Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Biker nod dying off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The nod is most definitely alive and well in the UK. There are some nice roads near where I live and the town I live in sees a lot of bike traffic.

I tend to nod to every bike and get a lot of responses, even BMW riders, though as I am on one that particular result might be skewed. I do fine that Harley riders tend to be least likely to respond.

UK bike cops tend to return a nod or wave, as have any gardai I have met whilst back in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Out yesterday,most nods were returned but some guys are just"too cool" to nod or wave back.Am i bovvered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just a week ago I was riding in the Alps in 25deg C weather, and my left hand was worn out from the biker wave (as distinct from nod).

Not nearly as popular here as used to be :(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MrPudding wrote: »
    ... I do fine that Harley riders tend to be least likely to respond..

Yeah curious that - I noticed that in Germany too: about whilst most people on anything (incl H-D) wave etc, what stuck in my mind were that the only two of note that did not........were on H-D.

Most odd. I ride my H-D most days, and I'll wave at anyone - scooter's included :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

I usually nod but if i did it to every bike whilst commuting in dublin i'd look as if i had a twitch.... But i have to admit it's not as common for people to return the nod whilst commuting. On the open road I suppose everyone hasda little more time and thay usually return the nod/wave.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Was out yesterday and I got my 1st leg wave, very funny looking.

Plenty of nods and waves. On Saturday there was a bunch of trikes, no nod or anything from them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

Yup folks seem more gracious when the weather's good. 5/5 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I tried giving everyone I saw on a bike 'the nod' for the last week and had zero returned. I'm guessing it's because they're not bikers, but communters. I certainly don't see myself as a biker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Heve'nt been out riding since I had my bike nicked, so its been a while, bur always used to give the nod or a wave, have a Biker Friendly sticker on the cage though and managed to stop a lad on a bandit having a propper tank slapper a few weeks back when the road was greasy, lent him my car roof to place a steadying hand to stop the speed wobble...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Driving home on the N11 on friday , passing a truck in the outside lane, just as i drew level i copped a biker stopped in the hard shoulder...too late to pull in and i'd have to drive about 5k to get back to him...felt a bit shyt tbh...i always stop for bikes if i can...no matter, out past Bray he appears ,filtering , i give him loads of room..he acknowledges with a lazy-leg.....felt better then...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yup folks seem more gracious when the weather's good. 5/5 :P

big time. Driving home from work on Friday and the weather was great, got 2 commuter biker waves! Everyone is happy on a friday when the weather is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Greout today :)

Lots of nos about, howth is esp busy and sunny :)at to see so many bobbleheads

Sorry for the mess above. The mobile text messed up for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Nice spin this morning...plenty of bikes..but not many noddy's.....:(...i gave up after a while....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

most bikers give the nod over here in the UK.

Had one guy today give a full on hand in the air wave. was hilarious looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd plenty of nods today, everyone seemed to be really enjoying the weather. Stay safe all!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sucha beautiful day, I really wanted to be out on the bike! I was down in Dun Laoghaire with the other half and about 10 bikes came screaming down the coast road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Ive always looked at nodders and wavers and just thought to myself - "idiots". Whats the point. They dont even know me and I dont know them.
    I only wave or not to people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Today was a fantastic day in Cork. I saw about a dozen or five bikers on the way into work. Had to miss the mass ride today and waste the day away in work. What a waste.

=\

Howth was packed full of biker's.. And I shouldn't really mention this, but The Summit was serving the best Bud ICE ever today - or so a few thirsty bikers told me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

i always give the nod when im on the bike and feel its safe to do so, when im up by laragh on the weekends its not always easy to give aa nod when your trying to take a corner and granny in front is figuring out which peddle is the go one and which is the stop. All in all i get plenty of nods back but dont think anything of it if i dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Zascar wrote: »
    Sucha beautiful day, I really wanted to be out on the bike! I was down in Dun Laoghaire with the other half and about 10 bikes came screaming down the coast road.

Jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Ive always looked at nodders and wavers and just thought to myself - "idiots". Whats the point. They dont even know me and I dont know them.

when you break down and i stop to help please send me away .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

evereybody was waving on the n17 today
    we did cross-sligo-cross twice

great road on the right day

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ive always looked at nodders and wavers and just thought to myself - "idiots".

That's what I think about people who don't nod. However I have a slightly different word.

God damn those people trying to be nice and be friendly to you. The motorbiking community is one that extends far more than sharing the same number of wheels on the road, if they see you in trouble at the side of the road, they stop and help.

Even if you're not a fan of the nod, it's hardly a reason to consider people idiots, they aren't nodding because they claim to (or indeed want to...) know you, it's more about solidarity.

God help you when you're down the country and every second vehicle contains a driver giving you his index finger.

No, of course, we should only salute people we know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I nod but more usually I give a quick wave with the left hand :)

We're a small community, a bit of comradeship goes a long way.

When I was on the scooter nobody nodded at me, feckin snobs :p
    I had a A licence and all but just used the scooter as a run around. Was like I was invisible

A few years back when I was on www.biker.ie I bought a few stickers from one of the mods and put them on the Varadero
    A couple of times I'd be stopped at lights and bikers would shake my hand and ask my username. Now that's nice :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I nod but more usually I give a quick wave with the left hand :)

We're a small community, a bit of comradeship goes a long way.

When I was on the scooter nobody nodded at me, feckin snobs :p
    I had a A licence and all but just used the scooter as a run around. Was like I was invisible

A few years back when I was on www.biker.ie I bought a few stickers from one of the mods and put them on the Varadero
    A couple of times I'd be stopped at lights and bikers would shake my hand and ask my username. Now that's nice :)

Biker.ie is a great community if I may say so here. When I've had problems there's always been people offering to bring me to/from the garage. It really is a good community and nobody is after any reward.

Passed about a hundred bikes today and pretty much all of them waved,nodded or stuck a leg out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was over in France last year and every biker gives a huge wave over there. They'd wave from across 6 lanes of traffic.

Bloody idiots didn't even know I couldn't speak their language and where being friendly to me

Felt a little bad on some of the pay roads as I was moving a bit too fast too safely wave back. Everywhere else I waved.

Lovely day out yesterday and my head was a nodding or leg waving all day.:D

Advertisement