Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sw claim form looking for birth surname

Options
  • 06-03-2011 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I had to help my son fill out a claim for for disability.It askes for the name as it appears on your birth cert.I rang up and enquired , expained the situation adn I was told that he will need his ORIGINAL birthcert.WHF,How on earth would he need that.He has his adoption one.Surely thats enough.
    Is this correct.Im just going to send in the adoption one and if they ask for a original one, wellIll just say we dont have one and cant get one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Send in the birthcert that you have with a letter explaining that he is adopted. As far as I know you cannot get the original one.... my friend who is adopted could not get an original.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

that has to be wrong, the name on your sons orignal birthcert will be completly different.
    when an adoption goes through the piece of paper that we all have for a birthcert, the entry into the adoption register becomes legal.
    i would check that again i have had no problem with mine, have got passports social welfare etc.
    if you have any more problems tell them to get on to the adoption board.
    some people ar so ignorant....kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just send the adoption cert in, and put his birth surname as what is on the adoption cert, they wont ask for anymore after they have seen it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I always write adopted when I am asked for birth surname but they always ask do I want to put adopted parents details in as they are equally acceptable.
    The long form birth certificate is replaced by the entry in to the adoption registry certificate for anything that requires a birth cert.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got annoyed at one stage- and put unknown down on a form (illness benefit). It wasn't queried at all....... To be perfectly honest- I genuinely don't think that they even look at that part of the form........ If there was an investigation for one reason or another (most likely a presumed case of identity fraud)- it might be used as a 'check' now that we have the birth/marriages/deaths fully queriable (is that a word?) by database........

I wouldn't worry what you put down to be honest.

Some schools insist on the long form birthcert for registration (and/or other purposes). I, along with 3 other adopted kids in my class in primary school- almost got banned from school trips because we couldn't supply one....... Perhaps we're in a slightly more enlightened time nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

The adoption cert should be fine as I just sent in an adoption cert with my sw claim and nothing was said

Advertisement