Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking

Options
  • 06-03-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

hi everyone

i have been trying to network my laptop and desktop together using crossover cable. i have been having no luck whatsoever. i have checked the crossover cable with a cable tester and it works properly. i connected both computers created a folder on both and set up sharing on both folders. the network cards on both computers work perfectly. i am not sure if i am doing something wrong as i am new enough to networking. is there something i might need to do with the IP ADDRESSES on both computer( that is something i have tried). both computers are running windows xp the laptop(media center) and the desktop (xp professional). if anyone has any idea's i would appreciate all input

ps: i could not find a networking area on this site to post this thread so apologies if i have posted it in the wrong section.

regards

Colm

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I think wired networks is part of Nets & Comms, which is part of the Nets & Comms subcat ;)

First of all: do you have the two machines set to the same workgroup? Go to My Computer > System Properties (via icon right-click or "View System Info" sidebar) > Computer Name > Change. The names must match exactly for the LAN to work, and IIRC the Home and MC versions of XP have it set to MSHOME, but the Pro and 64 versions use WORKGROUP by default. D'oh! :o:p

Advertisement