Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and wow

Options
  • 06-03-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Me and a few guildies are lagging like mofo's tonight, all on UPC.. Anyone else noticing any lag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

No probs here at the mo in Waterford. We had issues last week which forced a raid to be cancelled and on an alt night every so often we were getting large lag spikes that was causing vent to DC and the odd time a DC in game. We raid late night though so no idea what the connection was like at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Im on upc too and Ive had bad lag for the past couple of days but its a lot worse today for some reason, bloody annoying:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

few of the guildies alright having trouble with UPC

Word they got was disruptions caused by upgrading exchanges

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Same problem here too.

I am in Waterford and on UPC...Lagging very bad, but seems confined to Dungeons / Raids. Hitting huge lag spikes, making running instances pretty much impossible. Only started happening in the last week or so....

Thought it was Blizz at first, as I know they have a new forum up regarding this very issue.

Hard to know who is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Im on UPC 30M in Dublin (D*) and its fine. I have the odd stutter for a few seconds every half hour or hour, but thats generally only in ORG.

Didnt this happen with UPC before where they ****ed up some filters, and didnt realise it was killing wow (and eventually fixed it too, when provided with the right information)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shougeki wrote: »
    Didnt this happen with UPC before where they ****ed up some filters, and didnt realise it was killing wow (and eventually fixed it too, when provided with the right information)

Happened a few months back, and it was impossible to play. And of course it wasnt UPC's fault... :rolleyes:

It's to do with how they characterise their traffic and WoW seems to fall under P2P so the packets are not prioritised and are often dropped. Next time you get a lag spike or general in game lag, the majority of the time your net is perfect and you can download or play other games no problem at all.

Kiith wrote: »
    And of course it wasnt UPC's fault... :rolleyes:

It's not just a UPC issue, it's a general ISP issue and a lot of the UK ISPs are in the same boat. It's not really UPCs specific fault although their attitude doesn't help. Blizzard should be contacting ISPs to advise them on how their traffic is projected or even changing how their traffic is projected. Of course that requires effort and possibly too much effort depending on the fix!

edit: That's not saying that the current lag spikes are caused by the traffic profile, like some people have said it's possibly due to exchange upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

Haveing the same prob too in Wicklow. I'm on the UPC 30MB package. Massive lag spikes up to 2000ms but only when in raid or instance. Damn annoying!

One of our tanks is gettin horrible issues with them recently, literally stopped us doing progression last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Doz101

Ye i cant even play atm :mad: im with perlico and for the past week my latency just gos crazy high then i disconnect. ran all the tests blizz ask u for and found when i did tracert this came up that they told me was the problem :

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 * 23 ms 22 ms 89.19.64.5
    3 23 ms * 23 ms 89.19.65.49
    4 * * 23 ms 89.19.64.50
    5 166 ms 118 ms 27 ms s2-0-0.dblnir2-cr1.bbnplanet.net [195.16.170.1]
    6 23 ms 24 ms 23 ms ae-7-7.car2.Dublin1.Level3.net [4.69.148.58]
    7 73 ms 213 ms 104 ms ae-11-11.car1.Dublin1.Level3.net [4.69.136.93]
    8 36 ms 36 ms 36 ms ae-5-5.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.136.90]
    9 * 40 ms 39 ms ae-1-51.edge3.London1.Level3.net [4.69.139.73]
    10 39 ms 39 ms 39 ms ldn-b5-link.telia.net [213.248.96.37]
    11 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms ldn-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.252.197]
    12 45 ms 45 ms 44 ms prs-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.247.6]
    13 46 ms 47 ms 47 ms prs-b7-link.telia.net [80.91.250.54]
    14 44 ms 45 ms 44 ms prs-sdix-i1-link.telia.net [80.91.248.113]

missing packets all over the place donno what to do tbh HELP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Since you're getting missing packets on even hop 2, its likely this is a problem with between your router and the exchange (that can be a big area). Raise a ticket with your ISP and send them the traceroute (show it going to google.ie, or their host eg perlico.com).

From MMO champion:

We’re aware some players are experiencing ongoing latency issues while trying to play World of Warcraft. We’ve taken steps to investigate the cause, and at this time we’re confident that our systems and network are performing properly. We are actively collaborating with our industry contacts to assist in the diagnosis and hopeful resolution of broader internet latency issues, which are suspected to be the cause of degraded performance.

Actual Thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2267591600

At least it's an acknowledgment of sorts that a good portion of the player base has some form of latency issues in WoW, and only in WoW in most cases!! From the comments in the thread it seems AT&T is one of the main culprits for US players. Whatever resolution comes out of this I hope it is sent on to all ISPs. Even if NTL still has issues it could be something to point them towards when emailing them.

I havent seen any issues at all, and im on UPC. Got about 35ms latency whereever I am. Raid, Org, BG are all grand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Im with UPC and lately my connection keeps dying on me, from anywhere from 20 to hours.

I have been known to dc in bg's or dungeons. But ive been mainly doing bg's lately, nothing but the usually lag spike during a AV frag fest.

Anyone seeing issues tonight?

Im seeing 4k/2k in TitanPanel for my latency. Normally under 40ms

Anyone seeing issues tonight?

Im seeing 4k/2k in TitanPanel for my latency. Normally under 40ms

Got dc'd once or twice yesterday evening, other then that all was ok

Checked this morning before coming to work, everything was back down to 32/38 so looks like it was a blip. Had loadsa other things i had to do yesterday so it was a good way to get me to do them!

Poblem back this evening. Even tried OpenDNS servers and direct connection to laptop.

Seems loads of packets are being dropped when i ping google....

grrrr

I know some people in Waterford had UPC problems for a few days but it was flagged by UPC. They sent them a letter saying upgrades for the TV network were happening in the area and that all services would be interrupted and basically flaky for a few days. Possible they could be working on something in your area and just not bothered to send a letter?

The other alternative if you got your line upgraded recently. What you are experiencing now used to happen to me every time I got an upgrade off of UPC. Very frustrating as when you ring them the line works perfect and then out of hours she dips. I spent weeks with a connection slower then 56k (on a 20Mb line) at peak times yet nothing was up according to them and I was the only person complaining despite my whole street ringing them. I sent enough emails though to get a free month month so that's an option to go down. Run tracerts and ping tests on their servers and email them along with a complaint. I'm up to 3 months free broadband with them over 4 years as a customer, haven't had a complaint though in over 12 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Call up and log a fault, thats what i did with them when I had lag.

• Advertisement

Been fine for me (D8 close to dolphins barn) since i arrived home yesterday after work

Was even able to watch the Crusaders v Sharks game this morning at 8am :D

Advertisement