Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Apple TV or not to Apple TV?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

my other repo is back working again. must have been a temp glitch unrelated to the new one (i hope)

the new repo contains two scripts, one for irish tv and the other which just seems to be a carbon copy of "the repo we cant name"

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Looks like Netflix is coming to Ireland in January, this alone makes Apple TV a lot more attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

adox wrote: »
    Guess I`ll give it a miss then. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig though.:(

yeah, it freezes when refreshing the source, and most certainly doesn't conflict with other repos.

It contains an alternative script for accessing you know what, I keep it up to date more than the you know what repo does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

kjl wrote: »
    yeah, it freezes when refreshing the source, and most certainly doesn't conflict with other repos.

It contains an alternative script for accessing you know what, I keep it up to date more than the you know what repo does.

Ah lads, come on. You're clearly breaking the rules here. Cut it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

Just got myself an Apple TV over the weekend. Got it set up today and noticed that its running 4.3. When I I click on software update it doesnt find 4.4, so how do I get it to find the latest iOS 5 update?

Also, my menu shows Movies then Internet. Thought it would have shown me Movies, Music and then Internet?

AirPlay seems to work alright, but not from VLC, so may have to find an alternate app for playing non iTunes video content.

I have a US iTunes account, so I wonder would I be better off using that instead of my Irish one.

Edit: 4.4 update may not be available I found out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

jaytobe wrote: »
    Is googletv gong to give more options?

What about mac mini, more expensive but faster?

http://www.apple.com/ie/macmini/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Absolute disaster

My jailbroken ATV2 got a common bug where it freezes on logo

So that means you need to update, so restored to factory settings which then in all its genius, Itunes put the msot recent IOS on

This cannot run XBMX yet and now I've got a little box of ****ing rubbish, really annoyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

TheDoc wrote: »
    Absolute disaster

My jailbroken ATV2 got a common bug where it freezes on logo

So that means you need to update, so restored to factory settings which then in all its genius, Itunes put the msot recent IOS on

This cannot run XBMX yet and now I've got a little box of ****ing rubbish, really annoyed

Now you have to splash $19.95 and get the aTV flash black, the player is not hat bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

actually use latest seas0npass , nightly builds of XBMC supported now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

PS3
    PC or Mac with PS3 Media Server
    Usenet Account
    sabnzbd+
    sickbeard
    Profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

rai555 wrote: »
    actually use latest seas0npass , nightly builds of XBMC supported now

Also read into how to put previous ipsw onto the ATV2, so I can just rollback to the previous version and I'm sorted ;)

Will try nightlybuilds though over the weekend

I've also got a similar setup to the last poster

Old laptop pulling TV Shows through sickbeard downloading with SABNZBD, storing on my NAS box, to be streamed to my Apple Tv, its an amazing setup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Another prospective Apple TV buyer here with a question. I was looking at a couple of HD trailers on my iMac and they don't look HD. I have a Samsung HD TV but if they aren't coming across as HD on the mac, will they be HD through Apple TV on the telly screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I got ATV2 for xmas, great so far! I have set up a US Itunes account for the TV shows. Currently my ATV2 is logged in under my Irish Itunes account. Am I better off logging the ATV2 under the US account?

So far i have only bought stuff from the US account on my laptop and streamed to the ATV2 under my Irish account.

I am also getting the US gift cards from Walmart which provides email delivery, so 50 USD gift card costs me roughly 39 EUR. Is it possible to add an Irish credit card to US account or is it gift cards all the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Another prospective Apple TV buyer here with a question. I was looking at a couple of HD trailers on my iMac and they don't look HD. I have a Samsung HD TV but if they aren't coming across as HD on the mac, will they be HD through Apple TV on the telly screen?

Apple TV will handle up to 720P.

I got ATV2 for xmas, great so far! I have set up a US Itunes account for the TV shows. Currently my ATV2 is logged in under my Irish Itunes account. Am I better off logging the ATV2 under the US account?

So far i have only bought stuff from the US account on my laptop and streamed to the ATV2 under my Irish account.

I am also getting the US gift cards from Walmart which provides email delivery, so 50 USD gift card costs me roughly 39 EUR. Is it possible to add an Irish credit card to US account or is it gift cards all the way?

If you log in to your US account on ATV2 you can stream any rentals from the US store you purchase directly on the ATV2 without downloading them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Apple TV will handle up to 720P.

Sorry for being an ass but is 720p HD standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

If you log in to your US account on ATV2 you can stream any rentals from the US store you purchase directly on the ATV2 without downloading them.

Thanks this is actually more ideal as I dont wish to keep them on laptop!! I think il log into US and leave it there.

Do you know if its possible to use Irish credit card or am I stuck with the gift card solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

I have just bought an Apple TV and am having problems jailbreaking, if anyone can help!?

Basically, whilst trying to jailbreak with seas0npass, I keep getting error 1600/1601 to say the apple tv could not be restored correctly.

Can anyone help?

I have just bought an Apple TV and am having problems jailbreaking, if anyone can help!?

Basically, whilst trying to jailbreak with seas0npass, I keep getting error 1600/1601 to say the apple tv could not be restored correctly.

Can anyone help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

Daraflats wrote: »

Can anyone help?

1600 errors means its not going into dfu mode properly i get it the odd time but just keep at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

massy086 wrote: »
    1600 errors means its not going into dfu mode properly i get it the odd time but just keep at it

every guide I've seen has said not to have it plugged into the mains when attempting DFU, but i found the only way for it to work was to have it plugged in.

YMMV.

Kept at it and it eventually worked, thanks!

Having problems installing xbmc now... uuugggh

Daraflats wrote: »
    Kept at it and it eventually worked, thanks!

Having problems installing xbmc now... uuugggh

have you installed nito tv

have you installed nito tv

Not yet?

once you install nito tv just install xbmc from it

once you install nito tv just install xbmc from it

Great, thanks for the help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can someone please explain the purpose of Apple Tv?

Apple TV is for getting Netflix, itunes etc on to your tv, so surely plugging your laptop into your tv is the same thing, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭emick

kraggy wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the purpose of Apple Tv?

Apple TV is for getting Netflix, itunes etc on to your tv, so surely plugging your laptop into your tv is the same thing, no?

The Apple TV once connected sits under the TV and you will not have to go to the hassle of connecting and disconnecting your laptop everytime you want to watch a movie or browse through youtube. The interface on Apple TV is excellent and browsing through the movie catalog and purchasing a movie to rent or buy is simple and straight forward and takes seconds. The interface to Youtube is also excellent and Youtube upscales to the TV in excellent quality. I have the Apple TV One with the built in hard drive and streaming is never a problem. It's built for purpose and it's always available to watch when you want without having to go to the hassle of connecting up a laptop.

Also jailbreak you ATV and you can stream pretty much any media to it. Install XBMC or Plex(or both) and have a fantastic interface that will scrape sites and produce artwork and info for your films, tv shows music etc.

Also there are plugins available for XBMC that allow online streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

emick wrote: »
    The Apple TV once connected sits under the TV and you will not have to go to the hassle of connecting and disconnecting your laptop everytime you want to watch a movie or browse through youtube. The interface on Apple TV is excellent and browsing through the movie catalog and purchasing a movie to rent or buy is simple and straight forward and takes seconds. The interface to Youtube is also excellent and Youtube upscales to the TV in excellent quality. I have the Apple TV One with the built in hard drive and streaming is never a problem. It's built for purpose and it's always available to watch when you want without having to go to the hassle of connecting up a laptop.

But how does the apple tv connect to the internet? Does it have to be connected via a pc/laptop or can you browse websites with the apple tv itself? As in, when you turn on the apple tv, what do you see on the hdtv screen? A browser of some sort?

Sorry, just find it hard to grasp for some reason.

Second question, what do you call the set up whereby you can play the music on your iphone/ipod touch on an apple monitor? i.e scroll down the screen of your iphone, select a song physically away from your apple monitor but it plays on the monitor. Is that airplay?

Advertisement