Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New playground in Ennis

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Regarding the new playground in Ennis, I am delighted to see that they have erected exercise machines for adults. Public exercise areas for adults are commonly found in Spain, but this is the first place in Ireland that I have seen such a facility. Well done to Ennis Town Council!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Clareboy wrote: »
    Regarding the new playground in Ennis, I am delighted to see that they have erected exercise machines for adults. Public exercise areas for adults are commonly found in Spain, but this is the first place in Ireland that I have seen such a facility. Well done to Ennis Town Council!

If you're ever in Cavan town they have something similar there too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Clareboy wrote: »

Is that what they are, I hadn't a clue what they were for :o. Thanks Clare boy.

Did anyone see the report in the Clare People today about youths urinating on the slide? :eek: They are going to install cctv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I believe that they installed CCTV in another playground in Ennis and it made absolutely no difference, the anti social behaviour and vandalism still continued. I've heard some very positive reports about the new playground from parents who have taken their children there. It must be so disheartening for Ennis Town Council to read reports of anti social behaviour. I will be bringing my wipes sterilizing and spray with me when I visit the playground at Easter time :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I believe that they installed CCTV in another playground in Ennis and it made absolutely no difference, the anti social behaviour and vandalism still continued. I've heard some very positive reports about the new playground from parents who have taken their children there. It must be so disheartening for Ennis Town Council to read reports of anti social behaviour. I will be bringing my wipes sterilizing and spray with me when I visit the playground at Easter time :(.

And I will be bringing my grandchildren too, minus the antibacterial wipes. Let them muck in! Good for their immune system. Clean their hands before they eat
    God! I'd love to come down that blue chute.

• Advertisement

And I will be bringing my grandchildren too, minus the antibacterial wipes. Let them muck in! Good for their immune system. Clean their hands before they eat
    God! I'd love to come down that blue chute.
    The reason I will be bringing my wipes and spray is because teenagers have been caught p1ssing on the slides and swings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

The youth of today..they're probably too busy staying indoors calling people names on X-box Live to contribute something back to the community.

:eek: completely unnecessary, im only 19 and iv worked my a$$ off for the last 6 years, in college but still pay tax and have respect enough not to call people names. and enough respect not to tar everyone with the same brush and be judgemental. the playground where i live gets locked at 8 every evening and has 2 litter bins, that sounds like your problem stop blaming the youth! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Taylor21 wrote: »
    :eek: completely unnecessary, im only 19 and iv worked my a$$ off for the last 6 years, in college but still pay tax and have respect enough not to call people names. and enough respect not to tar everyone with the same brush and be judgemental. the playground where i live gets locked at 8 every evening and has 2 litter bins, that sounds like your problem stop blaming the youth! :mad:

You're also not representative of the people he is referring to, then.

I don't think you got outraged enough there. We young 'uns have to stand up for ourselves.

Avast, Shapey, avast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Well its not pensioners urinating on the slides is it????;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you want to get into a debate around the follies of youth or the failures of generalisations, find somewhere else to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

I'm just saying like we have as many troublemakers where I am but a playground should be locked at night when its not in use. We also have a guy being paid to watch it but he doesn't :confused: I think thats a bit mad paying someone to do a job like that when they don't actually have to do anything at all but it could be the answer to the one in Ennis. But I don't see why because if its vadalism and defecating then thats a job for the Gardai.

I'm just saying like we have as many troublemakers where I am but a playground should be locked at night when its not in use. We also have a guy being paid to watch it but he doesn't :confused: I think thats a bit mad paying someone to do a job like that when they don't actually have to do anything at all but it could be the answer to the one in Ennis. But I don't see why because if its vadalism and defecating then thats a job for the Gardai.
    The Garda station is literally a 2 minute walk from the playground.Anyway, I never see Gardai on foot patrol in Ennis.I actually wonder what they do.A Garda presence on the streets would put a stop to alot of the shoite that goes on in town.Sadly, there isnt one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    The Garda station is literally a 2 minute walk from the playground.Anyway, I never see Gardai on foot patrol in Ennis.I actually wonder what they do.A Garda presence on the streets would put a stop to alot of the shoite that goes on in town.Sadly, there isnt one.

That's a lie, the Gardaí are always on patrol. Anytime I'm in town day/night I always spot a Garda or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Ennis is CRAWLING with Gardai 24/7 PLUS bicycle cops how can you possibly saw you never see any of them?

And i defy anyone to walk in "Two minutes" from the gate of the garda station to the entrance to the court house never mind to the new area of the park near lifford road

Prone to exaggeration a wee bit aren't ya? :D

There has been a lot of criticism of the Gardai in respect of their failure to regularly patrol some of the more troublesome council estates in the town.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    There has been a lot of criticism of the Gardai in respect of their failure to regularly patrol some of the more troublesome council estates in the town.

Perhaps related to the bottles that get fired at them when they do?
    Thinking of one old area of the town in particular that provides difficulties for patrols

Having said that where are you hearing this criticism? A lot of criticism seems a tad unfair! Links?

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Perhaps related to the bottles that get fired at them when they do?
    Thinking of one old area of the town in particular that provides difficulties for patrols

Having said that where are you hearing this criticism? A lot of criticism seems a tad unfair! Links?
    I'm conscious that we are going off thread here but to answer your question I heard it from the horses mouth (so to speak). I completely understand why they would be reluctant to enter some of these estates because unfortunately there is little or no respect shown to members of the force by a minority living in these areas. I have deliberately not mentioned names of estates as there are lots of hardworking and decent people in these places whose lives are made hell by a few. I believe that CCTV cameras has been installed in some of these estates so I hope that these will act as some sort of deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It is not just the 'problem' estates that the police avoid. They are conspiciously absent from still good estates which need garda attention to stay that way. And community policing is not carried out by swinging by in a police car with the windows closed every two weeks or so or only when they come to deal with an incident or follow up. We read many reports in the C Champion and C People about the upgrading of community policing in Ennis but is there anyone on here who regularly see police out on bikes or walking in public authority estates or some other estates that need their presence and are not gone to hell already? Are they talking to the kids and teenagers and youth and building a healthy connection? I'd love to hear that they are.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

this might be a bit off topic but theres also been vandalism at the new Lahinch playground aswell, listening on clare fm gards are going to put cctv up at the playground and have cleaned it now so people can go in. The playground was partly funded by the council and then by the local people. It's a shame to see all this happening by youth as it is for them.:(

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Ennis is CRAWLING with Gardai 24/7 PLUS bicycle cops how can you possibly saw you never see any of them?

And i defy anyone to walk in "Two minutes" from the gate of the garda station to the entrance to the court house never mind to the new area of the park near lifford road

Prone to exaggeration a wee bit aren't ya? :D
    No, I never see em. If you cant do that walk in two minutes you must be an unfit individual.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

According to google it'll take 5 minutes
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Abbey+St&daddr=Steeles+Terrace&hl=en&geocode=FfVgJgMdcfN2_w%3BFTloJgMdgfR2_w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=18&dirflg=w&sll=52.847503,-8.981017&sspn=0.002728,0.008256&ie=UTF8&z=18

I have to say that the number of guards on the streets of Ennis has increased a lot in the past few years, there's also a lot of CCTV cameras around the place, you often see squad cars, bikes, unmarked cars and "beat" guards around the place.

No, I never see em. If you cant do that walk in two minutes you must be an unfit individual.;)

Do it and time yourself
    Unless your jogging there's not a hope

I'll have you know I'm fair fit 6ft and its all leg :cool:

Clareman wrote: »
    According to google it'll take 5 minutes
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Abbey+St&daddr=Steeles+Terrace&hl=en&geocode=FfVgJgMdcfN2_w%3BFTloJgMdgfR2_w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=18&dirflg=w&sll=52.847503,-8.981017&sspn=0.002728,0.008256&ie=UTF8&z=18

I have to say that the number of guards on the streets of Ennis has increased a lot in the past few years, there's also a lot of CCTV cameras around the place, you often see squad cars, bikes, unmarked cars and "beat" guards around the place.
    Id say between 2-4 minutes:D.There are a lot of CCTV cameras in town alright.These were badly needed. Town had got very nasty on weekend nights.

Councillor’s daughter 'struck' at in Tim Smythe Park

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6116:councillors-daughter-struck-at-in-tim-smythe-park&catid=41:politics&Itemid=60

Written by Jessica Quinn - Clare Champion Newspaper

An ennis councillor has told how his daughter was “struck” at while using the new playground at Tim Smythe Park in the town.

Another member of Ennis Town Council urged that teenagers caught carrying out anti-social behaviour at the playground be shamed by being entered into a “bonny baby” competition.
    Councillor Johnny Flynn this week continued his call for the park to be fenced in, comparing those carrying out anti-social behaviour in the area to “terrorists” who are “destroying community facilities”.
    At this week’s meeting of Ennis Town Council, Councillor Flynn urged the council to consider putting in place physical controls and a management plan in a bid to counter anti-social behaviour in the area.
    He praised the facilities at the playground, describing them as “world standard”. however he added that anti-social behaviour has been putting pressure on users of the playground and those who live nearby.
    Councillor Flynn argued that in order to enforce bylaws preventing unlawful entry, the park must be enclosed. He outlined that his daughter was struck while using the playground, although she was not seriously hurt.
    “There is a sector of society that seems to think they are controlling the playground. we can’t let small groups dictate how people use the playground,” he said.
    Fellow councillor Mary Howard suggested a novel bonny baby competition. “It could be for up to 16 or 17-year-olds. we need to think outside the box to tackle anti-social behaviour. With these kids it’s a peer group thing,” she said.
    Councillor Paul O’Shea commented that recent events at the playground are “a sad reflection on society”.
    He called on the council to urge the government to legislate that anybody caught engaging in anti-social behaviour would have to carry out community service.
    Councillor Tommy Brennan outlined that lights and CCTV cameras are due to be installed soon at the playground. He also raised the issue of illegal parking and urged the double yellow lines be installed.
    Town manager Ger Dollard told councillors talks are ongoing with gardaí in relation to the playground. He stated the double yellow lines could be considered in conjunction with residents and the gardaí.
    He expressed concerns about fencing in the playground saying, “The jury is still out; if we do fence the playground, do we continue and fence the adult area and older people area, and then do we ringfence the entire Tim Smythe Park?”
    He outlined there would be cost issues, along with concerns about possible liability if somebody was hurt on the fence.
    Councillor Brian Meaney commented that at certain points any possible fence would have to be 12ft tall and he urged that this would be a “course of last action”. “It could prove very costly in a number of respects, if people found themselves falling from 12ft,” he said.
    He suggested that the playground be allowed time to grow in a more orderly way. Councillor Michael Guilfoyle spoke of how he witnessed a dozen 12 to 14-year-olds in the playground at night. He suggested signs be erected to inform people of the age group for the playground equipment.
    “I was prepared to wait and see but the more times I’ve been there, the more negativity I get out of it. This playground was never more needed in town than it is today, with the price of petrol and people unable to bring their kids away. If someone climbs on the fence the council could be liable if they were hurt but if someone is assaulted on the grounds I would hate to see what would come out of that,” Councillor Guilfoyle said.
    Councillor Meaney suggested that an assessment of the cost of a fence, as well as a risk assessment, be put in place.
    Councillor Peter Considine stated he is “absolutely against” fencing in the facility and stated that if the culprits of anti-social behaviour are identifiable the matter should be brought before the Joint Policing Committee.
    Councillor Mary Howard added that she believed the “novelty factor” of the playground would have worn off by now. She recalled how at the last meeting she had asked what the parents of these children were doing about the matter.
    “Last week I was at the new teenage area and I saw a young couple with their children force their way in. This is what the parents are doing,” she said.
    Councillor Frankie Neylon told how he has witnessed teenagers “abuse everyone in the park”. He told how overseas children are not allowed in play areas unaccompanied and he recommended educating young people, adding “the solution is with the parents”.
    “We have to give this a bit of time before we make an evaluation. It needs to be done right in the first place, otherwise we can fence it now and then what’s next, electrifying it,” he said.
    Councillor Mary Coote Ryan urged that double yellow lines be extended in the area.
    It was agreed to defer the matter for consideration at a later meeting of the council to see the effects of CCTV and lighting on the situation. The matter will also be brought before the Joint Policing Committee. Town clerk Eddie Power also informed the members that the court service have obliged to allow users of the playground to park at the courthouse during the day.

Advertisement