Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Biker nod dying off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

A couple of raised fingers if I'm driving or a nod if I'm not and stopped in traffic. I was trying to find out where the whole thing comes from this morning but to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

ieoinu wrote: »
    I don't know how many times I've seen a biker come towards me with the head nodded, hand up and leg out only to hit the next bend like a tangent to a circle.

As soon as I read this, I imagined this...

Crash.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Tigger wrote: »
    I'm going to guess BMW

Not fair:mad: I drive a beemer and always nod.
    Mind you it does tend to spill my double latte:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What is the deal with the stigma attached to BMW drivers exactly? I've never notidced it myself really but a good mate of mine did a 6 week tour of France, Switzerland and Spain, and said it was only the BMW riders who did not wave. All the others did a big signal like normal, or would come and chat to you at petrol stations etc - but it was uncanny how BMW drivers almost uniquely would pretty much never wave back.

(OT) Pataman, I clicked the link in your sig and I have actually stayed in those cottages before :) I go to Terriglass ever year, fantastic spot! I've never take the bike down but some lovely roads around the lakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was pulled in a while ago cos the guy I was with wanted a smoke and someone in a van pulled up to see if we were ok.
    My da was out of petrol a couple of years ago and 2 youngfellas pulled up in a car, found out what was wrong and came back with petrol a few minutes later.
    You will get car drivers that helpful too.
    I reckon I stopped for about 10 bikes over the years but was never needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Zascar wrote: »
    What is the deal with the stigma attached to BMW drivers exactly?

Dunno. I think it's because they have the money to be able to afford a "beeeemer" that they're above everyone else, it's a status thing.

What is the deal with the stigma attached to BMW drivers exactly? I've never notidced it myself really but a good mate of mine did a 6 week tour of France, Switzerland and Spain, and said it was only the BMW riders who did not wave. All the others did a big signal like normal, or would come and chat to you at petrol stations etc - but it was uncanny how BMW drivers almost uniquely would pretty much never wave back.

(OT) Pataman, I clicked the link in your sig and I have actually stayed in those cottages before :) I go to Terriglass ever year, fantastic spot! I've never take the bike down but some lovely roads around the lakes!

I drive a BMW. Basically, we're above scum on their japanese bikes or american harley shítheaps. I actually look the other way when something like a Honda goes by, don't even want to make eye contact with "commoners".
    That's why beemers have weird headlights, so we can spot who to wave at easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    As soon as I read this, I imagined this...

Crash.jpg

Yeah, there he was trying to fist pump his way past the lads and whoops went the bike lol!
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    I was pulled in a while ago cos the guy I was with wanted a smoke and someone in a van pulled up to see if we were ok.
    My da was out of petrol a couple of years ago and 2 youngfellas pulled up in a car, found out what was wrong and came back with petrol a few minutes later.
    You will get car drivers that helpful too.
    I reckon I stopped for about 10 bikes over the years but was never needed

Once a car driver has stopped for me and he was actually a biker too and that was when I crashed my CB a few weeks ago. Went into a tank slapper after hitting cow **** on the road and the car behind me pulled in and went to help me but was met with roars of "pick up the bike!! pick up the bike!!" lol as I was grand, just a bit sore. This was in the middle of heavy evening traffic.

I have found myself stranded at the side of the road three times and not once did a car driver pull in to see if I was okay. One of these times the engine in my bike had basically blown up and I was clearly very distressed and nobody pulled in, no bikes passed.

I have no real issue with BMW riders, know a few and they're grand. I find more of a cruiser v sportsbike mentality when it comes to the nod. Very rarely I'll get a nod back from a cruiser rider but sure makes no odds to me, doesn't keep me up at night like some lol :p

As well as cars not being very forthcoming to stop for me, anytime I've stopped for a car pulled in I always get treated extremely rudely.

I was driving home quite late one night, think it was around November/December last year and saw this old guy pulled in just before a roundabout and he had the little red triangle thing out on the road so I knew he was broken down, I went around the roundabout and came back around to him. Pulled in a bit away from him and took the helmet off so I wouldn't give him a fright and asked him if he was okay, if he needed me to ring anyone for him (at his age, you wouldn't be sure if he'd have a mobile) and he said his son was coming for him, I asked him if he wanted me to wait with him or if there was anything he needed and he got really agitated and aggressive and I ended up just walking away.

Was on my way to work one morning and there was a car stopped on the road, pulled in just ahead of it and walked back to the driver and asked if he was okay, his response was "sure what the eff can you do anyway, eff off". Eh, okay then, you're welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

When I had battery troubles, my bike turned itself off somewhere on the Slane road, luckily in front of a pub, so there was some space on the side of the road, where as rest of the road is very narrow with no room to push a bike, let alone walk.

As I sat there outside the pub, trying to get thru to my wife before the mobile ran out of battery, a middle aged man came out of the pub car park in his car, asked if I was okay, I told him bike wouldn't start, and he looks at me for a few seconds and says 'you are fecked so' and drives off. Such a fecking charmer!

PS: After many attempts, I managed to push start the bike, rode home safely.

• Advertisement

I have no real issue with BMW riders, know a few and they're grand. I find more of a cruiser v sportsbike mentality when it comes to the nod. Very rarely I'll get a nod back from a cruiser rider but sure makes no odds to me, doesn't keep me up at night like some lol :p
    Wonder if that's what it is. People on certain style bikes don't wave at different style bikes? I drive a GS, usually with panniers and top box. I reckon the worst people for getting a wave from by a long way is Harley drivers. Sometimes I go by a group of about 20 or 30 of them and don't get a return wave of any of them. I reckon I get a wave from about 1 in 4 harleys when they're on their own or in small groups. Sports bikes is the next worse (although not nearly as bad). I almost always get a wave from other tourers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Im not sure its one biker group not waving to another biker group.

Its just the personality of the person riding the bike who doesn't want to wave. Different personalities choose different bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So basically you nod/wink/wag/wave whatever to be cool to any passing bi-wheeled brethren, but if they don't reciprocate, you feel you're a twat!

The only time I felt like a twat on a bike is when I stupidly drop it, though technically I'm not a twat on a bike I'm a twat beside a bike.

TBH most time I don't even notice if the other rider has acknowledged my signal, as I'm too busy trying to avoid crashing into the ditch:D

A lad in a near by village used to drive a Busa and drive in out of season which was unheard of when I lived in Germany. I never really got a wave apart from when I was out tearing up back roads and came across this guy. Maybe because he thought he came across a kindred spirit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KTRIC wrote: »
    They're just sizing your bike up so they can rob it for parts !! :D

Probably not worth robbing at this stage. I use to carry three locks at one time, now its down to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

What is the deal with the stigma attached to BMW drivers exactly? !

Its just because they cant afford Ducati's...so they ride around with this face..:(..on..........................:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My Ducati was actually considerably cheaper than some of the other bikes I was looking at like CBR600's and GSXR's etc. I'd actually love an F800GS but they are huge money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

( and to be honest if the gesture is not returned you feel like a complete idiot)

If the gesture isn't returned I feel like the other rider is a complete idiot. Or words to that effect, words that sound similar to cobby snunt!

I met a good few bikes on the N18 today, I nodded to all of them as I always do and most of them nodded back. There were one or two cobby snunts but hey, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I will however keep nodding to other bikes I meet on my journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've recently bought a very distinctive looking lid and have been getting a few more nods on my commute since.. I was thinking either the helmet looks cool, or I look like a total bell end :eek:

I had a HD Street Bob for the morning and I got no nods from anyone apart from a lad on another HD that looked like he was broken down :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

KTRIC wrote: »
    I had a HD Street Bob for the morning and I got no nods from anyone apart from a lad on another HD that looked like he was broken down :rolleyes: :D

What was it like going from the gsx to that?

What was it like going from the gsx to that?

Different to say the least, the GSX is more refined and has power all the way through the range whereas the HD is old school and you have to work it, you get back what you put in. Both great bikes in their own right, not really compatible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Boabiegringo

Always do a wave that's prob similar to a small Heil Hitler salute... only just realised that was my style until i thought about it after reading the thread.. might keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Blondie919 wrote: »
    If the gesture isn't returned I feel like the other rider is a complete idiot. Or words to that effect, words that sound similar to cobby snunt!

I met a good few bikes on the N18 today, I nodded to all of them as I always do and most of them nodded back. There were one or two cobby snunts but hey, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I will however keep nodding to other bikes I meet on my journeys.

Out and about today on the bike, I thought most people didnt do the nod/wave out on a commute in dublin, I just got around the corner, first bike I passed nodded, not sure if he saw my reply as i was late getting back to him/wasn't sure he'd nod anyway?, I just tilt the head to the left a bit and back?? he probably thinks Im an ignorant cnut.
    Always do a wave that's prob similar to a small Heil Hitler salute... only just realised that was my style until i thought about it after reading the thread.. might keep it.

I dont take my hands off, not that I dont take my hands off the bars at all, just doing a right handed salute means taking it off the throttle, kicking the leg out seems more for long journeys? I just tilt my head and back
    I read a book that had some stuff about waves, but cant find what it was called now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

This topic have never been discussed before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

? the thread is still open so, assume its on ongoing thing and is staying open, rather than a load of seperate threads being opened about the same thing, and then having to be merged??
    Seems like the kind of thing (in particular new bikers?) people will keep coming back to and querying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Riding to work early this morning through Rathmines & jokingly saluted 6 military riders in passing...

I was pleasantly surprised when in unison they all saluted me back, put a big smile on my face :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

mongdesade wrote: »
    Riding to work early this morning through Rathmines & jokingly saluted 6 military riders in passing...

I was pleasantly surprised when in unison they all saluted me back, put a big smile on my face :D

I'd say that was funny to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I'd say it has been discussed since pre biblical times. Horse riders wave at other horse riders but not donkeys, them genet fecker wave at everybody and camel riders just get the hump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

On the road a few months now, not one nod or anything... fail :(

Advertisement