Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading and FG/Lab

Options
  • 06-03-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the legislation pertaning to reloading is lightly to be changed under the new government,or is it that straight forward of an issue ?
    I ask because ,i do alot of salmon fishing,and flytying keeps me contented alot of evenings buring the winter months,and could be classed as a "sport" on its own.
    I reckon reloading could be to shooting as fly tying is to salmon fishing,something to do when we cant hunt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

interesting question. i would love to reload so someday i hope they change it

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Just wondering if the legislation pertaning to reloading is lightly to be changed under the new government,or is it that straight forward of an issue ?
    I ask because ,i do alot of salmon fishing,and flytying keeps me contented alot of evenings buring the winter months,and could be classed as a "sport" on its own.
    I reckon reloading could be to shooting as fly tying is to salmon fishing,something to do when we cant hunt.
    It would be great if we could get it to happen. Not even sure how we would go about starting the ball rolling? I suppose we would need a body like the NARGC to make repersentation. Good question though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The NARGC were asked previously about reloading and replied that their members did not need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Who needs to be lobbied ?,Surley if subversives wanted a quantity of powder,they wouldn't be heading down to their local friendly rfd for a pound at a time.
    It shouldn't be that big of an ask,were not looking to store plutonium,and depleated uranium.
    Surley between the NARGC,various Deer groups and sporting rifle accosiations,we should have some clout .
    I think FG might be perswadiable(if thats a word)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

What do ye mean by reloading :confused:?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Arcto wrote: »

As in assembeling our own ammunition with various components .

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Putting our own bullets together. ie getting gun powder, bullet case, and bullet head, primer etc and getting the correct balance to give a accurate/deadly round. With self loading you can get the max not the factory setting....:) Trial and error to get the best:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ezridax could answer in more detail, but there's already a trial underway for the creedmoor match, and that should lead to wider changes in the law in this area. A quick search of the forum for "reloading" or "handloading" should turn up a dozen threads on the topic or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

It is being able to assemble your own round. Primer, brass, powder, bullet. Various combinations of the above can be tried, as well as different bullet seating depths, different powders and weights of those powders.

You can then test what you've made, and fine tune it, incrementally increasing powder load, playing with seating depth and so forth.

Various books are available such as
    • Hornadys Handbook of cartridge reloading
    • Speer reloading manual
    • Richard Lees modern reloading
    • Sierra rifle and handgun reloading data

There are also clips available on YouTube and many, many thousands of peoples reloading experiences on forums throughout the shooting free world (which Ireland doesn't belong to).

Once the reloader thoroughly understands the various warning signs, has common sense, attention to detail, likes taking records and has the ability to concentrate, tailored ammunition can be made to produce maximum accuracy in his/her individual gun in a safe manner at home. Rather than relying on mass produced shop bought ammunition.

Centrefire rounds and shotgun rounds can be reloaded.

Rimfire rounds cannot AFAIK due to their primer being "poured" into the case rather than having a separate primer like centrefire or shotgun ammo.

Over time, which would be shortened the higher the quantity of shots fired, reloading can not only produce more accurate rounds, but also cheaper rounds. The real savings come once the initial outlay for equipment has been "paid off" in rounds fired.

I'm forgetting something, but there's enough info there for a basic understanding :pac:

Oh yes, now I remember what it was:

It also removes the frustration of traveling to a dealer only to be told your rifles favourite ammo isn't in stock and can't be got for six months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Arrow,
    Until such time as it becomes legal, pick up and save your brass.

New brass can be fired multiple times via reloading. The once fired brass is supposed to be better than original as it has been form fitted to your rifle.

In any case, those that I know who reload in the states would not even consider the best factory on the market. They swear by reloads.

I expect, given the price of ammo in Ireland, that reloading would be particularly attractive. It doesn't take a lot of money or gizmos either: single stage press, dies, tumbler, and scale.

If you're reloading for a big round, deer or bigger, 100 rounds would take you a long way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement