Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to London by car

Options
  • 06-03-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

What would be the possibility of connecting Ireland to mainland Britain by a bridge or even by a train tunnel line, oh and what would be the possibility of a tunnel for cars to travel from Ireland to mainland Britain. Im sure it probably costs way more than its worth but still its an interesting topic, what do you think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

lcrcboy wrote: »
    What would be the possibility of connecting Ireland to mainland Britain by a bridge or even by a train tunnel line, oh and what would be the possibility of a tunnel for cars to travel from Ireland to mainland Britain. Im sure it probably costs way more than its worth but still its an interesting topic, what do you think??

blasphemy........burn him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I think its unlikely. I mean that this topic will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

You start digging in Holyhead, OP and I'll start in East Wall. See ya in the middle.

BTW, Don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This is an unusual thread as it is usually how to break the connection to brittain that is debated, :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I don't know, but looking at a map, probably a considerably larger investment than the Channel Tunnel, so an absolutely huge amount of money would be involved if it were possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Im sure it probably costs way more than its worth

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

OP - I think I can offer you the very first ticket to cross the Dublin to Liverpool SkyBridge, please send me you bank account details so I can arrange the administrative details for you

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

realies wrote: »
    This is an unusual thread as it is usually how to break the connection to brittain that is debated, :-)

what can I say Im a forward thinker in these dark times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The toll would probably be ten times higher than the flight costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

irish-stew wrote: »
    something like this?

Just noticed the price tag on that, a quarter of what Lennie gave to our zombie banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

galwayrush wrote: »
    Just noticed the price tag on that, a quarter of what Lennie gave to our zombie banks.

And we would have got a top gear special out of it ..... endless tunnel exhaust note potential

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Well London's not near the coast, and it's not to the west, so you'd have to go through.. I dunno, maybe the West Country or somewhere? No one wants that to be their first glimpse of Britain. Might as well just get the ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

something like this?

It would be longer than the Channel Tunnel connecting England to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's an interesting idea. The nearest place from Dublin to the British Isles is Holyhead. That's 107KM which would be exceptionally expensive whether oversea or undersea.

It's an interesting idea. The nearest place from Dublin to the British Isles is Holyhead. That's 107KM which would be exceptionally expensive whether oversea or undersea.

Doesn't have to be Dublin, it 80 from Rosslare to Fishguard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Nothing against the idea OP.

Its just that I wouldn't have too much confidence in our ability to do it considering we can't even get a pair of tram lines to connect with other. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Far narrower between Larne and Stranraer if you want to do something like this

53km is still a big distance though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The nearest place from Dublin to the British Isles is Holyhead..

Why would it have to start from Dublin ?

And leaving aside the issues some people have with the term "British Isles" isint Dublin in the British Isles ?
    Far narrower between Larne and Stranraer if you want to do something like this

True but on the other hand would be a pretty indirect route for the majority of potential users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why would it have to start from Dublin ?

And leaving aside the issues some people have with the term "British Isles" isint Dublin in the British Isles ?

NO IT IS NOT!!!!

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Nothing against the idea OP.

Its just that I wouldn't have too much confidence in our ability to do it considering we can't even get a pair of tram lines to connect with other. :(

Or a port tunnel that was too low to take some of the lorries it was meant to of the Capitals streets.

karlog wrote: »
    NO IT IS NOT!!!!

Eh....check 1:20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Doesn't have to be Dublin, it 80 from Rosslare to Fishguard.
    Even less from Larne to Stranraer but even so it would still be very expensive to build and maintain.
    Mike 1972 wrote: »

Geographically speaking yes but very few people from Ireland would agree with identifying Ireland as being as part of the "British Isles". I've no qualms with it as it's just a geographical term but I didn't want hoards of people quoting my post and going miles off thread.

Is it possible to have a thread that mentions both britain and ireland, without it turning into political-landscape/geography lesson?

Is it possible to have a thread that mentions both britain and ireland, without it turning into political-landscape/geography lesson?

Skipping a history lesson, probably not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

the correct geographic terms are britian and ireland or the atlantic archipelago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

In AH? No.

I expect mention of Islam, the Catholic Church, banks and head shops also to figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Britain and Ireland? Where's Northern Ireland then? Hmmmmmmm? HRMMMMMMMMMMM?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

How would a lesson on appropriate use of capital letters sound :D

• Advertisement

brummytom wrote: »
    Britain and Ireland? Where's Northern Ireland then? Hmmmmmmm? HRMMMMMMMMMMM?!!!

Its up north silly.

:p

Advertisement