Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Biker nod dying off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Having a gas laugh at this the past few days, sticking my leg out at other bikes in Dublin. Blue SV650S, wave back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I think these days theres as many " commuters" as there are bikers....i'm sure a lot of them are confused by the nod...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well I picked up the new bike today and went on a five hour drive around Dublin.

Have to say 90% of my fellow bikers nodded or waved. No leg shake!

Mopeds being the only few that did not. Defo the more built up the area the less interaction there is.

I was a happy camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Not a single reply nod on my way to or from work yesterday. Saw 4 bikes on the way in (route from Tallaght, through Terenure, Milltown, Donnybrook and into Ballsbridge) and 7 on the way home and nodded at every one. Not sure if people are awake in the mornings to nod back and perhaps just want to get home in the evenings and are too tired to nod..... :p

I first experienced the nod when I bought my Pan European in the UK in 2007. Was riding it to Fishguard and was nodded by every biker coming from the opposite direction. Of course, I nodded back and carried on. Mentioned it to my step dad when I got back and he said it happened to him all the time (he has been biking for about 40 years). I had never seen this before but then again I had been scootering for 10 years at that stage and this was my first "real" bike. Scooter riders don't seem to nod at all for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Actually on the way Dublin I was in the van and nodded at a racer going back towards the north. He nodded back too!

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

New biker here and I did Drogheda - Navan - Trim and back (a silver fazer foxeye), and came across at least two dozen bikers and almost all of them waved or nodded. I just hope I reacted in time for them to see.. It was great to see a friendly node every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Out for a spin after brekkie this morning,met 2 bikes. Got a nod from a ninja and a cool wave from a cruiser. Its alive and well in KK :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Got a very enthusiastic leg out today from an oncoming bike which was still lent over coming out of a roundabout. Thought he was falling off for a sec.

I nodded back.

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Got a very enthusiastic leg out today from an oncoming bike which was still lent over coming out of a roundabout. Thought he was falling off for a sec.

I nodded back.

Maybe it was Rossi................:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Went for a spin out to Tramore today and saw three bikes, i nodded or waved to all, and got two nods back. I guess 2 out of 3 isnt bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i got a convoy of leg showers yesterday on me way out to tramore aswell;,,pillions n all hanging the leg out lol brilliant to see haha,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Im at about 50%. Dont come across too many during the week as it an M50 commute. Gets a bit better at the weekends though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

i gave 10 waves today, only got one back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

i gave 10 waves today, only got one back...

Harley rider ??

Harley rider ??

Nope I ride a yamaha yzf hence why i find it strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Don't know about the head nod dying off,but I get a great kick out of those riders who say thanks by sticking out their left leg as they pass me out.

Mostly easy riders that do this as opposed to racers:confused:

I could only imagine there's more weight on the racers' legs that they don't use them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was passing someone on their left yesterday on the m50 and gave the leg wave :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

As a broad sweeping generalisation I don't bother with a wave/nod within roughly a 30 mile radius of Dublin. Most of the bikes I see are commuting same as me, and I see them around at various times. That said, a party of tourists on bikes or the like will always get a wave/nod wherever.

I go out of my way to wave/nod to learners or newbies too, just because I'm so glad to have a license for 20 odd years when I see what they have to go through to get on the road now. They need all the encouragement they can get.

I'd always acknowledge a nod/wave, although I don't understand why some people get so worked up about it, but each to their own I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

staker wrote: »
    Mostly easy riders that do this as opposed to racers:confused:

I could only imagine there's more weight on the racers' legs that they don't use them...

Yea I can't really do the leg wave thing, legs are too cramped folded up underneath me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

Somthing like this?

I have been out on my sidecar ,with my 2 sons and our Jack Russell .....you get plenty of waves , plus a lot of sympathetic looks ,as if to say "oh that poor family ,reduced to that" .......but the one common reaction is one of broad smiles all round.

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Yea I can't really do the leg wave thing, legs are too cramped folded up underneath me.

Its a good excuse to stretch them....keeps the blood flowing..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

i'd love a side hack to bring out the mot and the dog. thats a class picture.

Stopped at the lights at The Goat Grill in the car...courier pulls up just in front of me..i was admiring the bald tyre and the way his chain was so slack that it was just touching the center stand..:rolleyes:....gixxer 600 pulls along side and gives him a nod..courier turns away ..no nod....what a knob....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

One of the reasons why it seems to be in decline maybe???? People get pissed off by not having a simple gesture returned and say to themselves "Why bother"?
    Personally,when i nod or wave,I dont do it with the expectation of getting one in return,but its a bonus if I do:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

KamiKazi wrote: »

What do you do at the lights just keel over? :)
    One of the reasons why it seems to be in decline maybe???? People get pissed off by not having a simple gesture returned and say to themselves "Why bother"?
    Personally,when i nod or wave,I dont do it with the expectation of getting one in return,but its a bonus if I do:D

+1

Did anyone ever receive a nod from a Garda Biker? I waved to two of them and no reciprocation sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Yeah, most recently about two hours ago!

Don't always get a nod from them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Did anyone ever receive a nod from a Garda Biker? I waved to two of them and no reciprocation sadly

I got a nod off one Garda biker as I passed him writing a ticket for some chap in a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Got a few nods from bike cops. One fella was goin along on a scooter one day busting his bollox laughing. Had to bip and nod at him. He nearly fell off the yoke laughing and waving back at me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Antiquo wrote: »
    What do you do at the lights just keel over? :)

I put it straight down, not out waving around :p

Advertisement