Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Biker nod dying off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Tomebagel wrote: »
    Hows it goin buddy,i drive a 50cc suzuki katana moped,and track suit zip top,are you expecting me to wear a full leather suit for my 2km drive each morning? We all start somewhere hopefully in a few years ill have a ducati 996 too but the moped is the best i can do right now so climb down of your high horse sportsbike.

Back on topic,i always nod and get a nod back,no matter if i pass a goldwing or a hayabusa!

You don't have one of 2 options: one piece leathers or a tracksuit! There's hundreds of jackets out there. Seriously, a tracksuit on a moped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I always nod, and as has been said, feel a bit left down when you don't get one back.
    You definately get the nod more so outside of Dublin City.

That's not a slight on Dub or anything, but simply a practicality.
    There is such a higher percentage of bikes in Dublin City centre comparaively it's no as practicle to nod every time.
    I could drive around Limerick for an hour and pass a coupleof bikes.
    In Dublin I'd pass dozens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I always nod, and as has been said, feel a bit left down when you don't get one back.
    You definately get the nod more so outside of Dublin City.

That's not a slight on Dub or anything, but simply a practicality.
    There is such a higher percentage of bikes in Dublin City centre comparaively it's no as practicle to nod every time.
    I could drive around Limerick for an hour and pass a coupleof bikes.
    In Dublin I'd pass dozens!

I nod most of the time in Dublin, don't to the obvious courier bikes. Nothing worse than giving a nod and not getting one back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I always nod or "slight hand off the bar" wave if passing another bike..i'll also wave to drivers who pull over out of my way...its just nice..when i'm driving i'll pull over and ALWAYS get a wave or a left leg dangle..:D....
    Some guys are "too cool" to wave.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You don't have one of 2 options: one piece leathers or a tracksuit! There's hundreds of jackets out there. Seriously, a tracksuit on a moped?

What?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tomebagel wrote: »
    What?

Hes telling you that you dont have only 2 options like you refered to and seem to think yourself ............"Tracksuit or 1 piece leathers"

He is telling you that there are hundreads of propper bike jackets (even with built in back and body armour) out there that you can buy that dont cost a fortune either.

Its not that hard to read or understand what Paparazzo is saying to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Gaolcon

Noticed a guy coming towards me, near donnybrook, on a Big BMW he was wearing combats and dangling his leg. I thought he was just stretching his leg,
    i seriously didnt know he was saying hi. So if this biker is reading this post Hi back, as i didnt acknowledge.:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

While I don't share the same view regarding moped users being dicks, I was one and yes some are idiots but the vast majority are fine....

but....

Seriously, a tracksuit on a moped???? Really? You must never have had a fall off a bike! Even some basic gear would be better. Nothing against tracksuits just leave them off the moped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

What's the point getting onto your man for wearing a tracksuit on his moped. I'm sure he's old enough to make up his own mind what he wears. Its him that will regret it and not us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

seanybiker wrote: »
    What's the point getting onto your man for wearing a tracksuit on his moped. I'm sure he's old enough to make up his own mind what he wears. Its him that will regret it and not us.
    I guess it boils down to what this thread is originally about-camaraderie. Just regular guys giving friendly advice on safety but then again theres only so much advice you can give;)

• Advertisement

+1.......i'm sure if the traccy top had "Dainese" on it..that would be ok...

I wear a light jacket with no protection in the summer for short trips...maybe i should know better, but.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I'm a newbie and have only been riding 2 months. When I started out I was too busy concentrating on everything that I didn't notice any nods. Then when I did notice any I would get agitated making sure I didn't do anything stupid before nodding back and by that time the biker would have passed.

Since that initial weaning in period I've always saluted bikers, couriers and moped users. I haven't always gotten a salute back though. I still have a lot to learn and the odd time I wouldn't see a biker coming the other way until it was too late to nod back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yup, fair play to him..

I've a photo in this forum of me over taking a car on my back wheel, wearing jeans and trackie top :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

50 euro in Lidl or Aldi for a propper hip length black and yellow of black and red cordura,waterproof and body armoured bike jacket.

How much do you think your safety and your skin and bones are worth?????

Is 50 euro too much?

Each to his own..getting off topic now..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭rameire

i travel the same route every weekday.
    n78, m9, m7, n7, m50 south to junction 14.
    and the reverse in the evening.
    m50 north, n7, m7, m9, n78.

due to the times i ride this route I get to see alot of the same bikers.
    ive been doing the route for a few years and used to nod and foot wave alot when i started, but as time went on not that many bikers would nod back, so i have decreased the amount i acknowledge other bikers, until I saw this thread and I have started to acknowledge more bikers again.

I get a mixed response,
    when stopped at Newlands Cross, I will always nod or say hi if im stopped there and another biker pulls up, more than likely all will nod back.

on the journey though with bikes going the opposite direction at speed, by the time you notice a bike, its too late.

if a biker is going the same direction and I get passed I will wave the leg.

there are a couple of bikers though who will not acknowledge no matter how many times you try.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Yup, fair play to him..

I've a photo in this forum of me over taking a car on my back wheel, wearing jeans and trackie top :)
    Good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Sids Not wrote: »
    Each to his own..getting off topic now..;)

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

Getting back on topic.......if we wave and nod, it confuses the car drivers,it makes some of them think we all know each other.

• Advertisement

grumpybore wrote: »
    Getting back on topic.......if we wave and nod, it confuses the car drivers,it makes some of them think we all know each other.
    They probably think we are all bobble heads

grumpybore wrote: »

Dont we....?

When i'm out walking my dog. other people with dogs always say hello...its like we're in some sort of "club" when we're on our bikes..."or with dog")...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Sids Not wrote: »
    Dont we....?

When i'm out walking my dog. other people with dogs always say hello...its like we're in some sort of "club" when we're on our bikes..."or with dog")...:o

You should bring your dog along with you on the bike! Youd be the most popular guy in the village!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

You should bring your dog along with you on the bike! Youd be the most popular guy in the village!!

Somthing like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

My father does that. He does have a sidecar though.

Was driving to dublin in the cage yesterday and met a group of four bikes, waved out of habit and got four waves back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Let's all do a test. Next time your out give the first bike a wave and report back....

Well i'll start..today...boghall rd bray...two bikes..bandit (?) and a red blade together...i nodded...neither of them did....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

wicklow & sally gap yeaterday passed about 10 bike's,waved or nodded at them all,got 2 waves back,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Nod is live and well in Co Clare.

In Ennis doesn't matter if you are on a scooter or moped you always give the nod.

In Dublin I do the same even if I don't expect one back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i always wave; or nod if i'm pushing on
    i must say its very very unusual that i don't get a reply (can't thik of the last time)

mabey its the bike i ride a twin headlighted gixxer streetfighter cradle frame oiler and a mk1 tdm , again big heads and sit up and beg riding style

Advertisement