes :)

I've found there's a varied attitude amongst Harley bikers. My thought are we're all on two wheels! So nod away.
    emptyshed wrote: »
    Dublin city seems to be a no no for the nod, I'm guessin everyones too wrapped up in their own journey.
    The long spins into the countryside definitely get a better response.

Amazes me still how bikers will stop to comment on each others bikes etc.
    As a relative newbie, about 18 months on the road, still seems strange to have total strangers approach me to ask about the bike etc.

20 years of car driving ...including some very flashy motors, never got that reaction!

I defo find in the more built up areas the nod does not happen.

I drive a van a wave or flash the lights at bike. I always get a nod/wave back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I nod at everyone except one tool on a Honda Steed who has blanked me every morning for five years - I suspect he's from Dublin and has a superiority complex. I got a big wave from a cop on an FJR last week and nearly fell off with fright. It works two ways - if you want bikers to stop when you break down or run out of juice - keep waving. Otherwise we all just become traffic.

'cptr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I love the young moped generation,who seem to feel the need to constantly rev their little 50cc fart mobiles every second that they sit at the light for.

helmet up on the head,no gloves on,tracksuit zip top on,and they think that they are all so cool.when in fact they are complete and utter tools.

Why do they do that and also with regards constanting revving??

And dont even try and say that its to keep the engine warm and keep it idling.Because that excuse is total bullsh!t.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In my day,my moped or any mopeds that I had allways idled perfectly well without the need for constant w^nking of the throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

paddy147 wrote: »
    I love the young moped generation,who seem to feel the need to constantly rev their little 50cc fart mobiles every second that they sit at the light for.

helmet up on the head,no gloves on,tracksuit zip top on,and they think that they are all so cool.when in fact they are complete and utter tools.

And dont even try and say that its to keep the engine warm and keep it idling.Because that excuse is total bullsh!t.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In my day,my moped or any mopeds that I had allways idled perfectly well without the need for constant w^nking of the throttle.

...and what does that have to do with the biker nod dying off then?:confused:

...and what does that have to do with the biker nod dying off then?:confused:

Because alot of them are completely ignorant and completely clueless too,and with regards general safety and also with regards to other bikers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

When I was an active pillion (not so at moment..but will change soon i hope!) the guy driving would wave and incline his head when overtaking be it car or bike as a thanks - and would greet other bikers by nodding, waving and, depending on situation, leg shake. As for me, at the moment, im in a car so if i do wave at a biker they look at me funny! hehe. Guess it depends on the bikers mood too - if they are having a bad day, in a rush etc, they won't particularly be looking at others to register your wave/nod etc.
    hopefully once i get my own bike etc and my skills/confidence is good, will return yer nods at least! :)

I love the young moped generation,who seem to feel the need to constantly rev their little 50cc fart mobiles
    LOL! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Because alot of them are completely ignorant and completely clueless too,and with regards general safety and also with regards to other bikers too.
    (I'm risking a ban for this, I know, but it has to be said)

paddy147 you're an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Jonybgud wrote: »

ATTACK THE POST NOT THE POSTER.

PERSONAL ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLLERATED.

WARNING ISSUED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

I've never rode a bike with traction control, so I can't comment.

But how would traction control stop a bike wheeling?.

By no means an expert so stand to be corrected by those more knowledgeable

but

as I understand it, traction control systems measure the speed of the front wheel and the back wheel via sensors

if you have good/perfect traction then both wheels should be rotating at the same rate (or a set ratio given their difference in size? )

if you pop a wheelie with traction control on then the front wheel will tend to slow down and the chip/ecu/whatever will reduce the power to the back wheel (you will actually feel the revs being reduced - with a good system its not supposed to be as intrusive and scary as it sounds - and it kicks in quick so its not as if you are up in the air and suddenly you go from 6-7k rpm back to two and get flipped etc)

This is good for not wasting power on launch (getting from the line as quickly as possible without front wheel lift) and getting out of corners quick without the front lifting as I understand it, this is not the only intended use for TC....if you are skidding around a corner then you are not laying down all of the available power efficiently and TC will reduce revs to stop the skid (within reason - if you're fully out of control youre out of control and TC wont save you ) and get you around quicker than if you were left to you're own devices supposedly.....for me it sort of takes the fun out of it.

as far as I know BMW s1000rr has it and the ducati 1198 and presume some of the new jap superbikes have it as well.

edit: just done some googling, apparently some TC systems measure lean angle as well and some have sensors specifically for detecting front wheel lift that are unrelated to rotation speed etc

• Advertisement

A couple of years ago Ducati's traction control in their motogp bike was linked to fork travel. If the front wheel was lifting and the forks extended to a certain point it would cut power.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

I always wave at other bikers and like many I'm disappointed me when I don't get one back. Always thought it's one of the nicer parts of biking, the camaraderie.

I couldn't wheelie a BMX'r, never mind a bike, traction control or not.

In addition, I always stop for bikes if they appear to be in trouble, even in my car.

Do I get a medal or something?

Jonybgud wrote: »

Actually Im not an idiot at all.

I started out on a mpoed,Ive been biking for 15 years now (current bike is a Ducati 996).

Some of the chaps that I grew up with had mopeds too and had this stupid mentality of revving up every second and not wearing the helmet propperly.Why was and is beyond me though???:confused:

I have had alot of different mopeds and bikes,yet I never felt the need to waer my helmet up on the top of my head,keep revving the throttle on my mopeds or bikes even when sitting at the lights and never went out on a moped with no gloves on and only a tracksuit zip up top on.

I didnt act like a complete tool on my moped and think I was cool because I had this mentality of........ "look at me everybody,I have a moped and it revs up alot and Im so cool that I dont even need to wear a helmet on my head propperly"

15 years on and still into my biking,I see all the young moped generatiion still doing this carry on,non helmet wearing,non glove wearing,constant revving carry on and mentality

They even do it to other bikers and bigger superbikes while at the traffic lights.

Are they trying to show off or prove a point to every other road user and maybe jealous of other bikers and bikes by doing this????:confused:

Because to me,all it shows is a total lack of road sense,general cop on and responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Hows it goin buddy,i drive a 50cc suzuki katana moped,and track suit zip top,are you expecting me to wear a full leather suit for my 2km drive each morning? We all start somewhere hopefully in a few years ill have a ducati 996 too but the moped is the best i can do right now so climb down of your high horse sportsbike.

Back on topic,i always nod and get a nod back,no matter if i pass a goldwing or a hayabusa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I have just noticed the sheer lack of head nodding to each other recently. Why dont bikers acknowledge other bikers anymore? Kind of sad really, as the biker subculture and mutual respect was/is pretty fantastic. So do you nod? if not, why?

No We just all had a meeting and decided we didn't like you, so we stopped nodding at ya :P:D

Tomebagel wrote: »
    Hows it goin buddy,i drive a 50cc suzuki katana moped,and track suit zip top,are you expecting me to wear a full leather suit for my 2km drive each morning? We all start somewhere hopefully in a few years ill have a ducati 996 too but the moped is the best i can do right now so climb down of your high horse sportsbike.

Back on topic,i always nod and get a nod back,no matter if i pass a goldwing or a hayabusa!

Good for you,that you have a moped,but YES,you could actually wear a propper bike jacket and a pair of bike gloves,as even a fall at 40-50kph can kill you or destroy your skin and body.

Its called common sense and awareness to bikes and road safety and your own safety too.

Oh and Im not on any high horse,as I too started off on a small Yamaha moped,but I never wore my crash helmet up on my head or wore a tracksuit zip top.

I at least made sure I wore a decent motorbike jacket and bike gloves whenever I used the moped and no matter how short or long a journey too..
    I also didnt feel the need to rev my moped at every single oppertunity too.

No need to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Good for you,that you have a moped,but YES,you could actually wear a propper bike jacket and a pair of bike gloves,as even a fall at 40-50kph can kill you or destroy your skin and body.

Its called common sense and awareness to bikes and road safety and your own safety too.

Oh and Im not on any high horse,as I too started off on a small Yamaha moped,but I never wore my crash helmet up on my head or wore a tracksuit zip top.

I at least made sure I wore a decent motorbike jacket and bike gloves whenever I used the moped and no matter how short or long a journey too..
    I also didnt feel the need to rev my moped at every single oppertunity too.

No need to do so.

Fair play to you and your huge generalisation,

i have a very good pair of gloves,wouldnt drive with out them,also makesure i have 2 or 3 good layers of clothin under the tracksuit top,

i kno atleast 10 others my own age who have mopeds and dont rev them unnecessarily or wear their helmets incorrectly nor have i seen anyone else for that matter doin either of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks 'amacca', traction control sounds terribly boring.. Wouldn't be bothered with it.

Tomebagel wrote: »
    i have 2 or 3 good layers of clothin under the tracksuit top,

Theres my point with regards safety.....and lack of it or thought about it.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

I always wave when outside Dublin city centre .....nod when in Dublin. I ride old bikes ,so I am not the fastest thing on the road ,I think its gas when i see a bunch of riders approaching ,and I wave .....first one ignores me ,second one might nod ....however the guy at the end will always wave .......I think its out of pity for the old saddo on the old bike who is trying to be a "bro"....try it.

And ,yes ,getting a real wave on a lonely road when one rider passes another going in the opposite direction is a real mood lifter.

Advertisement