Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC specs?

• 06-03-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been mentioned already. Currently I only have a dell xps m1330 laptop and as I have very little money I cannot afford to upgrade.

I have been checking out the minecraft youtube clips and I was thinking of trying it out. Will my laptop run minecraft or should I wait till I get a paying job?

If this question has been answered already, then please direct me towrds the thread and close this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Whats your graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I think it is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0 as that seems to be the standard for this particular laptop.

Should run ok then. Maybe not on far distance but at least normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

i'm playing minecraft on a 4 year old dell inspiron 1501. i reckon your alright :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It's runs fairly decent on my netbook, there's the odd fps drop and it runs better in Linux than in Win 7 (though only by a handful of FPS but it makes the difference between playable and unplayable).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Looking to join Minecraft but only just bought this laptop, will it be ok? Also wheres the best place to start? Litterally have no idea where to start, Cheers

General InformationProcessorIntel® Core™ i3-370M Processor
    - 2.20 GHz
    - 2.5 GT/s DMI
    - 3 MB Smart Cache
    Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bitRAM3GB RAM, DDR3Graphics cardIntegrated
    - 128 MB memory
    Screen typeWidescreen LCDScreen resolution- WXGA
    - 1366 x 768
    Screen size15.6"Screen featuresCinecrystal LEDHard drive320GB, 5400 rpmOptical disk driveSuperMulti DVDMemory card reader2-in-1 media card reader (SD, MMC)USB3 x USB 2.0 portsFireWireNoModem/Ethernet1 x RJ-45 Ethernet portWi-FiAcer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™BluetoothNoVideo interface1 x HDMI
    1 x VGA
    Audio interface1 x Headphone/speaker/line-out jack
    1 x Microphone-in jack
    TV output1 x HDMI (digital video/audio)
    1 x VGA (analogue video)
    Extension card slotNoSoundBuilt-in mono speaker
    High-definition audio support
    MS-Sound compatible
    Built-in microphone
    WebcamAcer Crystal Eye webcam with 1280 x 1024 resolutionBattery- Lithium-Ion battery (6-cell)
    - Up to 3.5 hours battery life
    Accessories includedPower cord, AC adapter, battery, documentationSize381 x 253 x 25-34 mm (W x D x H)Weight2.6 kg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Should be fine yeah. Any i series laptop has Intel HD as a minimum which is more than capable of running the game.

I suggest you start diving into single player first. Get a feel of the game and its mechanics, the Minecraft Wiki will help you whenever you feel stuck :)

Should be fine yeah. Any i series laptop has Intel HD as a minimum which is more than capable of running the game.

I suggest you start diving into single player first. Get a feel of the game and its mechanics, the Minecraft Wiki will help you whenever you feel stuck :)

Actually intel GMA HD Cards cards can only run the game on the lowest settings.
    They have compatibility issues with Open GL games. I have one and it only runs at about 25 FPS on tiny.

That said I'm running an old version of the game. Perhaps the updated beta runs better?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I get 25fps on tiny on a GMA 950, the Intel HD is about 6-8 times faster. Doesn't make sense

I get 25fps on tiny on a GMA 950, the Intel HD is about 6-8 times faster. Doesn't make sense

Please tell me how you did this. :p

• Advertisement

Jaafa wrote: »
    Please tell me how you did this. :p

Latest drivers and Optimine. That's it really. No secrets. Running on a crappy Pentium 4 2.6ghz processor!

Latest drivers and Optimine. That's it really. No secrets. Running on a crappy Pentium 4 2.6ghz processor!

I will try this. thanks.

Mine seems a little slow :(

little off topic but I played minecraft for the 1st time today,
    after nearly 2 hours and really getting into it, my laptop overheated n shut down :mad: not happy but I'll start again and save every 30 mins from now on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

IPAM wrote: »
    Mine seems a little slow :(

little off topic but I played minecraft for the 1st time today,
    after nearly 2 hours and really getting into it, my laptop overheated n shut down :mad: not happy but I'll start again and save every 30 mins from now on :D

This might sound obvious, but make sure your laptop is well ventilated.

Aye, I had it on my lap for a while then moved it to the table but obviously not in time :(

Playing single player at the moment, so far I've built a funny looking house and ..... well thats about it :D

Been looking at some vids here for inspiration, was gonna try a stadium but id imadine that will stretch my abilities abit considering my experience is about 2 hours in total :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

IPAM wrote: »
    Aye, I had it on my lap for a while then moved it to the table but obviously not in time :(

Playing single player at the moment, so far I've built a funny looking house and ..... well thats about it :D

Been looking at some vids here for inspiration, was gonna try a stadium but id imadine that will stretch my abilities abit considering my experience is about 2 hours in total :D

Play with stuff that moves, tracks are hard work starting off, lots of iron required but water drop shafts and elevators are great fun and are mostly dirt or stone.

Im guessing thats the paid version as Ive no water or any moving parts that I can see :confused: Dunno how to get Iron either, also how do ya get a birdseye view of the world/map/whatever its called?

Dragged this way off topic, sorry mods, I'll find the proper thread :pac:

Advertisement