Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horseman?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Giddy up out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

and you want to hold your horses there people :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Dublin city experienced a very enjoyable display of culture yesterday.Did anyone read the news of the world yesterday about the family from Dundalk that also experienced a lovely outbreak of culture?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Man that is so embarrassing for us :(

There's so many constraints to this place at least on the Peoples Republic Of Cork site you can say whatever you wan't.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There's so many constraints to this place at least on the Peoples Republic Of Cork site you can say whatever you wan't.:pac:

Well go post there then.

super-rush wrote: »
    Well go post there then.

Bye.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Wossack wrote: »
    Unfortunately there'll always be those few that'll ruin it for the rest and stirrup trouble
    I agree, they have no place in mane stream society.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Bambi wrote: »
    Indeed, tis unbridled anarchy.
    Wossack wrote: »
    I wonder who's gonna get saddled with the cost of all that..!

I just think they should have tried to keep the situation more stable. It sounds like it was a right night-mare.
    I agree, they have no place in mane stream society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

I'm astonished by the use of an "improvised shotgun", how in the feck do you improvise a shotgun? Is that like McGuyver locked in a room with an umbrella, a Pritt Stick and a horse shoe? Surely if they can make their own shotguns at home we should have them masterminding large scale engineering projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

sagat2 wrote: »
    I'm astonished by the use of an "improvised shotgun", how in the feck do you improvise a shotgun? Is that like McGuyver locked in a room with an umbrella, a Pritt Stick and a horse shoe? Surely if they can make their own shotguns at home we should have them masterminding large scale engineering projects.

length of strong metal tubing, explosive to use as a propellant (preferably gunpowder), some projectiles?? - balls/foolishness to trust your design - probably ball-less if it goes wrong.

either that or they acted out "man with shotgun" so well RTE believed it was real.

frankly I though it was indicative of stupidity they couldn't lay their hands on a real one (unless not having a real one is one less criminal offence...cant really see that being a concern though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not that hard to improvise one, they're fairly common in some third world countries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

realies wrote: »
    I would like to point out that an awful lot of the people that go there are not travellers but :horse owners: from the likes of Finglas,Ballyfermot,Tallaght,Clondalkin and other areas.

What's the difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

conorhal wrote: »
    Meh, so is a well organized stag hunt, that we can ban but the really substantial abuse of animals that takes place at that market by the kind of people that have made Ireland a by-word for animal cruelty around the world, (New York Times had an article about abandoned horses starving to death in fields around Ireland) that we ignore, those numpty Greens really had their priorities backwards.

The council talk about trying to ban the event but claim that they were unable to, me bollix, if you tried to stage an event like that some council official would crawl up your bum looking for paper work, permits and a health and safety assessment. The reality is that they just don’t want the hassle of crossing the knackers.

+ 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The travelling community were always known for their skills in tinkering around with metals.

So far as I know thats how the name 'tinkers' came about for them.

I guess since its part of their culture its something we must cherish, ya know - making shotguns and shooting each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

k_mac wrote: »
    At least you're oppinions are informed and well thought out. There was 5 times the ratio of Gardaí at the event then at any other event. Both the Gardaí and council tried to cancel the event. It's not like they can ban travellers congregating.

Surely if they really wanted to stop a group of any individuals congregating in any capacity then it is possible,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I was thinking the same about the improvised shotgun.

It's takes some skill and knowledge to do this.

So a pity they wouldn't put their metalworking skills to legal use, maybe setup a business and create some employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I was thinking the same about the improvised shotgun.

It's takes some skill and knowledge to do this.

So a pity they wouldn't put their metalworking skills to legal use, maybe setup a business and create some employment

Maybe rifling a barrel will take some skill, but a shotgun is a smoothbore, I dont think it would really, still wouldnt fancy testing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

its fair to say , that many here have never talked to a traveller , just brain washed by the Sunday World stereotypes - has it been proven that those involved were actually travellers ? not that it should matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Enough is enough. The 'traveller' 'community' is rife with crime / violence. I'm tired of seeing these people move into areas and destroy them. I'm tired of seeing them ruin halting sites designed specifically for them. I'm tired of them getting away with everything because as things stand society seems to value their rights above the rights of others. I'm tired of it. Now they're shooting guns in Dublin city in broad daylight.

And don't talk to me about 'incitement to hatred.' They show what they think of civilised society by their actions. I'm supposed to sit here and just think 'I'd better not say something off about these poeple?' Get a grip. Hopefully the government will step in here and do something finally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

my view is, and has always been, that a family that look out for theirs regardless are dopey scum. any traveller i have enjoyed the company of had long since removed emselves from the gang clan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Why on earth did Tourism Ireland have this fair highlighted on their website as a "tourist attraction"? What's next, the delights of Ballyfermot? Southill in the summertime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

they did?! yikes :o morto!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Merch wrote: »
    Surely if they really wanted to stop a group of any individuals congregating in any capacity then it is possible,

Yes. They can declare them an illegal organisation. This has only ever been done with the IRA. I doubt travellers will be put on the list though. Otherwise it is a basic right to be allowed freedom of association.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

thebaz wrote: »
    its fair to say , that many here have never talked to a traveller , just brain washed by the Sunday World stereotypes - has it been proven that those involved were actually travellers ? not that it should matter

Eh, every Irish news organisation covered the story ranging from the rags to the Irish Times and RTE. Each one has linked the violence to traveller feuds. Even Pavee Point have said it was members of the Travelling community who were involved. :confused:

They all have obviously been brain washed by the Sunday World apparently :P

They all have obviously been brain washed by the Sunday World apparently :P

well reading some of the bile here , obviously a fair few few have been brainwashed by stereotypes - if it was any other race of people, it would be deemed rascist, i guess its ok to be racsist against your own kind here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

well reading some of the bile here , obviously a fair few few have been brainwashed by stereotypes - if it was any other race of people, it would be deemed rascist, i guess its ok to be racsist against your own kind here

Have a look at any other thread regarding violent acts in Ireland. The posters of AH are pretty unanimous at being disgusted at scumbag behaviour regardless of where you live or what "culture" you are from.

I would point out that there were animals, children, tourists and many civilians and emergency workers at this market who were put in danger by this scum behaviour and it certainly shows a lot when a poster shows more concern at being outraged at fake racism rather than the reality of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

1) Yes many of us have.
    2) Don't read Sunday World
    3) Yes, one was a 'promising boxer who's career is now destroyed by a slashook. (which we all routinely carry around the city)
    4) Yes it matters. Unless we face the elephant in the room no progress will be made.

Enough is enough. The 'traveller' 'community' is rife with crime / violence. I'm tired of seeing these people move into areas and destroy them. I'm tired of seeing them ruin halting sites designed specifically for them. I'm tired of them getting away with everything because as things stand society seems to value their rights above the rights of others. I'm tired of it. Now they're shooting guns in Dublin city in broad daylight.

And don't talk to me about 'incitement to hatred.' They show what they think of civilised society by their actions. I'm supposed to sit here and just think 'I'd better not say something off about these poeple?' Get a grip. Hopefully the government will step in here and do something finally.

That's a good question do human rights exist for everyone or do they only exist to protect certain minorities?

To be fair the people causing trouble at smithfield did not look like chinese or indian people to me or are you a racist against settled people and foreigners?:pac:

• Advertisement

To be fair the people causing trouble at smithfield did not look like chinese or indian people to me or are you a racist against settled people and foreigners?:pac:

many of us genetic Irish , Celtic whatever, me included , would find we have a bit of traveller blood in us - doesnt mean i carry a slash hook - but I have frequented Smithfield - more as an observer / photographer - many that i have met , have a lot less bul**** and honour than a few well bred bankers i could mention - sure there are a few bad apples, just like the clergy has, the human race is flawed - me included again

Advertisement