Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Apple TV or not to Apple TV?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

soundsham wrote: »
    Do most of you guys use the in box remote or have you bought any from the app store for use with iPhone
    Just wondering as I find the standard remote on iPhone isn't great when streaming to my atv for movies

Use an app on the iPhone 4S.
    Handy for entering text for search etc.
    No complaints so far, used it for you tube and netflix (netflix content isn't great)
    Streamed tunes movies and photos from iTunes
    Great piece of kit

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anybody know how to set up sub folders in your movies section on ATV.
    Wrecking my head trying too. Have tried alot of things ive found on web. Is it just a matter of changing a title in iTunes on file properties

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Hi,

After jail breaking my iPhones and iPads for the last number of years I took the plunge and got an ATV2. I have jail broken it and have installed XBMC on it. However, I have a few questions.

1) I have no library option under videos in XBMC. How do i set up my library?
    2) I need to use library to set up Playon TV add-on to it. Will i be able to watch ESPN and ESPN3 free on it?
    3) when i try to play espn on it will it recognize I'm not in the US? If so is there anyway of playing it through a proxy server through the ATV2.

ANy helps or links to guides would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mixednuts wrote: »
    I watch all my saved movies etc on my Buffalo linkstation pro 2 via XBMC on my atv2.

UPC (Boston scientific modem) -->netgear wireless router---> atv2 (wired)
    OK , I've now tried connecting UPC to PlugLink Ethernet Adapter - PlugLink Ethernet Adapters to ATV and still get homeshare dropping off:(:(:mad:.

I'm lost as to where to go next .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi,

After jail breaking my iPhones and iPads for the last number of years I took the plunge and got an ATV2. I have jail broken it and have installed XBMC on it. However, I have a few questions.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Category:How-to
    2) I need to use library to set up Playon TV add-on to it. Will i be able to watch ESPN and ESPN3 free on it?
    Depending on the video add on you may or may not get ESPN,Navi-X is a good addon for TV and sport content
    3) when i try to play espn on it will it recognize I'm not in the US? If so is there anyway of playing it through a proxy server through the ATV2.
    There is also ESPN uk

Thanks

Rgds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Hi,

Thanks
    Well, after jailbreak, you can add additional functionality by installing XBMC, Plex, and Nitro TV, and enjoy it on the go.
    if you like live sports, stream movies, Live ESPN3, Amazon VOD and Hulu are for u.
    For more tip turn to this wiki: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/AppleTV_2

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I got Nito and XBMC installed handily enough and have many channels. I checked out Flashsportstreams and got many sports channels including ESPN. Still trying to find ESPN3 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Hi

Due to get Apple TV in the next week or so as a birthday present, just wondering what lead do i need for it? Is it mini HDMI to a normal HDMI lead?
    Want to get the lead sorted before i get it so i can use it asap.

Also what lead is used for jailbreaking it?

Im not entirely sure if its ATV2 or ATV3 that im getting, there isnt a jailbreak for the 3 yet, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

barryd09 wrote: »
    Hi

Due to get Apple TV in the next week or so as a birthday present, just wondering what lead do i need for it? Is it mini HDMI to a normal HDMI lead?
    Want to get the lead sorted before i get it so i can use it asap.

Also what lead is used for jailbreaking it?

Im not entirely sure if its ATV2 or ATV3 that im getting, there isnt a jailbreak for the 3 yet, is there?

No jailbreak for the 3 yet and if it's a 2 seas0npass is excellent.
    It's a standard hdmi cable and it's a cable that's USB one end and a small external hard drive type connection the other, can't recall if that comes with it though.

jarvis wrote: »
    It's a standard hdmi cable and it's a cable that's USB one end and a small external hard drive type connection the other, can't recall if that comes with it though.

Sorry now but is that lead you describe for just jailbreaking or do i need a different one for just general viewing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Sorry now but is that lead you describe for just jailbreaking or do i need a different one for just general viewing?

Just for jailbreaking. You only need the hdmi and the power lead for every day use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

standard hdmi-hdmi for viewing, usb-micro usb for jailbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Pleased with my atv2 with one small irritant. Video is ahead of audio by a couple of seconds using xbmc or through the browser, but perfect with netflix. My broadband is routinely 8mbps, and I'm using a belkin router. Help?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Jaysis folks, all the talk of jail breaking has me jealous .. I can't even get to a full movie on the stooped thing.

Gotnin on Sat, supposed to have a 25mg with UPC,rented a movie on Saturday .. It started with the 2 housprs to download, after bout 10 mins itnwas about 1/5th through and it started streaming but froze after 25 mins, we went to bed but we never got ton watch the rest.

We picked another movie, again we waited and waited

Got on to UPC whom told me to re set the router (doh never thought of that myself ) and said they changed the settings

On the 3rd night - the first movie was gone, paid to rent another movie, And went to watch the 2nd movie ... And guess what ... V v v v v v slow streAming, freezing , etc.

Help please before the divorce proceedings :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

The lead for.normal viewing with your tv is a standard HDMI to HDMI

The lead for connecting to PC for updating iTunes and jailbreaking is the same which is your standard USB cable that you would use with any external hard drive ,digital camera etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Merrilady wrote: »
    Jaysis folks, all the talk of jail breaking has me jealous .. I can't even get to a full movie on the stooped thing.

Gotnin on Sat, supposed to have a 25mg with UPC,rented a movie on Saturday .. It started with the 2 housprs to download, after bout 10 mins itnwas about 1/5th through and it started streaming but froze after 25 mins, we went to bed but we never got ton watch the rest.

Got on to UPC whom told me to re set the router (doh never thought of that myself ) and said they changed the settings

On the 3rd night - the first movie was gone, paid to rent another movie, And went to watch the 2nd movie ... And guess what ... V v v v v v slow streAming, freezing , etc.

Use Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Merrilady wrote: »

its a DNS issue

follow the instructions here and enter a fast DNS server:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/problem_with_netflix_on_apple_tv_2_maybe_its_dns/

Just got my apple tv 3 for my birthday! Yay!

Im mirroring 4od to the ATV3, how do i make it fullscreen or is this possible?

Also, are there some airplay apps that dont really work?
    I have cinexplayer and it'll only play the audio from certain files for me.
    Is this an issue with cinexplayer, airplay or the actual file type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Just got my apple tv 3 for my birthday! Yay!

Im mirroring 4od to the ATV3, how do i make it fullscreen or is this possible?

Also, are there some airplay apps that dont really work?
    I have cinexplayer and it'll only play the audio from certain files for me.
    Is this an issue with cinexplayer, airplay or the actual file type?

yes, lots of them dont allow for video to be displayed. There is a jailbreak app that fixes the issue, not sure what the name of it is though.

kjl wrote: »
    yes, lots of them dont allow for video to be displayed. There is a jailbreak app that fixes the issue, not sure what the name of it is though.

Well its atv3 so jailbreaking isnt an option currently i think.

Looking forward to it though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement