Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philly cheese steak - Ireland

Options
  • 06-03-2011 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Don't see the Philly cheese steak on offer here all that often. Anyone know of any places that have it on the menu?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I had my first cheesesteak in Philly almost 20 years ago, at the time my brother told me you can only get them in Philly,
    He was right, plenty of imatations but never got one anywhere as good (or close) as there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Thanks blueirish, must confess I've never been to Philadelphia to try the real deal. :D

So you have seen places over here with a "Philly Cheese Steak" on their menu, or maybe just an "Irish steak sandwich" type of thing?

Captain America's don't even do it, which is maybe a bit of a surprise.

I have seen imitations advertised as cheesesteak but not the same, i haven't been able to recreate it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

There's a pub off George's St Dublin claims to do Philly Cheese Steak. Never tried it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

What exactly are they then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

You can't get Steak-umm here nor American crappy pasteurized cheese (if you're a Gino's person) or Cheeze Whiz if you're a Pat's person. Hence there's no philly cheese steak in Ireland. Doesn't bother me as I'm not a huge fan but hubby's dying to try one and has never been to the city of brotherly love.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    What exactly are they then?

Heaven,

Thinly chopped beef with onions (mushroom optional) and fried with Provolone cheese or topped with Cheese wizz all in a sub style bread.

I still remember my first, think I was expecting a steak with grated cheese on top, how wrong I was.

Would love one now!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 n1mr0d

http://www.facebook.com/Phillysphinestyo

This place in Omagh, Tyrone. On Bridge Street in the town centre. Owned and run by a Philly girl.

n1mr0d wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/Phillysphinestyo

This place in Omagh, Tyrone. On Bridge Street in the town centre. Owned and run by a Philly girl.

Just had to post that I was in there yesterday and yes its the closest thing to a cheesesteak I have had in Ireland.
    Only compaint I have is that I got a takeaway, could have had a second if I had sat in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

Eddie Rockets

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

There's a place in Galway that does them. Haven't lived there in 4 years now so I'm not sure if it's still there. Also, I can't remember the name! I know where it is though... go to Eddie Rocket's in Galway, then walk down towards Sally Longs. About half way down that narrow street is a little restaurant (I mean fckin tiny) on the right.

That's the only place I've had a Philly Cheese Steak. I couldn't tell you if it's authentic - never been to Philadelphia - but they are absolutely SAVAGE. I went there at least once a week, and if I went up to Galway again for the day it would be my first stop.

Any Galway folks here know the place I'm on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Found it! Took a virtual walk around Galway there with Google streetview, pretty cool! The place is called Homeplate. Still open it seems.

By the way I'm assuming you wanted to know places in Ireland that sell it, not just Dublin... right?

Advertisement