Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Halsey

• 06-03-2011 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

What a useless ref !

Why can't I watch a match where simple decisions are fair and based on common sense.

Really fed up. We pay good money to Sky and other providers to watch football.

Just not good enough. Also the linesman at Arsenal yesterday. Complete joke.

I got a ref's badge some years ago. The "LAWS OF THE GAME" were straightforward and where there were occasions where I may have made mistakes in my function, so be it.

Thats part of the game.

These people are just incompetent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's pretty much turning into a game where crosses into the box from frees are useless if it's going to be a free out everytime.
    Stearman's goal was perfectly fine, shambles of a decision just as well it didn't cost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Goalkeepers are given far too much protection. They abuse it, the slightest touch they fall down knowing they have a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think he's a really good ref actually. He was awful today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Goalkeepers are hilarious. Will go down under slight contact and go nuts if a free isn't given anytime an attacker comes near them. They'll happily jump up for the high ball with knees out though to clatter anyone who tried to challenge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

If a striker brushes off a defender or goalkeeper its a free out but when its the other way around its play on. You can teach somebody the rules of the game but you cant teach them the bottle to actually apply the rules fairly. Im sick of cowardly referees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

He has one bad game :rolleyes: Gimme a break

He's a better ref than Neil Webb and Rowan Atkinson:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's great to see him back after beating cancer, but his performances have been poor for a while now.

I usually credit him as being one of the better referee's in the Premier League (Webb's the best by far) but in the past few weeks he's made some poor decisions and has let the more well-known Premier League players get on his back and it seems that has influenced his decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He got the two biggest decisions of the game wrong when he decided not to send off Hutton and to disallow that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Refs and assistance are so bad this season that video technology is the only way to go from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Refs and assistance are so bad this season that video technology is the only way to go from now on!

That'll be another whileen yet.... they are too busy with the pressing matter at hand which is 'The 'Snood'....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Pal wrote: »
    What a useless ref !

Why can't I watch a match where simple decisions are fair and based on common sense.

Really fed up. We pay good money to Sky and other providers to watch football.

Just not good enough. Also the linesman at Arsenal yesterday. Complete joke.

I got a ref's badge some years ago. The "LAWS OF THE GAME" were straightforward and where there were occasions where I may have made mistakes in my function, so be it.

Thats part of the game.

What has this got to do with refereeing practice? Sky dont hire the refs , do you think refs are basing their decisions on what the viewers at home want or don't want?

Im sure they go out to perform as best as they can every game , mistakes happen all the time in every league across the world every weekend. Im sure they would like to be assisted by the use of videos & whatnot but they aren't at the moment & thats not their fault - its Fifas .

They can only rely on their split second instinct after seeing any incidents & sometimes they may be wrong - big deal - its been that way since football began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I was really disappointed with Mark today he had a trial run today to begin a relationship similar to the Webb United Atkinson Chelsea ones and he got the key decisions wrong I expect yellow cards for simulation and offside for fletchers goal - again very disappointed :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He wont be criticised because of what he went through over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Melion wrote: »
    He wont be criticised because of what he went through over the last few years

You must not have read the op ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Thats part of the game.

Why are you allowed to make a mistake but others are not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Goalkeepers are hilarious. Will go down under slight contact and go nuts if a free isn't given anytime an attacker comes near them. They'll happily jump up for the high ball with knees out though to clatter anyone who tried to challenge them.

Didn't see the game today to comment on the particular incident but the keeper protection annoys me so much sometimes. In the Villa - Blackburn game last week Robinson absolutely clattered Baker when coming for a punch causing Baker to have to go off with concussion and a free out was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

My favorite referee lets a lot of things go. Had a bad game. i'm sure your favorite player has had a bad game once but you remember his good ones. For a ref everybody remembers his bad games.

After seeing the incident my opinion would be that the free kick was given because Gomez had two hands on the ball and then it was knocked from his hands. Not because of any contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

sneakyST wrote: »
    Why are you allowed to make a mistake but others are not?

You missed the point.

"Why can't I watch a match where simple decisions are fair"

A player from the Wolves team headed the ball into the net.
    The ref (Halsey) gave a free kick to Spurs that was unfair in the extreme.
    It was a simple decision to correctly award a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

is there the facility in the game to call for referees to be punished, or is it just arbitrarly done by the referees union?

• Advertisement

You missed the point.

"Why can't I watch a match where simple decisions are fair"

A player from the Wolves team headed the ball into the net.
    The ref (Halsey) gave a free kick to Spurs that was unfair in the extreme.
    It was a simple decision to correctly award a goal.

He headed into the net after knocking the ball from the Goalkeepers hands, technically a foul. I can fully understand why Mr Halsey gave the free kick.

Advertisement