Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panasonic 3DO FZ1 or Atari Jaguar?

• 06-03-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,
    I'm looking to get something really nice for my collection of retro consoles and was wondering if I should pick up a Jaguar or a 3DO. I can't afford to get both at the moment so it was to be one or the other.

Any opinions on these, anyone have both etc.

Thanks
    April (8bit Diva)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Easy, get the 3DO.
    It has plenty of decent games, all of which are available as backups on cdr if you don't.want your own collection getting damaged.
    Must haves are Need for Speed, Road Rash, Return Fire, Starcontrol 2, Starblade, The Horde, Theme Park, Wing Commander 3, Incredible Machine, a great conversion of Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter 2 X.

I nearly forgot to say the Jaguar has only maybe 2 gamer worth having, Tempest and some say Alien vs Predator, I think the latter is dreadful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Easy, get the 3DO.
    It has plenty of decent games, all of which are available as backups on cdr if you don't.want your own collection getting damaged.
    Must haves are Need for Speed, Road Rash, Return Fire, Starcontrol 2, Starblade, The Horde, Theme Park, Wing Commander 3, Incredible Machine, a great conversion of Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter 2 X.

I nearly forgot to say the Jaguar has only maybe 2 gamer worth having, Tempest and some say Alien vs Predator, I think the latter is dreadful though.

The 3DO gets my vote...but concern over scratched cd's doesn't exhonerate the rampant theft that Ciderman above seems to feel :D The games are copyrighted, whether you scratch them or nor. But yeah, 3DO all day long :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, def the 3DO.
    I've had one since they went on sale in Ireland in 1994 I think it was. I have a jag as well and the 3DO wins hands down. In fact I love the 3DO, I'll always try and buy one if i see it for sale anywhere. I even got the 3DO blaster years ago for my PC, pity its an ISA card and cant go into any recent computers.

This is where the 3DO I've had since 1994 lives at the moment, still working as well as the day I got it and in pretty decent condition(might need to dust it though). I just played Return Fire on it last night :D

dsc3291u.jpg

I've just realised that N64 & 3DO are perfect like that, I knew there was something familiar about the 3DO but could never quite put my finger on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 8bit Diva

I think it has to be 3DO guys.
    Thanks so much.

Steve SI, can i ask how many 3DO's you have, you seem to like them.

And that 3DO you have looks really nice, Goldeneye on N64 as well :D

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've just realised that N64 & 3DO are perfect like that, I knew there was something familiar about the 3DO but could never quite put my finger on it :D

I use some white tac to hold them in place well. The white tac wont leave a residue on the top of the 3DO and also stops it getting scratched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »

The moment I saw that picture instantly thought -

'That lucky git he has an n64 DD!'

I have never, ever noticed the similarity between them. That's pretty coincidental!

64dd4.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    The moment I saw that picture instantly thought -

'That lucky git he has an n64 DD!'

I have never, ever noticed the similarity between them. That's pretty coincidental!

Ha, i wish i had a N64 DD.

8bit Diva wrote: »
    I think it has to be 3DO guys.
    Thanks so much.

Steve SI, can i ask how many 3DO's you have, you seem to like them.

And that 3DO you have looks really nice, Goldeneye on N64 as well :D

Well, not including the 3DO blaster I have 5. Two FZ1's, an FZ10, a Goldstar 3DO and a Sanyo TRY 3DO from Japan. My fav is the original FZ1 and that's what I play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 8bit Diva

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well, not including the 3DO blaster I have 5. Two FZ1's, an FZ10, a Goldstar 3DO and a Sanyo TRY 3DO from Japan. My fav is the original FZ1 and that's what I play on.

Wow, thats a lot of 3do's. I really really want one. I dont suppose you might sell me one of the fz1 models would you. I must have one :)
    I'm just going to come out and offer 200 euro for an fz1, please.

• Advertisement

Wow, thats a lot of 3do's. I really really want one. I dont suppose you might sell me one of the fz1 models would you. I must have one :)

That's kind of em...paying over the odds. They sell for cheaper than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Sorry, I just couldn't sell one.
    There is an ok condition fz1 for sale on ebay for 192 euro but its in japan so postage would not be great. Amazon has an fz10 for £75 sterling.

Have a look around, they can be hard to find but you will pick one up if you keep an eye out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Great Zombie Jesus!
    I got mine for free!
    Seriously shop about, there is bound to be one out there for around the 50 mark.

Oh, and no cash deals on these threads, there is a dedicated thread for trading only here.
    Sales are to be done on Adverts.ie, thanks

Great Zombie Jesus!
    I got mine for free!
    Seriously shop about, there is bound to be one out there for around the 50 mark.

Oh, and no cash deals on these threads, there is a dedicated thread for trading only here.

If you want one that's in mint condition and boxed you will pay more but you are right you can find them cheaper around.
    I paid a good bit more than €200 for a still sealed in box FZ1 a few years ago, but I really did want it. I am a 3DO addict and needed to feed my addiction :)

Great Zombie Jesus!
    I got mine for free!

You'd be doing well to find a nice FZ-1 for €50 or under, but your right in that you'll get one for well under €200.

8Bit Diva, keep an eye on retrogames.co.uk
    They get 3DO's in from time to time. Register and you can get an email alert when they come into stock. Looks like they go for about 40 sterling.

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/008673

Just don't do anything crazy like spend 200 on a 3do, they're good, but not that good!
    Well, ok, Return Fire is totally it...

Give Rage a shout, the retro games and vinyl shop in town, they might be able to source one for you.

Advertisement