Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New playground in Ennis

• 06-03-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I went today with my kids and noticed it strewn with cans, empty bottles etc.
    I just cannot understand why the louts of the town, that are causing this mess cannot stay away from this one, can they not use the one they have ruined for the last 10 years?
    Makes my blood boil :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm a regular visitor to the town. Where is the new playground situated? I stopped going to the playground in Tim Smyth park as most of the play equipment was in a poor state of repair. I have friends living in Corofin and they have a lovely playground. I believe there are playground facilities in Lees Road, I haven't been been there yet. Ennis is crying out for a decent playground within walking distance of the town centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

It is in the top pitch/running track area of the Fair Green or Tim Smyth Park, there is also a teenage playground area going down beside the CBS afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

That park has always looked a bit messy in general. It's strange because the council do a pretty decent job of keeping the rest of the town clean and whoever does the flowers is top notch. At least they have those rubber mats now I think that's fantastic. I saw too many near death experiences when I was a child with kids cracking their head off tarmacadam.

Used be absolutely filthy when I was a kid in the 80's. I've got fond memories of being chased around the park by some other kid who'd found a discarded syringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

I drove past on Sat the place was absolutely jammers. Great to see an eminity being utilised.

I really despair if its true about the litter?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

golfball37 wrote: »
    I drove past on Sat the place was absolutely jammers. Great to see an eminity being utilised.

I really despair if its true about the litter?:mad:

There aren't any litter bins in the park yet.

• Advertisement

the council do a pretty decent job of keeping the rest of the town clean and whoever does the flowers is top notch. Used be absolutely filthy when I was a kid in the 80's. I've got fond memories of being chased around the park by some other kid who'd found a discarded syringe.

I agree, Ennis Town Council have done a wonderful job on the flower beds around the town and I love the sculpture trail as well :)

The sculptures are absolutely hideous in my opinion. The cartoon man wearing combats over by Hermitage needs to go. Back in the day that area was full of vandalism and anti-social behavour. The youth of today..they're probably too busy staying indoors calling people names on X-box Live to contribute something back to the community.

The sculptures are in absolutely hideous in my opinion. The cartoon man wearing combats over by Hermitage needs to go. .
    I'm referring to the (stone) sculpture trail with sculptures created by Barry Wrafter, Shane Gilmore, Carmel O Doherty, Diarmuid O'Twohig & Co. I think these sculptures are a wonderful addition to the town.

I'm intrigued by the "cartoon character in combats" that you are referring to. Where exactly is it situated? I wouldn't mind seeing it the next time I'm in Ennis.

Oh right I think those are a separate initiative. They did some other thing about 10 years ago with stone statues. It's been a while since I've looked at combat trousers. I assume it's still in the little car park opposite the entrance to the tennis club.

We've also got a totem pole on the Kilrush road which was part of the same scheme.

Shapey Fiend, you are not referring to the sculpture in children's memorial garden are you? I know that unfortunately that has been vandalised a few times.

• Advertisement

I hope not. Only a really horrible person could dislike a childrens memorial garden.

Shapey Fiend, the search for the combat character goes on.... However, I think Ennis Town Council should receive some credit for their involvement in the Children's Garden of Remembrance. I think it is beautiful!

This sculpture in limestone features a child releasing a butterfly and is the focal point of the Children's Garden of Remembrance, opened to the public on 11th November, 2000. It was sculpted by Jose Croft and Australian artist living in Ennis, and was funded by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Ennis Urban District Council and the Bereaved Parents Association of Ireland.

The garden commemorates all children who died before their time.

3992846121_2366cb4863_z.jpg

That's the one!

That's the one!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Shapey Fiend, if you're seeing that as "a cartoon character in combats", you need to make an appointment with Specsavers asap my friend :)

I think you'll find he's wearing combat trousers if you had a profile shot.

I'd defend my position but I'm worried we're getting a little off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

the place is filthy. it's sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

gav240 wrote: »
    the place is filthy. it's sad to see.
    It really is depressing
    I know there aren't any bins yet, but there is no excuse for dropping rubbish in the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

It is not just rubbish there has been youths drinking there at night as well.

Youths are always going to do that. Always been the way. Up to the council to try and sort it in a timely fashion. They keep the rest of the town in good order just a matter of them being reminded about this spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The playground should have high fences all around, lockable gates, litter bins and be locked outside the hours that kids of the age for which it is intended would be normally using it. Seems it is destined to be wrecked within a short time, which is a pity for the kids who love it. What was the Council thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Balagan wrote: »
    The playground should have high fences all around, lockable gates, litter bins and be locked outside the hours that kids of the age for which it is intended would be normally using it. Seems it is destined to be wrecked within a short time, which is a pity for the kids who love it. What was the Council thinking?

Why should the council spend a fortune that they don't have in preventing access to the park?
    This is an anti social behaviour problem and is therefore for the Gardai to deal with

Having said that can we wait until the park is finished and the bins provided etc etc before jumping the gun & complaining about the amenities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

With the new CCTV system which encompasses the town, I'm betting they are watching this. If you have read the Champion in recent weeks you would notice the high number of court cases which are now using CCTV footage.

There have been a parade of scumbags that were all done in by the CCTV. They usually get away with their crime, at first, only to be picked up at home a few days later.

I'm not sure that is the case here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

what i dont get is why during "the boom" didnt they do up the old playground?? now in a recession they build a new one!! there is no logic to it???
    bet the new one will be covered in rubbers and cans like the old one in no time:mad:

alibride wrote: »
    what i dont get is why during "the boom" didnt they do up the old playground?? now in a recession they build a new one!! there is no logic to it???
    bet the new one will be covered in rubbers and cans like the old one in no time:mad:
    The reality is that in a recession a lot of parents can no longer afford to pay to take their children to indoor play centres. Most of these places charge €6 (approx) per hour/per child. It is great that Ennis Town Council created a new playground, I just hope that the Gardaí will clamp down on any anti-social behaviour that occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Why should the council spend a fortune that they don't have in preventing access to the park?
    This is an anti social behaviour problem and is therefore for the Gardai to deal with?

I would have thought it was up to the parents to deal with. No?

With regard to bins, I know in Dublin they stopped putting them in public areas because louts were lighting fires in them.

The playground in lees road is lovely, and, thankfully, no vandalism - probably because it's a bit harder for them to access!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

woggie wrote: »
    I would have thought it was up to the parents to deal with. No?

With regard to bins, I know in Dublin they stopped putting them in public areas because louts were lighting fires in them.

The playground in lees road is lovely, and, thankfully, no vandalism - probably because it's a bit harder for them to access!

Anti Social Behaviour is almost by definition carried out by kids (13-17) whose parents don't give a damn

Ennis has more than 1 community Garda they can keep an eye on the situation in the park and if underage drinking becomes a feature resulting in rubbish being left around etc etc then the Gardai will deal with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 floating voter

Was there today. The place is a disgrace and downright dangerous for young children. It is full of teenagers climbing up the slides inside and outside. They are gathered in groups smoking right in front of the children.

The level of out of control horseplay is going to lead to a serious accident. We wont be returning, my daughter (5) got a kick in the head by some lout who jumped down the slide on top of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Was there today. The place is a disgrace and downright dangerous for young children. It is full of teenagers climbing up the slides inside and outside. They are gathered in groups smoking right in front of the children.

The level of out of control horseplay is going to lead to a serious accident. We wont be returning, my daughter (5) got a kick in the head by some lout who jumped down the slide on top of her.

Thats a disgrace, I hope you had words with that person. There is a lovely playground at Lees Road and in Tulla which I prefer as the one in Ennis is just too busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Sorry to hear about your daughter's injury. Don't want to be alarmist about it but you should have her medically checked. Also, report the matter to the Gardai.

There was an article in The Clare Champion a few months ago, a long one, about all the new Community Gardai in the area, even naming the Gardai. I can't find the article online but found the one below from The Clare People. It gives a great expectation of 'increased' bicycle patrols by Gardai but I, for one, have seen no evidence of this coming to fruition.

http://www.clarepeople.com/wordp5/201011074316/more-garda-bicycle-patrols-planned-for-ennis/

• Advertisement

babygirlz wrote: »
    Thats a disgrace, I hope you had words with that person. There is a lovely playground at Lees Road and in Tulla which I prefer as the one in Ennis is just too busy.
    There are lovely playgrounds in Corofin and Killaloe too.

Advertisement