Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quit Job for new one

• 06-03-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

OK so I was offered a new job in an area I have been trying to get into. I accepted and left my job last wed as I was meant to start the new role tomorrow.

However they have told me that they have the dates mixed up and the contract is not due to start until Apr 4th so I now have a month of no work.

Would I be eligible to get the dole for the next few weeks to cover me? I know that technically quitting my last role would make me ineligible to collect dole but as it was done on the pretext that I was meant to be starting the new role tomorrow would there be anyway around?

Cheers frAg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You have no Welfare entitlement. I think you may also have a typo in the thread title. Should it not be "Quit" instead of "Quite"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

yes it should, thanks for that.

So even though I quit with the full intention of starting a new role which has been put back by a month I cannot claim for those 3-4 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

go down to your swo and explain your situation if you have paid the appropriate prsi contributions then it shouldnt be a problem getting jsb for the the 3/4 wks

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

edellc wrote: »
    go down to your swo and explain your situation if you have paid the appropriate prsi contributions then it shouldnt be a problem getting jsb for the the 3/4 wks

But the OP won't be actively seeking work as he already has a job coming up in April. And the fact that you quit your last job means that there would be a waiting period before you could claim, IMO its not worth your while for the 3/4 weeks your outta work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It would be advisable to commence claim with SW. The OP had just cause for leaving job and, although I hope I'm wrong in my judgement, any employer who makes such an error on a new employee's start date may not be the most reliable.

• Advertisement

culsoh wrote: »
    But the OP won't be actively seeking work as he already has a job coming up in April. And the fact that you quit your last job means that there would be a waiting period before you could claim, IMO its not worth your while for the 3/4 weeks your outta work.

yes it is worth the OP's time do you know anything about the welfare system :confused: if a person has paid the relevant prsi contributions then there is no waiting time (JSB) and is entitled to YES entitled to claim for the few weeks until work commences and in that time the OP may seek other employment
    And if the OP explains the situation to the SWO there should be no problem but there is no harm in going down and starting the claim why should someone who has paid their contributions live in poverty due to the inefficiency of an employer even if it is for a few weeks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

edellc wrote: »
    yes it is worth the OP's time do you know anything about the welfare system :confused: if a person has paid the relevant prsi contributions then there is no waiting time (JSB) and is entitled to YES entitled to claim for the few weeks until work commences and in that time the OP may seek other employment
    And if the OP explains the situation to the SWO there should be no problem but there is no harm in going down and starting the claim why should someone who has paid their contributions live in poverty due to the inefficiency of an employer even if it is for a few weeks :eek:

Yes but I thought that the OP would have to of been let go from his current job to be eligable, not leave from his own accord?

weather op left or was let go they need to go down to the swo yes there are times when if you walk out of a job regardless of prsi contributions you have to wait a few weeks for payments however this really does depend on who you speak to in there you can get a wagon who is a jobs worth and wont waiver from the rules or you can get some one with common sense and who listens and sees that through no fault of the op's own they are now without income and if the relevant prsi contributions are paid waiver the waiting time :) hail common sense :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

edel there are rules for schemes for a reason - its got nothing to do with being a "wagon" and more with doing their job and what they get paid for.
    OP every case is evaluated on its own accord. Go in to your local office and explain your case - they need to take a claim from you and make a decision, if you are not happy you can appeal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Social welfare appeals take anything up to 7 months to get a decision. Not much good to anyone at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

afaik, if you quit your job, you aren't eligible for JSB for up to a maximum of 9 weeks, but it's at the discretion of your case worker. (S)he may decide that you get benefit from week 2 or 3 etc of your unemployement. You need to explain the circumstances under which you left your job, and they can take this into account when deciding when your JSB will kick in.

I guess you could say you're available to work for the month between contracts, which should make you eligible for assistance, and sure if you get a few days work while you're waiting, even better :cool:

(assuming you've paid enough contributions to qualify for JSB obviously!)

Advertisement