Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer match threads

Options
  • 06-03-2011 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

They ought to be closed after the match. Soon after. Posters are only going to get themselves in trouble when they are reduced to bickering after the game has finished..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056199540

This clearly demonstrates that while match threads are viable, they are only viable while there is a match.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They ought to be closed after the match. Soon after. Posters are only going to get themselves in trouble when they are reduced to bickering after the game has finished..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056199540

This clearly demonstrates that while match threads are viable, they are only viable while there is a match.
    And what if someone was watching the match in the pub/at a friend's and wants to comment on it when they get back?

Maybe people should just grow up and behave themselves when they're posting about a match and they wouldn't get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Maybe in an ideal world, but that ain't what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

A load of them will probably end up being banned anyway, kinda glad I already was after todays match!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People can prevent themselves from getting banned, they don't need the threads locked, they just need to be mature enough to stop posting or spouting crap. Not mature enough: get yourself banned. This will drive up the mathematical average of maturity on the forum. Win!

How else can you have post-game analysis? It's kind of integral to the whole sports vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Theres a fine line between banter(which is an integral part of football!) and bickering

• Advertisement

Yeah but hang on do you remember the last time things soccer-related got locked and/or out of hand and/or people couldnt get to the soccer forum to talk about it? Something to do with a croissant and a pint of Guinness. Blood rained from the skies. It's probably safer just to let people tantrum it out and then follow up later with reprisal, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm only a lurker there but mother of god that thread just crashed and burned, and if anything gives weight behind the argument that pics should be banned there just like AH. We all know pics on the forum have caused trouble in the past and the fact that a core group of people are resorting to the same old 'witty' comebacks of jpgs and gifs rather than actual debate and analysis just makes the place even worse.

But like I said I don't post there, just throwing my 2c in.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would ruin the photo thread, but the idea has merit certainly

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Struck me there just weren't any mods around so people were allowed troll the thread all to hell.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Posters are only going to get themselves in trouble when they are reduced to bickering after the game has finished.

What you're saying there is that grown adults cannot behave themselves and discuss a subject in a civil manner.
    So their hands should be help by the Mods?

I'm of the opinion that if a thread is of interest to all and just some cannot behave, then they are the ones that get banned so everyone else can continue the discussion.

BTW, have you discussed this issue with the Mods themselves?
    They will know better than us what is in the best interest of the forum.

Am I being illogical in thinking that a good chunk of the soccer forum would be the need for discussions of how a particular match went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No way should the match threads be locked, people should learn how to get their point across within the rules, it's not all that difficult really.

Struck me there just weren't any mods around so people were allowed troll the thread all to hell.
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    What you're saying there is that grown adults cannot behave themselves and discuss a subject in a civil manner.
    So their hands should be help by the Mods?
    I'm of the opinion that if a thread is of interest to all and just some cannot behave, then they are the ones that get banned so everyone else can continue the discussion.

BTW, have you discussed this issue with the Mods themselves?
    They will know better than us what is in the best interest of the forum.

Am I being illogical in thinking that a good chunk of the soccer forum would be the need for discussions of how a particular match went?
    The Muppet wrote: »
    No way should the match threads be locked, people should learn how to get their point across within the rules, it's not all that difficult really.

It seems to me that most match threads decend into anarchy pretty quickly after the game is finished. There is little "discussion" and a lot of posturing. Yes, obviously people should be able to post in a mature manner but it is plain for all to see that they can't. Threads get closed on Boards on the grounds "this is going to become a trollfest" every day.

Yes, obviously people should be able to post in a mature manner but it is plain for all to see that they can't. Threads get closed on Boards on the grounds "this is going to become a trollfest" every day.

Perhaps they do but should they, if people can't post within the rules they should be dealt with accordingly. I dont see any reason to stop the majority of users who post within the rules from discusssing any match.

Perhaps they do but should they, if people can't post within the rules they should be dealt with accordingly. I dont see any reason to stop the majority of users who post within the rules from discusssing any match.

I'll give you an example. How is this discussion of the match? From a long-standing and respected poster ;)
    ^ are the kids off school today?

It's only one game, a bit early for the on the up comments TBH, remember last week?;)

I'll give you an example. How is this discussion of the match? From a long-standing and respected poster ;)

I'm happy stand over those post's in the proper place.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That post was just some banter in fairness.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It seems to me that most match threads decend into anarchy pretty quickly after the game is finished. There is little "discussion" and a lot of posturing. Yes, obviously people should be able to post in a mature manner but it is plain for all to see that they can't. Threads get closed on Boards on the grounds "this is going to become a trollfest" every day.
    Posturing happens in the politics forums too and im sure in many other forums. Frequently though it can happen without a descent into pure infancy.

K-9 wrote: »
    That post was just some banter in fairness.

But where is the line between banter and personal abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Personally I've no problem with the 6 year old jibe and AFAIK, it is against the rules. It was a joke and tbh true!

As for the question, that's a hard one and many the thread on here and Helpdesk on that particular one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Three goals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement