Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ungodly xbox network and media streaming issues!

Options
  • 06-03-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

i initially posted this to another thread and then realised it hadn't been active since 2009 so here i go again!!!

Anybody else not able to get even tversity to work? tried orb and vuze too and nothing! used to be able to stream when i was on eircom with the netopia router, then switched to vodafone and was able to on their router, then switched back to eircom cos vodafones broadband kept dropping out and now i can't stream with the new zyxel router!

at any rate tried everything i could find that was recommended on all sorts of forums and networking sites and nothing has helped! here's where the explanation gets complicated;

two computers in the house, mine has xp the pc has vista.

the vista computer (wired to router) and WMP11 on it can connect to the xbox (wireless) and the xbox can stream from it.

the xp computer (wireless) can connect to the vista computer and can stream in both directions.
    WMP11 can detect both computers respectively.

my xp can't detect the xbox and vice versa.

the vista is even able to pick up the media drive of WMP11 AND the drive setup by Orb as two different drives!

i've bin at this for weeks! thought initially it was a problem caused by the xbox update in the autumn but that coincided with us going back to eircom and getting the new router! thought it was the router but if it was how come the vista pc can detect my xp machine no problem and the xbox can detect the vista machine! this is driving me nuts! even when the xp is wired to the router it can't connect or if it's connected with a crossover cable either!

Dear god someone help before i end up in dundrum!!!

cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I am using ps3media sever and it works great.I have it wired to my laptop to router to xbox.Didnt have to set anythign up,xbox with just show your computer with ps3sever beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Could be you need to open the proper port to allow the xbox to access your laptop. It could be that your router is simplised so people with no clue what their doing can still set it up.

Would you conisder putting a dual boot on your of vista on your xp laptop to see if that sorts the problem?

Did you try ps3 media sever it takes nothing to set up and found all my drives straight away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1392/Xbox-360-Windows-Media-Center-Setup-Guide/p1/

Take a look at that and make sure you have the xp media centre installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 healsnails

cheers for your help ppl. dont think the ps3 thing wud work when orb and tversity and wmp didn't. tried opening ports on router and nothing! The website link isn't any help cos it's media centre only and i have xp sp3. the vista thing isn't a bad idea but i don't have a copy of vista to hand.
    thanks for getting back to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 healsnails

was onto eircom AGAIN tonight after the router sat down completely on me while trying to adjust some more settings and the tech guy finally admitted that the routers were crap, that you cant do port forwarding, and can do very little other than use them to access broadband! he was just short of actually saying they were crap! managed to pull back at the last minute and admit "they weren't very good"!!! also bad news because they are out of the old netopia routers that actually worked and so we are all stuck with incredibly sub standard equipment! when i asked him about getting a different router myself he seemed to think it really was a better idea than taking a second zyxel but he sent me one anyway! admitted as well that most things like internet gaming and media streaming wouldn't be easily done if not completely impossible!

the geniuss of eircom strike again! just a pity we cant get upc broadband in our area, my girlfriend's parents have it and it's stupidly fast and reliable and comes with netgear routers! just can't get a break!

anyway lads thanks for trying, think i'll try find another way to stream media and connect my laptop until i can lay my hands on a new router!

can you not just use an external hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

The PS3 media server is the way to go. I've used all of the other options out there and this thing was a doddle to setup in comparison.

Advertisement